Hobby horror stories

Just sprayed a couple of models, and one of the has turned into a disaster/ The primer has gone really thick in some areas, and on the chest (the cabelled loyalist one) it has gone so thick you couldn't seen anything and when I tried to get rid of the excess the middle the plastic just came off. Considering this is a model I hunted through my bits and got a warptalon lightning claw from a friend I'm a bit sad about it. Fortunaty, the other guy is fine apart from I had to remove some excess from his eyes/

So what are your hobby horror stories?

Did not happen to the model, but late one night, too late when I should have been sleeping, I slipped with a dull hobby knife and almost sliced off my two middle finger tips! It was so late, I did not want to wake up my wife, and I did not know if I even needed stitches or not, so I cleaned them with soap and hot water, then cold, then dried and super glued my finger tips back together, wrapped them in paper towels and tape and went to bed with them above my head. It took weeks, but I saved my finger tips and did not have to get stitches....stupid I know, but Khorne was please wih my offering that night.

As for model mishaps, I used a lighter to try a soften some plastic to make a cape more flexible and melted the entire model by accident!

Anti climatic compared to the fingers!

when I lived in Houston, I ruined several minis with primer mishaps based on temp and humidity, ending in several models covered with what looked like sand...

and once, I was priming on my second floor balcony and dropped an entire squad of assault marines down onto my neighbors patio. The only mini that survived was my AS Sgt. He is now appropriately painted and decorated.

Once accidentally knocked an awesome Ahriman conversion off of a window shelf and ruined the mini about ten years ago. I managed to rescue the model, but not the sword (which I never found). However, he was far beyond my meagre skills back then to recover. I was gutted. :)

and once, I was priming on my second floor balcony and dropped an entire squad of assault marines down onto my neighbors patio. The only mini that survived was my AS Sgt. He is now appropriately painted and decorated.

Deep strike misshap.

3 years ago it was ultra hot heer. We wanted to go to a tournament so most people put they army bags at the back of the car. I was suppose to play my friends Dark Eldar . What happened next you probably know . the models that were in the case closest to the back hatch warped and some even melted a bit . one model even managed to melt and stick to the case . I couldnt play[still had to pay for cash/hotel , tournament was paid for] and my friend lost a master class painted army . Not a good day for both of us.

I knocked a bottle of super glue on my workspace and didnt

notice it leak all around my forearm. Tried standing up and left a decent amount of skin behind. Hurt to.

And jeske that's pretty bad, imagine if it was finecast. You would have some weird looking chaos spawn.

I knocked a bottle of super glue on my workspace and notice it leak all around my forearm. Tried standing up and left a decent amount of skin behind. Hurt to.

And jeske that's pretty bad, imagine if it was finecast. You would have some weird looking chaos spawn.

I knocked a bottle of super glue on my workspace and notice it leak all around my forearm. Tried standing up and left a decent amount of skin behind. Hurt to.

This story has convinced me to rethink my nude painting habits.

Trod on a lotr Gil-Galad model, and his spear impaled my foot and broke off inside my foot and I couldn't get it out (all my suitable implements were covered in glue!). I think I stopped swearing about half an hour later when the hospital gave me painkillers and extracted the speartip with a scalpel and tweezers.

I had just sprayed and basecoated all my HeroQuest minis except the heroes and the paint was drying when one my gaming buddies managed to aim the spraycan thought a lit candle when he tried to spray the heroes. Cue a whooshing sound, a lot of burning paint and two panicked 13-year olds. I can't temember what kind of paint or spray we used (not GW, I'm sure of that) or how daft we must have been to have a lit candle close to where we were spraying mini's (this was our first collective experience with them, having stuck to RPG's until then).

Somehow we managed to save the miniatures (but not his eyebrows), but the zombies that had been standing in the front row all looked like limbo dancers due to the blast and the heat. The smell of burning paint stuck with us for weeks.

My old housemate slipped with a scalpel and took half of his index fingertip off, got permanent nerve damage out of it too :tu:

I think the worst I've done is stab myself with a pin-vice right through my fingertip to the bone, took weeks to stop hurting :)

I've had a pin vice go up under my fingernail. Just got shivers down my back remembering it, hurt so bad getting it out. I've got several scars on my fingertips from craft knives. When I was younger I put all my favorite models on a shelf and one day my cat decided to chew about 12 of them to bits. Worst story is a guy I knew at college who had zero common sense. He had a clogged tube of superglue and bit into it to clear it and got a mouthful of superglue. He lost a lot of skin on his tongue and did permanent damage to his tooth enamel and a very embarrassing trip to the hospital and dentist

One of the worst things I ever did was to try to rub my eye lids clear of sleep, dust etc when the tips of my fingers were covered with superglue. Fortunately, I only got part of my eyebrows stuck (pulling them out to the root resulted in the usual cussing - not good at midnight when my parents were asleep and had told me to go to bed myself.)

