Thoughts on Ryza Rust and Typhus Corrosion?

I've found typhus corrosion to be excellent. It gives a real patina of age and disrepair while still allowing the colours underneath to show through. While it is full of gunky stuff, it washed out of my brushes with little trouble. Can't comment on ryza rust yet though.

Typhon Corrosion is nice^^

but if you want to do rust i recommend the Vallejo rusts - they have different products for that 

(as imo GW rust isn't really good as it's a dry paint)

I've use both.

Typhus corrosion great & can get a lot cool effect.  I've been using it a lot on my Chaos Guard army, painting it into the shade part of the tank & wipe away just help show that there been battle it out for weeks/months/years.
You may want to use a older brush to apply this, as recommended on the Games Workshop youtube video.

I've just started using the rust paint on a army I'm painting for a friend.  I've found it best to use bit of foam & dab it onto the model for nice effect.  I might use this to replace the way I current paint rust on my Iron Warriors force (H beam & plastic tubes on the base).

Use both love both.

Typhus is like a gritty wash, good for applying in recesses. Gives impression of grease and grime. Add agrax over it to give muddy grimy look.

Ryza is a very dry paint. Advice, less is more when dry brushing with it. Great for giving heavy rust look. Use on metal after typhus wash to give a really neglected or heavily used look, I use this on exhausts.

Yeah don't use good brushed with either of these paints.

Haven't cracked open my typhus corrosion yet, not super thrilled with Ryza rust. It just looks like orange drybrushed paint (which it is) so it doesn't give the additional effects a weathering powder/pigment can. If I were a better painter I could probably make better use of it.

Have used Typhus Corrosion on my Destroyer Marines; did an additional drybrush in a light gray to make it look like chemical ash or something

destroyers8

destroyers7

destroyers6

And a Before Pic.

Destroyers2

Typhus Corrosion is an amazing paint/wash to use. I used it on my Knights and got a really dirty, grimey effect

Before

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4Au4gaFKF9o/VZAX4ES4ZDI/AAAAAAAAAy4/VjwbIBNuXAU/s1600/20150628_163817.jpg

And after...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3egadrGqmNE/VZGboxXaNNI/AAAAAAAAAzY/gv5CBHLl-ss/s1600/20150629_201733.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3LvQl614fks/VZQ3iexLRbI/AAAAAAAAA0Q/Y-Vf1cU3fWg/s1600/20150701_194519.jpg

I'd suggest either slathering it in with your biggest brush, and then wiping away with tissue to get rid of excess and also give you some interesting effects, or building up layer by layer. 

I'd suggest either slathering it in with your biggest brush, and then wiping away with tissue to get rid of excess and also give you some interesting effects, or building up layer by layer. 

or you can use a (probably) cheaper oil paint for that ^^ (srsly, try it out!)

Yeah, the main selling point of Typhus is the Grit in the paint. Removing it just turns it into an Oil Wash Equivalent.

The GW Video showing how to use their Technical Paints:

Should help a bit.

So to summarize:

- Typhon Corrosion is cool if you use it for what it's recommended (see Slips video above)

- Ryza Rust is imho sub-optimal, as it's a dry-brush-paint

- Vallejo has a lot of rust products in their sortiment (both paints and pigments), try it out

- Oil paints can also help to achieve a rusty effect, i recommend f.e. Winsor&Newton Burnt Umber, you will also need white spirit to thinn it down/whip it away so that it's only in recesses

or you can use a (probably) cheaper oil paint for that ^^ (srsly, try it out!)

Oh absolutely, I'm just too lazy to go shopping for them :P Plus, it's still a great product even if it's a little expensive.

Archived