3rd Bjaha Sur Caballeros

Hyaenidae

Whilst my modelling ventures have steered way, way, way from the fact, I am a Space Wolf. From Rogue Trader on, I have and always will, love the VI Legion, even if I speak little of it. My right arm is branded as such. I've always admired your ability to smith words, Brother, but that last passage about Amidio Al-Bahram spoke more to me than much else in the last year and more.

Excellent stuff! wub.png

Thank you all for your kind comments. To be honest, I kinda surprised myself when I decided on the VI Legion for this character, mainly because it's really outside of my usual 'comfort zone'. The Wolves have always been difficult for me to write about, no matter the era. I've always liked the VI, and I liked reading about them, they just weren't my usual cup of joe when it came to story creation.

this guy is also a 'mini-me'. I've included a model of how I'd imagine myself in that army, for every one I've made. But, i haven't made one yet for the 30k era, and i figured it was time. Each "me" has been a product of my mindset at that time in my life, and every model side by side could almost tell a tale on it's own. I kinda like that. It was unintentional, but cool the way it worked out.

Why the VI, though? It's the Legion I could relate to the closest in mindset, when in it's rawest form. Strip away Fenris, and how did the VI Legion gene-seed react during development? We know now that the VI legion was one of three who were held in close secrecy during their proto-legion days, and I think we could all take a guess why. I try not to imagine what happened to the first scientists who had to deal with a VI Legion youth who had...'turned'. Om nom nom. Without the stabilizing actions of their Father, I feel the VI Legion would have been very hard to control; a core of elite warriors who had conquered their monster, surrounded by a horde of madmen who still listened to the beast in their hearts. Those who totally gave in were never seen again, I imagine as well.

Then, I thought of the stories of the Lone Wolves, those whose beast demanded anonymity and seclusion, over comradeship. Now, what would happen to someone like that, born into the Legion in it's infancy, when there were no cultural controls in place yet to semi-control the more rogue elements of the gene-seed? Who had my mindset, but not all of my sanity? Thus was born this model. The craziest idea I've had in a long while, but I think I like it... er, me. :lol:  I'm glad y'all are too.

Anyhow, life's pretty busy right now, but I'll post again soon, with a few more Caballeros currently in the works. :)

Take care, y'all.

Damn you, Hyaenidae, and your marvelous, brilliant ideas.

Now you've got me thinking about Lone Wolves, and their chosen way of life, and how they would act during the Heresy. And now I'm going to have to buy some Space Wolf kits so I can build my own.

Damn you for constantly inspiring me, you wonderful, brilliant man.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Proof of life.... a small tidbit of what's coming......

Los Nomades, An'Mani Sink, Old Earth, 230 years prior to Terran Unification

Cabo Primero Ines Robles wished dearly she had picked up patrol duties for Old Town, instead of 2 weeks of patrols, inspections, and interdictions Outside the hellish landscapes past the Sud Porton awaiting her. She daydreamed of her birth-home as she sewed a hole in the left sleeve of her quilted armour jacket, preparing for roll-call and final pre-combat inspection the next day. Nothing compared to the Miraflores Mercado, the brightly decorated and neon-lume lit city-market that lined the walls and wide hand carved valleys of the 90 meter tall canyon.

Merchants and farmers, scavs and nomads, tek-smiths and gun-runners, all jammed into carved holes in the living cliff face of the An'Mani Canyon herself, selling their services and goods to the massive fleets of grav-ships and crawler-boats and massed convoys that passed through in immense numbers, day and night. Banners of brightly colored silk hung from wind-scoured signs, while little bare wall remaining between booths were cobwebbed with nomadic prayer flags strung between booths, rippling and billowing in the dusty, but rad-free air. Hazardous looking power lines nailed to the rock face zipped booth to booth, giving the appearance that the city was crafted and held together with rubber-black vines.

The assault on one's senses was incredible, something that had to be experienced to be truly understood. Two million people jammed into such a confined space made for a hell of a racket, especially considering the canyon walls echoing all that noise back, like being caught inside the hollow of a war-drum. The smell of the place wavered between the manure stench of corralled livestock, to the scent of rare and wonderful foods and spices that tantalized the tongue. Massive and ancient Grav Frigates and Solar Lattice Boats moved slowly near the edges of the walls, giving the crew and passengers a chance to spend coin and replenish their stocks of food, nearly clean water, fresh rebreather filters, ammunition, and other items that had been exhausted during their journey across the merciless Lantic Sink. In their shadow danced Skimmers and light Ornithopters, while the valley road was packed to the wall edges with massive crowds of humanity and convoys of heavily armed and rusted scrap vehicles moving through one of the only safe gateways between the expanses of the long dead oceans.....

What, y'all thought I was gonna leave you with just a little poetry? :P Heck no! I'm dusting off everything...

gallery_37532_11149_17241.jpggallery_37532_11149_37405.jpggallery_37532_11149_49917.jpg

And some (very) WIP models, no greenstuff yet...

gallery_37532_11149_24822.jpg

Thank you for the comments on the bit of story, it was just a soundbite I typed up to get my mind back into the setting again, so I'm glad to hear that I'm not too rusty, at least, lol. Nah, I've never really thought of writing quite yet. That's something I'm planning for retirement (of a bit more serious subjects), I do this for fun, and as a stress reliever. I always get a bit bashful reading some of y'alls comments, I feel I don't really deserve such praise, but I'm damn grateful y'all are digging them, even after all these (gasp!) years, so thank you all. Your enjoyment is what drives my passion for this, truly.

No cap'n am I, just another member of the crew; just a touch long in the tooth is all, my brothers and sisters.

Now, let's all sing a dirge, swig the grog, plate up, fastrope down, kill 'em all, and do it again. 3rd Assault, Airmobile!

Should have saved that GIF I suppose. Oh, what the hell, let's use it again:

http://i.imgur.com/GCRUHtc.gif

Seriously. You have not lost one iota of your kitbashing skill. Even after a year away.

I honestly think my favorite part of these guys is their gear... it's so real, and visceral. That meltagun(?) especially is something lovely. I love every bit of it.

Lol, the top and bottom left model have autocarbines, made from cultist autopistols, a shaved down lasgun stock (Airmobile, weapons are gonna stay small and tight), and a victoria miniatures ACOG.

The big gun on the fella with the mohawk is actually just a SM Scout bolt pistol, with the same method with the stock, and a hellgun barrel to act as a recoil dampener. If an unaug would break his arm firing a bolter, then this is my answer to that problem.

Actually, I got something else to show you involving the helms:

gallery_37532_11149_128900.jpg

Forgive my terrible drawing skills, but this kinda will give you an idea of how deep I'm gonna get into these guys history and minor details.

And before you ask, yes, my photoshop skills are equally horrible, lol.

Actually, I got something else to show you involving the helms:

gallery_37532_11149_128900.jpg

Forgive my terrible drawing skills, but this kinda will give you an idea of how deep I'm gonna get into these guys history and minor details.

And before you ask, yes, my photoshop skills are equally horrible, lol.

Damn that is cool! I wish I had the time/skill to go into such depth with fluff for my dudes!

Well, since I'm busy burning out y'alls retinas, here's the original piece that I sketched, that kinda set the theme in place for me. Sometimes drawing is the best medium to express an idea:

gallery_37532_11149_230150.png

And here's a rough map of what I imagine the home of my Bjaha Sur looks like, The An'Mani Sink herself, The Last Refuge, Los Nomades.

gallery_37532_11149_107845.jpg

Archived