Big 3d Print Post - Whirlwind Scorpius Major Update

twopounder

• 1 month later...

I really really wish I was still working in rapid prototyping. So many models I could be printing in the open spaces of production builds...

Well, you can still use companies like Shapeways. It's not free but they have a myriad of different materials to pick from. They just added another level of detailed plastic (frosted extreme detail)  that should make for some epically good models. It's $5.99 per cm3 though, so not cheap.

Extreme detail is really nice, but there's still obvious print lines if you have flat areas and are unlcuky with the alignment.

Yeah, I've considered getting a tumbler to do some polishing. My issue is mostly that printing 10 - 20 models is prohibitively expensive. I have almost everything I need to do casting, just need a vacuum pump for my degassing chamber and I can resin cast my 3d prints.

I don't think a tumbler would be a good idea at this detail level, you'll lose all that detail you pay for. My prints could be cleaned up pretty quickly with a flexifile, as the lines were only noticable on flat areas perpendicular to the print direction. My long term plan is to just clean them manually and cast :)

• 2 months later...

I don't think a tumbler would be a good idea at this detail level, you'll lose all that detail you pay for. My prints could be cleaned up pretty quickly with a flexifile, as the lines were only noticable on flat areas perpendicular to the print direction. My long term plan is to just clean them manually and cast smile.png

That can take a lot of time for a full clean, and the smaller areas can be especially difficult. Though the medium is getting better and better. May not need any cleanup work in a few years,.

Some fantastic design work here, much better then the standard template stuff all marine chapters share

Thanks. I actually wanted to make a more Dark Angel oriented design as well. It takes a lot of time to get themes correctly, and some are hit and miss. It's a fine balance between flavor and ridiculous.

Archived