Custom Sicaran Tank (3d Print)

twopounder

After checking out Imperial Armor 2 Second Edition (couldn't they have named that something different?), I rather liked the Sicaran tank. Especially the fact that it's fast and can keep up with ravenwing quite effortlessly. While I have a fire raptor, Scorpius and Helios project simmering, the Sicaran will take the most work. I figured I'd get a start on it before classes on Monday.

My idea is to use a rhino as the center hull and build side tracks and a turret to fill it out to the size of a Sicaran. Given the pictures, that appears to be pretty close to how forge world did it:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/sicaranscale2.jpg

The tracks are almost complete and 99% of the side armor detailing is done. I haven't added any attachment area for sponsons yet though:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2015/004/3/f/step_11_by_s3dition-d8cl7ni.png

You can see some of my steps here.

Good project, shall be watching

Thanks.

An interesting project for sure. How are you going to be printing out and assembling the physical side armor pieces?

I'll probably use Shapeways. Their FUD prints are passable. More stepping than I would like, but paint covers it up pretty well.

Here is the track design. Still not 100% positioned correctly and I need to bring in the road wheels a bit:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2015/002/8/6/step_8_by_s3dition-d8cbmmy.png

Updated with the latest detailing. I'm actually almost done with the detail for this section. Surprisingly, there is actually very little geometric detail in the tank. They added a lot of texturing and weathering to the model using paint.

Update!

I really don't like the default tracks that come on the Sicaran. They're too "we suck at making tanks WW1 style" for me. I decided to redesign them to be a little more modern. They should fit nicely with rhinos and land raiders as well:

New:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2015/004/3/f/step_11_by_s3dition-d8cl7ni.png

Old:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2015/002/5/7/step_10_by_s3dition-d8ccj3q.png

Nice to see a bit more tread in the tracks, when you running this piece out to print?

When it's done :P.

Seriously, I start classes full time on Monday for a BAS in software development and I work graveyard full time. I'll be squeezing in modeling time on the weekends.

I still need to finish the rear exhaust system, turret, and front armor sections, as well as the hull heavy bolter mount. Still, the tracks are usually the most time consuming part of armored vehicles (in my case, anyway) so hopefully I can order it at the beginning of next month and have the print in my hands before March.

I know, it's a long time, but quality takes time.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news. I haven't constructed a rhino chassis in a very long time, and I got the 3rd ed and revised models mixed up in my head as far as pieces go. Currently using a rhino as the Sicaran's core hull is not a viable option. I could potentially order some old 3rd ed rhinos off ebay, but I'm not overly interested in doing that.

However, I'm not abandoning this project. I can still make an entirely custom vehicle based on my own design, it will just take a lot longer. I had originally only planned on making the side tracks, turret, and some front/back detailing. Now I'll have to make all of it.

In the meantime, I'm switching to smaller, faster projects, including:

Corvus Hammers

Whirlwind Scorpius turret

Whirlwind Hyperios turret

Mortis Dreadnought arms

More or less in that order. I'm going to roll all of those into a single thread and put chapter markers in the first post for all those interested. Once those are finished, I'll pick this project up again (and hopefully have a lot more spare time to finish it in a timely manner).

That's awesome! Can't wait to see the finished model, pre-painted and painted smile.png

Please do some bording torpedoes and send them to me for next christmas tongue.png

Isn't that just a Caestus Siege Ram? Seems like the functionality of the two is awful similar. 40k versions would be really expensive to print. BFG on the other hand...

That's awesome! Can't wait to see the finished model, pre-painted and painted smile.png

Please do some bording torpedoes and send them to me for next christmas tongue.png

Isn't that just a Caestus Siege Ram? Seems like the functionality of the two is awful similar. 40k versions would be really expensive to print. BFG on the other hand...

similiar, but a "normal" boarding torpaedo would be just for 5 Terminators :P (just like the ones from the new Space Hulk edition :>) in a few years, we may finaly 3D print our Battlefleet Gothic/Heresy armys :D

similiar, but a "normal" boarding torpaedo would be just for 5 Terminators tongue.png (just like the ones from the new Space Hulk edition :>) in a few years, we may finaly 3D print our Battlefleet Gothic/Heresy armys biggrin.png

Well, for BFG I could make it. I just need a rough size for it. 28mm probably not. That's a lot of time and very high cost to print.

Bad news. I haven't constructed a rhino chassis in a very long time, and I got the 3rd ed and revised models mixed up in my head as far as pieces go. Currently using a rhino as the Sicaran's core hull is not a viable option. I could potentially order some old 3rd ed rhinos off ebay, but I'm not overly interested in doing that.

Just curious as to what made you decide the Rhino was unusable for the hull? I ask because I still believe it's quite do-able. If you make sure that the Sicaren tracks are long enough to fit the entire length of the Rhino top hull in (perhaps mount a little lower than intended) the only other piece to be made would be a new back plate for mounting the engines.

Cheers,

Jono

Just curious as to what made you decide the Rhino was unusable for the hull? I ask because I still believe it's quite do-able. If you make sure that the Sicaren tracks are long enough to fit the entire length of the Rhino top hull in (perhaps mount a little lower than intended) the only other piece to be made would be a new back plate for mounting the engines.

Cheers,

Jono

The rhino's tracks are not entirely separate from the hull. The top track guard is built into the top section of the rhino hull and the only way to assemble it is to add the interior section of track. In the 3rd edition rhino, the hull was built separately from the tracks and didn't rely on them for support like the new one.

That's a great offer! I actually have a few laying around, I'd just have to peel the guns off them. Mostly, I wanted to make it easy to let other people print the parts, buy a rhino, and slap it together. It's harder when they have to get an OOP rhino from ebay.

Not to fear though, I'm not going to abandon this. Perhaps it will look better with a completely custom front and back?

Cheers,

Jono

The rhino's tracks are not entirely separate from the hull. The top track guard is built into the top section of the rhino hull and the only way to assemble it is to add the interior section of track. In the 3rd edition rhino, the hull was built separately from the tracks and didn't rely on them for support like the new one.

Excluding the Rear hatch, the three other pieces can be assembled securly using the interior wall (I know because I did it for my Krixxus Assault Transport HERE). As I said before, if you can get the length of the Rhino's top plate to fit within the length of the Sicaren tracks, the only additional piece you'll need to model is a new rear wall to mount the exhausts on.

Cheers,

Jono

Cheers,

Jono

Excluding the Rear hatch, the three other pieces can be assembled securly using the interior wall (I know because I did it for my Krixxus Assault Transport HERE). As I said before, if you can get the length of the Rhino's top plate to fit within the length of the Sicaren tracks, the only additional piece you'll need to model is a new rear wall to mount the exhausts on.

Cheers,

Jono

It might work. The difference in our projects is that my modeling has to be exact. I work with fractions of a millimeter to make certain that there are no gaps or bad angles.

That said, It's a possibility and I'll investigate again. It would require shaving the top track guard off. I have a rhino on the sprue here in front of me. I'll see about getting some pieces cleaned off to see how it might all go together.

• 2 months later...

Have everything under strong consideration. The track guards can be easily trimmed from the bottom, where the crease between the guards and the top of the hull is clearly visible. March has come and gone, but it looks like I'll have ~10 weeks free this summer. I'm going to push this project back because I want to take the time to make a quality model and add the level of detail I feel it deserves.

Archived