Help with painting Executioners

Hello fellow Bolter and chainsword members!

I´m think about starting Executioners and I have come here to ask for some help with right colours. The basic blue metallic armour is no problem for me (gunmetal washed with blue in several stages).

My question is about there second colour, the "yellow" colour. Lexcanium says that it´s yellow, I have seen some people paint it gold (or yellow) but to my eyes (if you look in Forgeworld Badab books) it looks more like copper/brass. What do you think is the correct one? Please help.

Link to picture in 40wiki:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Executioners?file=Mark_V_Vanguard_Brother.jpg

No joke, I'd actually like to see some NOT use the metallic blue, and paint a simple blue grey scheme with them.

*shrug* To each their own. Make sure to post in the WIP when you get started, brother. We'd all like to see how your Laughing Axemen look.  :)

Seeing as Executioners are SUPPOSED to be metallic colored, painting them without metallics would necessitate some kind of NMM scheme. Otherwise they'd just look like Space Wolves like you said.

Maybe it's just me, but the metallic part of their color is ingrained in their identity. When I see a metallic blue grey chapter, I think Executioners. When I see a non-metallic blue grey chapter, not so much. Though the red shield and axes are a large part of their iconic look too, maybe it could work.

An example off the top of my head is painting Grey Knights without NMM or metallic paints. It works, but I think it's more that our brains recognize their unique armor and helmets more than their color scheme.

Seeing as Executioners are SUPPOSED to be metallic colored,

Source?

According to Lexicanum (and I realise how...erratic that site can be for reliability), their armour is Silver, although the picture shown of a mini is a lot more blue. In fact nearly every model I've seen online shows them as metallic blue. Doesn't mean that this army has to follow suit msn-wink.gif

Seeing as Executioners are SUPPOSED to be metallic colored,

Source?

I based the statement off FW's IA10. I'm assuming the glossy light sheen represented by white glare on the armor represents metallic armor, since this is how FW does it. I don't know if GW has ever printed an image of Executioners in non-metallic armor but it's a possibility, especially with how much their artwork and armor diagrams have changed over the years.

According to Lexicanum (and I realise how...erratic that site can be for reliability), their armour is Silver, although the picture shown of a mini is a lot more blue. In fact nearly every model I've seen online shows them as metallic blue. Doesn't mean that this army has to follow suit msn-wink.gif

40K Wiki lists it as

Colours

Metallic Grey-Blue

I don't know if there's actually a written statement anywhere. I'm guessing most sources for their color scheme are going to be images or people describing the images.

Also their RT era scheme was grey and blue camo.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that to be a jerk, please don't take it as such sweat.gif . I just have yet to see a FW or GW painted Executioner, and after scouring IA 9 and 10, I can find no reference to the actual color being metallic or not. The images themselves could be interpreted as either metallic or not, though the picture of the Executioner dreadnought has more metallic looking shin plates in comparison to the rest of the body, which makes me want to lean in the other direction towards non-metallic:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121007234411/warhammer40k/images/b/bc/HellfireDreadnought07.png

It's subtle, but there is a difference (easier to see in the book).

Plus, saying a blue grey makes them Wolves is like saying painting black mini's makes them Raven Guard. There are so many chapters that rock black armour, it's kinda crazy. One other steel-grey chapter isn't gonna break the mold, in my opinion.

Finally, a light blue-grey, blended with the gold highlights and that orange-yellow-brown blocking pattern would make for some striking miniatures, plus highlighting and blending would be far easier to control.

All opinions, of course. smile.png

EDIT: Poor spelling, sorry.

The executioners use both a mustard yellow and a brass colour on their armour

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120410221033/warhammer40k/images/thumb/e/e5/Executioner_Captain.jpg/333px-Executioner_Captain.jpg

as far as the blue goes, there is no "official" word atm on wether it is metallic or not, therefore it is up to personal choice.. afterall most people assumed the marines errant armour was "silver" in the badab war books and not just a glossy white which is what it essentially is.

imho if i was to do them, id paint them metallic blue because i think its a more defined look for them than "blue" afterall blue marines has been done a lot.. ultramarines take basic blue, space wolves take baby blue and crimson fists take dark blue.. add in evil dark blue men (night lords) and evil normal blue men (1k sons) and just that slight difference helps them stand out without people having to look too closely.

I think if we take the recent case of Marines Errant modellers, there is room for either colour scheme. The ME's "official" scheme is blue and white halved, but there are some awesome blue and silver halved schemes too. Both are recognisable as Marines Errant. The same could be said and done for the Executioners smile.png

The executioners use both a mustard yellow and a brass colour on their armour

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120410221033/warhammer40k/images/thumb/e/e5/Executioner_Captain.jpg/333px-Executioner_Captain.jpg

as far as the blue goes, there is no "official" word atm on wether it is metallic or not, therefore it is up to personal choice.. afterall most people assumed the marines errant armour was "silver" in the badab war books and not just a glossy white which is what it essentially is.

imho if i was to do them, id paint them metallic blue because i think its a more defined look for them than "blue" afterall blue marines has been done a lot.. ultramarines take basic blue, space wolves take baby blue and crimson fists take dark blue.. add in evil dark blue men (night lords) and evil normal blue men (1k sons) and just that slight difference helps them stand out without people having to look too closely.

Tell you what... You're one of the best painters I know, Lorenzen; prove me wrong. If you're up for it, I'll paint an Executioner with a non-metallic scheme, and you paint one with a metallic scheme, and we'll compare. You down, brother?

from a "heraldic" point of view silver and white are the same, the reason i bring them up is that people kinda assumed they were now silver.. despite the painted models for them being white, blood reaver refering them to being white and the generally "glossy" white appearance of most of the badab marines.. though i do agree that either is acceptable and that some of the blue/silver schemes have been done very nicely i believe from an "official" standpoint there is less wiggle room..

though of course the official line is and always will be "its your hobby do what you like!" (something i hate on occasion.. i just want a damn answer to what certain helmet stripes mean etc etc)

*edit* id be willing to give that a go Heathens, ive always liked your style of painting and i think it'd be quite nice to see you do an executioner i think they'd fit you nicely! tongue.png

oh and also.. i must point you to Khargans dreadnought from way back when.. the dirty almost gunmetal blue he had going on was a really nice view on them imho.

*edit*

*edit* id be willing to give that a go Heathens, ive always liked your style of painting and i think it'd be quite nice to see you do an executioner i think they'd fit you nicely! tongue.png

oh and also.. i must point you to Khargans dreadnought from way back when.. the dirty almost gunmetal blue he had going on was a really nice view on them imho.

*edit*

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/uexc_attach/men-in-tights-gauntlet-slap.gif

It's on, then. Would you happen to have a link to that Dread? i haven't seen that.

Would you like to set the deadline, since I threw down the gauntlet?

I have a business trip between the 24th and 27th this month, and will be unable to do anything during that time, just as a heads up. Before or after would work well though.

And in the left corner with have the almighty 1000heathens & in the right corner we have the amazing Lorenzo.

Boys I want a nice clean fight, no hitting below the belt, no biting, no scratching & no commissions :P

When the Badab War II book came out I emailed the staff at Forgeworld to ask about the armor color and they replied "dark blue steel with silvered backpacks; bronzed for veterans and bronzed helms for veteran sergeants and faceplaces on vanguard". I guess that is as official as you get?

For mine I did the bronze areas with 1:1 VGC scorched brown / VGC shining gold then highlighted with the shining gold.

Archived