Throne of Skullz - July 2012

Captain Idaho

Bit early seeing as the April one isn't even finished as I type this, but this thread is for discussion of the summer July Throne of Skullz tournament this year. If you want to discuss an army list, pop a post in here and put a link to a thread started in the appropriate place. :o

So who's going? I'm going this year, though I can't decide yet whether I want Necrons or my Ultras to accompany me. I'm much more confident on the Ultras and am due a win since I narrowly missed out the last 2 ToS as top Marines player! :jaw:

I have the usual theme for my Ultras, though I'm going to see about fitting a Vindicator in instead of a second Dread. Nurglez, I blame you for that one!

Last time I went, I was the only Draigo wing (that I could see). Though a few of my opponents had picked up the grey knight codex and said they were interested in it (what have I done!). Dunno that I can go to the July one, 3 year anniversary with my girlfriend that month so probably unlikely to get extra time off then :o but should be going to the October one :jaw:

Although on the whole 1500pts tournaments aren't as full of cheese as 1750pts, there will still be a fair bit of edam at the ToS.

Funnily enough, many people can be elitist (not accusing anyone here of that) with the ToS, stating it isn't a competetive tournament. That is rubbish! It's more varied but if you win your games you will see some competetive players just like anywhere else.

I would say the lack of a prize makes it less competitive combined with their scoring system. Although when I was there I did seem to be the only grey knight player without a Psyrifle dread or 2...

I'm sure on the top tables there would be some rather decent lists/players.

I would say the lack of a prize makes it less competitive combined with their scoring system. Although when I was there I did seem to be the only grey knight player without a Psyrifle dread or 2...

Depends on the usage of the word competetive I guess. The actual winners and losers to me doesn't mean anything to me regarding the word competetive, rather it's how many people there are taking the hard and fast lists which make fairies cry...

But I agree; some of the hard core nut cases won't turn up. I hear rumblings about some tournaments out there which are immensely difficult and competetive.

Still, good players can still be found at the ToS, as you acknowledged nurglez (just so you don't think I'm disputing your comment matey).

I can imagine that a tournament with a £1000 prize will bring out more "WAAC" gamers then one with no prize at all. I'm not belittling ToS at all, I had so much fun last time I helped convince 3 friends to come with me to this one :tu:.

Yeah I expect some skewed results if the new edition is released before this tournament. I fancy it will be a challenge to be that experienced with the rules to the extent most of us would like.

Just have to wait and see.

I for one though will be happy if they fix many of the problems in 40k in time for this tournament!

I'm planning on going, would be nice to see some of the other B&C-ers again to go with those I met at April last year :P. Would have done April this year, but finances didn't line up in time for me to get a ticket before they sold out :/

Awesome mate, be great to see you again!

Any others of your lot going?

I just got back from April ToS with my Dark Eldar - won 4, lost 1, missed getting top Dark Eldar player because the only other Dark Eldar player who went 4-1 had a prettier army list! GAH :)

By prettier I mean his was printed and mine wasn't.... because my printer crashed. Not that I'm bitter ;). I even beat the guy who eventually won best Dark Eldar player - how's that for irony? :) Though to be fair to Rob the luck was on my side that game.

Anyway - it was really fun, excellent atmosphere. But it is confusing when people mistake that for none competitive, there were Draigowings, Double Lash, Fatecrushers, Mini-leafblowers and all sorts of 'Internet' lists - people want to win and take strong armies, it's just that there was a distinctive lack of WAAC jerks. It was really nice.

On the top tables, everything was light hearted - all my opponents were great and there wasn't a single 'awkward' game.

About Grey Knights, the guy who beat me on table two had 4 Psyflemen (one was venerable) - pretty much the maximum pain for an army of Av10 skimmers like mine is.

He was 4-0 after that, then he lost his final match vs Deathing (the overall winner who went 5-0) so he ended up missing on best GK player by one point (another GK won 4 drew 1).

It was an awesome event - depending on money and commitments, I guess I'll have to see about July.