Another was when I was assembling a mini and one of the Mark VI heads I had between two fingers pinged into the air and I couldn't find it. About an hour later, I took a drink of Coke and realised exactly where it went.

I never did find it. (I wasn't that desperate for heads to search for it....! :devil: )

Some of these are real horror stories. Make me shiver quite badly... Thankfully, the worst thing that happened to me was getting my fingers covered in super glue and ruining a model priming him white in bad weather conditions. It sucks to live near a massive lake ^_^

Ludovic

Well not sure it was the worst thing that has ever happened it was at the time. Had been working on a head for a conversion for a few days. It was ALMOST finished except for a few score marks for scars. I picked it up, plink it went flying through the air into deep, plush green carpet. In a panic I was crawling around the entire room searching every nook and cranny with no luck. Decided to vaccuum still with no luck. Hours later I see the little dog nibbling on some random thing he had found in the carpet..../SIGH ^_^

worst hobby horror story

I had been up for 36 hours. I was painting in the nude when I fell asleep. I awoke to a burning sensation. I had superglue from my thighs to my left armpit.

my left arm was glued to my chest, my thighs we glued together, and some "sensitive parts" were glued to the chair. after 1.5 hours of crying and prying I lost most of my chest hair and my pride.

Lets see...

Once I was home from school with a nasty cold. Bored, I decided to work on some models. I had the hobby knife in my left hand cleaning up a part when I sneezed and cut quite deep into my right thumb. Now I stick to doing everything knife related with my right hand.

I was spraying some Scouts when I knocked them off the post they were resting on. All sorts of sand and grit was stuck to the wet paint :/ Had to strip them all off again.

Purchased a large force from marines of a friend. Everything was going fine, simply strip the models and repaint them. Then I got to the drop pod. Built by a mutual friend. THIS IS THE REASON I DON'T LET PEOPLE BUILD MY MODELS!!! I might be able to salvage it...

My favorite conversion toy is a soldering iron with an exacto end (well worth the $14 I paid for it, it's paid for itself by now). One day while doing some converting work, after putting in a new blade, I set it down on the table and left it to sit and heat for the next bit I needed to trim. Bout that time there's a knock on the door comes. I stand up to go answer it, catch my foot in the cord and it whips around like Scorpion's Spear and impales, burning hot into my calf. It was a deep wound, but thankfully it self-cauterized. Hurt a hell of a lot worse coming out, than going in.

Is there some kind of Naked wargamers/painters calander or something?

no.... just, no...!

all these horror stories make my experiences seem pretty tame (thankfully on my part!). i've actually winced jsut reading a few of these

Just remembered one - about a year ago I was using a dremel to grind away some detail on a Ultramarine Tyrannic-war Veteran and the power tool skipped off of the model and ground it's way up my thumb nail and the skin immediately next to the nail. So, for a few months I had a jagged groove (it did not go in a straight line) on my thumb nail and a divot in my thumb. :o

I've got a couple.

First one: Was at an old hobby shop before it got managed out of business. I was chatting with some friends. Someone has spilled an entire bottle of superglue on the table that no one had noticed. As I was chatting I put my hand on the table, it's just a habit I have. And the entire surface of my hand and fingers went right into the puddle of supper glue. My hand wasn't so much glued to the table as it was bonded. Had to get some folks to run up to the drug store and buy about 2 quarts of nail polish remover. It took me almost 5 hours to free my hand and even then was not with out some measure of blood loose. The funny part is even after saturating the area in acetone the imprint of my hand remained on that table till the day the store closed. The manager still jokes about how much of an mark I left on that place.

second one: How I rededicated my Tzeentch Defiler to Khorne. With real blood.

I was cleaning up my work space, partially to see what was hiding on it and partially to have more then 4 square inches of work space. I ran across my old defiler and put it to the side. Now by "To the side" I mean I put it in the seat of the chair. 20 minutes later I went to sit down and received a very pointed... and piercing, reminder of where I had put the deflier. As it the banner pole of the defiler actually went through my jeans and drew blood. And not an inconsequential amount either. I mean it wasn't a risk of bleeding out or anything, but it wasn't a "Oh caught my finger on a blade" either. So, penetrated rear (no gay jokes please), bloody seat and one trashed defiler.

Archived