Your favourite armor Mk and why

I'm a sucker for Mark IV. It's just so sexy. FW only, though. A close second has to be Mark II. It has that ancient feel to it that screams great crusade. When it comes down to it though, my favorite suits end up being bashes of all sorts of different marks.

How does it differ from GW Mk IV?

This:

The MK IV legs from the new Tac Squad box and those pictured by Slips aren't bad, but they're not quite as good as the FW. Everything else, FW does better and the GW plastic MK IV helm is just awful imho.

*Edit* I also made a tutorial on converting MK VI legs into MK IV: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/283813-tutorial-converting-mk-vi-legs-to-mk-iv-legs

MK III by far its just so damb meaty and tough looking it makes me think of how astartes don't seek cover ... they are cover

To quote totalbiscuit:

"When you're in space marine armor, you don't need to get cover, you take cover with you."

Mk. VIII

Oh, wait....

For the Heresy era, Mk IV, but I'm quite fond of all the pre-Mk VII marks, and don't even dislike the standard Marine armour we've been staring at for years. 

Though I do dislike Mk VI. 

For the Mk IV they're about the pinnacle of protective engineering during the Crusade - sleek, efficient, it feels both mobile and durable existing at the cutting edge of what Mankind was able to achieve and rediscover following the Age of Strife. They're emblematic of that point of change, where hope, optimism and progress died, the highwater mark if you will (even though Mk VI, VII and VIII are technically superior in-universe, it did take the better part of 10,000 years to go from VII to VIII....). It's the armour most seen amongst the elite of the Astartes during a time of untold chaos. True, the Mk II and III represent the glory of the crusade, the Mk IV is the start of "what could have been;" an imperium of progress, enlightenment, of always pushing the next frontier, the highest point before the Heresy. 

I love Mk IV - Everything looks good in Mk IV - Everything - As KBA said though, FW only, the GW plastic helmet looks awful

I like a bit of Mk III action as well, the only downside for me is the kits always seem to look the same when I put them together - The Mk III champion in the command set is by far the best model FW have ever made though

As for terminator armour, Cataphractii all the way baby

My least favorite? Has to be Mk II - Maybe because the cast quality on every kit I bought has been awful so far

When I first started the heresy stuff, it was MkIV without a doubt. Now, I love MkII and III just as much. MkV looks great for more brutal legions like the WE and SoH. MkVI is okay, I love the helmets but the rest is just alright. I can't stand MkVII. It's so dull.

Mk III all the way but even more so after FW made the legion sculpts, I can just envision Marines using those pointy boots as weapons, even painted in pretty boy blue they look menacing. Mk IV is a close second with the helm as my favorite feature

MK III here - it just looks so robust! Suits my Death Guard down to a tee, but visually it's the most appealing for me.

That said, there are elements I like of others, such as the Corvus helmets, or the Mark IV studding too.

While I do adore the mixing and matching aspect of the Heresy era, I must say that my favourite mark must be the Mk4 'Maximus' suits. For a long time I bounced between marques, never quite settling on one but since I started my Imperial Fists project I believe the look of Maximus plate, Tigrus bolters and Tartaros terminator armour give this sleek look that would be difficult to match with most other styles of power armour. 

That said, once I've finshed with the Imperial Fists and moved on to their nemeses, I will definitely be mixing and matching. ;) 

I'm more or less in love with Mk IV to the point where the majority of my SoH will be using it in some way or another, however I also love the Mk III and Mk V (the helmet on Mk V from FW is looking a bit dated at the moment). If they were to release some Luna Wolves shoulders on Forge World for some Great Crusade-era wargaming I'd probably like the Mk II more.

That said, I'm hoping they run an art book in the future running through the different armour marks properly, as well as the variations and sub-patterns that various legions employ.

I do love mixed armour. My UM will probably be mono mark (each model that is, not the whole force) because they're going to be from Calth probably, and I imagine before the WB struck they'd have been freshly supplied with equipment. My WB might be a bit more mixed, to reflect the more 'heathen' aspect of the corrupted WB.

@Isinfier, that art book idea sounds excellent, I'd love to see that.

Cataphractii is my favourite overall, no contest, it's so iconic of the heresy to me

Power Armour-wise, Mk IV and III are my favourites. I love the brutal and rugged look of the Mk III armour that screams unwavering strength, and the sleekness of the Mk IV (particularly the most common variant of its helm) is beautiful, the Assault Mk IV torso is really lovely.

MkIII wins out for me (come on, IRON armour). MkV I'm a big fan of as well, but the two kits are a tad limited. MkII looks like Marines in pantaloons to me, MkIV gives them anorexic legs, MkVI I'm indifferent to. MkIII has that hulking human tank vibe to it, and it's goddamn easy to make someone wearing it look casually badass. Observe:
16451_1549376095308253_94383408302868714

Mark 8 "Errant Armour"

Pro's

All the benefits/ protection of mark 3, more advanced than all previous versions allowing for improved versatility, gorget to protect from deflecting bullets, better mobility in the joints,

Includes a 28 day trial of  galactic sat nav friendly android apps, 28 DAYS! 

Cons - little backward helmet compatibility due to altered design, limited due to being so dam smexy! 

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4857&d=1379406363

I gotta say, while the Cataphractii armor is fantastic, I am a much bigger fan of the Tartaros terminators. While the Cataphractii captures the brutal feel that the Horus Heresy really needs, the Tartaros plate reminds us that despite taking place 10,000 years before the main game, the Heresy was far more technically advanced. Between the Contemptor-pattern Dreadnoughts, the Tartaros terminators, and Mark IV armor, you could field a force that looks decades more advanced than anything else on the field, and remind people that this is actually a science fiction setting.

Mark 8 "Errant Armour"

Pro's

All the benefits/ protection of mark 3, more advanced than all previous versions allowing for improved versatility, gorget to protect from deflecting bullets, better mobility in the joints,

Includes a 28 day trial of galactic sat nav friendly android apps, 28 DAYS!

Cons - little backward helmet compatibility due to altered design, limited due to being so dam smexy!

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4857&d=1379406363

Cons - not in production yet.

Mark 8 "Errant Armour"

Pro's

Includes a 28 day trial of galactic sat nav friendly android apps, 28 DAYS!

Cons - not in production yet.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Power_Armour

]Mark 8 armor has only seen limited production thus far, and is seen in limited numbers on the battlefields of the 41st millennium. Often, it is worn by veteran Space Marines as a symbol of rank.

In minor production at least.

smile.png

Mark 8 armor has only seen limited production thus far, and is seen in limited numbers on the battlefields of the 41st millennium. Often, it is worn by veteran Space Marines as a symbol of rank.

In minor production at least.

smile.png

However, with this being in the Heresy-Era section of the forum, the idea was looking at the marks of armor used in that conflict. So the Mk VIII would not be devised for around 10 millennia, give or take.

Archived