I can tell you one thing though, my army list is going to be BEAUTIFUL :P

I think I might grab a ticket for this and maybe enter a friends blood angels army instead of my own Wolves.

The Jan one was a good day and although there are things I didn't enjoy about the day i enjoyed it more than I didn't.

I was at ToS this weekend, and from what I could see I was the only "pure" draigowing (though I may be mistaken), though there were at least 2-3 other Draigo's (I lost my Draigo in a duel with a superior copy in my second game...).

Psyrifle dread's were many, and it's a shame I can't come to the july ToS, though I fully intend to go to the October one.

I was at ToS this weekend, and from what I could see I was the only "pure" draigowing (though I may be mistaken), though there were at least 2-3 other Draigo's (I lost my Draigo in a duel with a superior copy in my second game...).

Psyrifle dread's were many, and it's a shame I can't come to the july ToS, though I fully intend to go to the October one.

Yeah my friend Tom had 2 Psyflemen in his list.... and so did the opponent he played in turn one! Hah. Seems like a lot of Draigowings fought each other.

How did your list go, Nurglez? I see from photos you took a Dreadknight. What was your whole list?

Yeah my friend Tom had 2 Psyflemen in his list.... and so did the opponent he played in turn one! Hah. Seems like a lot of Draigowings fought each other.

How did your list go, Nurglez? I see from photos you took a Dreadknight. What was your whole list?

My list was Draigo, 15 pallies with 6 psycannons and a smattering of halberds, swords hammers and 1 falchion, and a DK with personal teleporter, heavy incinerator and great sword.

I won my first 2 games, then played against a deathwing army (26 terminators, 21 of which had thunder hammer stormshields), I conceded at the start of my 5th turn as the 2 units I had left were fleeing (draigo + 10 pallies in cover being charged by Belial and 5 deathwing = 7 dead pallies). I then drew both my 4th and 5th games. I came joint 3rd out of all grey knights with 11 points (getting at least 2 favourite army votes).

My list was Draigo, 15 pallies with 6 psycannons and a smattering of halberds, swords hammers and 1 falchion, and a DK with personal teleporter, heavy incinerator and great sword.

I won my first 2 games, then played against a deathwing army (26 terminators, 21 of which had thunder hammer stormshields), I conceded at the start of my 5th turn as the 2 units I had left were fleeing (draigo + 10 pallies in cover being charged by Belial and 5 deathwing = 7 dead pallies). I then drew both my 4th and 5th games. I came joint 3rd out of all grey knights with 11 points (getting at least 2 favourite army votes).

Aha - Right, good work - you tied with my mate Tom (ticked number 4)!

Were the Deathwing Red? That would have been Yiaw's army - the overall winner.

How do you find Deathwing with a Dreadknight?

Yes, the one game I lost was to Yiaw, the tos winner, which made it slightly better. Quite a few gk were on 11points <_<

I prefer the dk because of the heavy incinerator. Vs pathfinders or scouts in cover it is awesome. Combined with my dislike of the Psyrifle dread for being under costed and over spammed...

It's nice to be one of the few that doesn't use them :cuss

Yes, the one game I lost was to Yiaw, the tos winner, which made it slightly better. Quite a few gk were on 11points ;)

I prefer the dk because of the heavy incinerator. Vs pathfinders or scouts in cover it is awesome. Combined with my dislike of the Psyrifle dread for being under costed and over spammed...

It's nice to be one of the few that doesn't use them :D

Hehe yeah the Psyflemen are pretty commonplace in GK armies! Horrible devices that they are :)

So does your army only give away 4 Kill points? That's pretty funny - my friend, when the first scenario was rolled, was like ''Yes!!! Kill Points!!'' then he got to the table and was up against another Draigo wing with the exact same number of units :D

I was the same, though I played vs orks. As soon as kill points was announced I apologized to my opponent.

When the last game was kill points I felt pretty confident, til I went up against dual lash with 6 oblits... Just managed a draw there heh.

Just Paid for my ticket, wolves grey knights or Blood angels?

Have to have some thought

are they still doing it where you can get an extra point for a good army list because I have a good idea for it?

Archived