Thousand Sons

CommissarHughes

OK, for the upcoming Horus Heresy box set coming out, the store I go to is going to do a big legion campaign where we take pre heresy legions and make them fantastic. I like Magnus, psykers, and I want a counter to my space wolves, so my choice was obvious. My question is however, what colors exactly should I be using with them? They're red, but is it Mephiston or Korn? should I base it one and then layer evil sunz on top? What dry brushes should I use? Should I use gold or brass? I know there aren't any pre-heresy rules for them, but is there any sort of equipment or units the legion prefers?

Just, could you please tell me anything and everything I need to know to make a good Thousand Sons army on the table?

I've been using Mephiston red followed by washing agrax earthshade into the reassess- it takes a while sometimes. I follow this up with a edge highlight of evil suns scarlet, and then extreme highlights with wild rider red.

I took it from a video that GW did on how to paint Blood Angels. I've found it very easy to follow and it looks really nice on the table top. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9HzqHVg1uE 

These are two of my Thousand Sons painted up- the only difference is that I did my sergeant with a gold trim and my Centurion has the ivory/white trim.

Arkanis for liber challenge

Once upon a time I got this answer from FW about what colour they use for theirs:

Thousand Sons paint scheme

Red armour colour

Base coat of Mephiston Red followed by a highlight of Evil Suns Scarlet. This is then shaded with a

couple of thin washes of Carroburg Crimson.

Gold

Base coast of Balthasar gold. This is then highlighted with a mix of Balthasar gold and Auric Armour in a

25/75 ratio. This is followed by a further highlight of Auric Armour and then finally with a mix of Auric

Armour and Runefang Steel in a 50/50 ratio.

Bases

Basecoat of Dryad Bark which is then drybushed with a 50/50 mix of Tallarn Sand and Administratum

Grery.

I think this is the only model they have shown in Thousand Sons colours so far:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99590101380_LEGIONMEDUSA3.jpg

I don't know of any other at least.

Exactly what is so special about the white shoulder pads versus gold

Also, is there any part where I can put on some green for a good contrast with the red? Would the gun work like a negative 40K dark angel, or would that be to much?

The pads for me are just a preference. Though I'm starting to use gold for line officers/squad leaders and white/silver for everyone else. Most of the inspiration for it comes from the A Thousand Sons cover artwork and the imagine of the a Thousand Sons legionnaire that FW showed a while back.

Aside from the eye lenses I cant really think of many places to do green. Maybe the wax on purity seals. I did mine in blue since my Blood Angels have green seals. Though there's nothing stopping you from making a part of the model green and coming up with a small reason to justify it.  

Eye pieces are a great place for green. Gun casing is pretty much up to you, if you think red on red is too much. Remember, modelers descretion ^^

As for the ivory/gold thing, there's Pre-Heresy/Heresy artwork showing 1k Sons with white trim/markings, gold trim/markings, and both white and gold trim/markings. Legion symbol, on the other hand, is almost always white when portrayed on a shoulder pad or other armor piece.

Eye pieces are a great place for green. Gun casing is pretty much up to you, if you think red on red is too much. Remember, modelers descretion ^^

As for the ivory/gold thing, there's Pre-Heresy/Heresy artwork showing 1k Sons with white trim/markings, gold trim/markings, and both white and gold trim/markings. Legion symbol, on the other hand, is almost always white when portrayed on a shoulder pad or other armor piece.

Indeed.

When testing colours for my Thousand Sons I tried both white and gold and liked the gold best, though that is a personal decision and both are correct. There are so many different companies out there with different markings...even for a small legion as Thousand Sons. But as stated above, the legion symbol has always been white.

So is MK IV armour the standard armour for SoH during the HH then?

MkIV is the most widespread mk among the traitors at the dawn of the heresy as Horus had been using his influence as Warmaster to get all the good stuff funneled to his own and allied legions :)

MkIV is the most widespread mk among the traitors at the dawn of the heresy as Horus had been using his influence as Warmaster to get all the good stuff funneled to his own and allied legions smile.png

But Magnus was never really allied to Horus and actually plotted against him and all artwork seems to show them in MK III.

I might hold off using this HH box set for TS in the hope that another with MK III comes out instead.

The old visions were a blinged version of mk4, not 3, although it did show some with the assault squad backpacks.

Don't forget, Magnus may have been in the offing through plot weaves, Horus could have been given info to that account, plus there weren't as many sons as other legions. So arming them wouldn't be so much a logistical problem as some others like ultras for instance.

MkIV is the most widespread mk among the traitors at the dawn of the heresy as Horus had been using his influence as Warmaster to get all the good stuff funneled to his own and allied legions smile.png

But Magnus was never really allied to Horus and actually plotted against him and all artwork seems to show them in MK III.

I might hold off using this HH box set for TS in the hope that another with MK III comes out instead.

Except that was back around Davin-ish. Since then, the majority of the KSons have been sitting stagnant and Magnus has been doing his Dissociative Schizofrued act with each individual fragment doing its own thing. And we know at least Lorgar has been actively trying to recruit Magnus so its entirely possible that in the two years(I think it was two, might have been one) between Prospero and Istvaan III, the Word Bearers and other Traitor Legions might have been taking in stragglers, resulting in them getting Mk IV. Besides, they were always shown with that special egyptian style helmets so Marks are really indeterminate and up to personal taste.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, new question, should I get this upgrade pack for thousand sons: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Chaos-Space-Marines-Thousand-Sons-Upgrade-Pack

I would avoid it.

Those are the Rubrick marines and a shadow of what the TS once were. The big egyptian block heads are much more 40k than 30, with the 30k TS looking more ornate and smaller details.

Plus they have chaos markings on the shoulders/ everywhere else.

With some editing the Sorcerer could work perhaps, but he doesn't quite fit the 30k feel IMO.

For reference heres an image of both:

http://orig03.deviantart.net/ee78/f/2014/196/b/7/aaron_mcintyre_thousand_sons_hrf_by_luches-d7qw01n.png

http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/3/2055/6726888_orig.jpg

Not to mention, I remember hearing about at one of the last FW Opens/HH events, that, when asked about what armor marks 1k Sons used, the reply was that their upgrade kits matched up with mk iv.

Food for thought.

Correct smile.png

http://i.imgur.com/d40BmOO.jpg

Patience will be rewarded, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Archived