First/Third Party alternatives for Deathwatch Frag Cannons?

appiah4

There are not nearly enough Frag Cannons in the kits anywhere so I'm looking at third party alternatives to fill in the blanks.  I've been scouring the internet for a while, and these are the only two possible alternatives I've found.  I'm really looking forward to other people's ideas..

Anvil Industries Widow Maker SAW

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/data/a-new/rifles_pistols/heavywidow3ebay-400x400.jpg

Might need a barrel replacement

Grey Knight Psycannon from the Grey Knight Strike Team Box:

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/grey_knights_squad_psycannon_large.jpg

Ammo casing isn't a great fit..

Is there anything that would look better?

$25 for three?! 

Also includes the backpack and is 3D printed so the price is fair for what it is, but I think the cheaper alternatives will do just fine.  I'm really keen on grabbing four of the Anvil Industries Widowmaker..

The Widowmakers look very cool to be fair.

It's puny though. Barely larger than a bolter, never mind heavy bolter or the bulk of real frag cannon. It's about as big size difference as between chaos bolt pistol and heavy bolter (yes, chaos HB is very small)...

Ditto for FW or GK guns, none of them looks even remotely close to frag (or if they do, it's clear they are something else), or has as big ammunition/barrel. The only thing from GW that could pass for frag cannon, IMHO, and that after bulking up the front somehow with the huge muzzle brake equivalent, is this gun from Calth:

http://twentyfirstlegion.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2016/02/image11-e1456698230596.jpg

All you need is bulking up the barrel, power cable running to backpack, done, something that doesn't look lazy or out of place ph34r.png

EDIT: Culverin from last post could work, too, at least it's not something commonly found on battlefields of 40K desperately trying to pass for something else msn-wink.gif

The Widow Maker actually looks pretty cool to me.

I think a touch of colored paint on the tips of the shells could make all the difference (Blue for the Shred Template, Red for the S9 AP2 one, etc....). paint the ones on the belt going into the weapon one color and the ones on a bandolier a different color.

Do they sell extra bandoliers? I want to make Watch Sgt Ionus Ramboicus covered in them tongue.png

Ogryn Ripperguns?

I have a couple Ogryns and their RipperGuns would be a bit off in terms of scale. The ripper itself is almost the size of a SM tactical. Sure the oversized ammo drum and barrel could be kitbashed onto something, but as the primary platform, it would look very GI Joe-ish. 

Just ordered a pile of Widowmaker S.A.W.s; I'll let you guys know how they work out. Gotta say, for what I spent I got a heck of a deal compared to trying to buy the frag cannons from bit stores! happy.png

BIG UPDATE: Just got this in the e-mail from a cool dude at Anvil Industry!

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Heavy-Weapons/frag-launcher-grenade-cannon-heavy-weapon

Looks like they were paying attention to the big C:DW release! Note that this includes two ammo boxes and an optional flash suppressor/barrel extension, too!

I'm pretty sure a converted FW Autocannon, with shortened barrel, would look perfect.

With limited options while at work, only option I have that lets me share my "shopped" idea is this...

If you are cutting barrels, maybe the same treatment for these autocannons would be an alternative.  don't know enough photoshop to make a prediction how it would look and I like mine as they are.

Just ordered a pile of Widowmaker S.A.W.s; I'll let you guys know how they work out. Gotta say, for what I spent I got a heck of a deal compared to trying to buy the frag cannons from bit stores! happy.png

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Heavy-Weapons/frag-launcher-grenade-cannon-heavy-weapon

Looks like they were paying attention to the big C:DW release! Note that this includes two ammo boxes and an optional flash suppressor/barrel extension, too!

Any photos once you are done converting your guys would be appreciated.

Any photos once you are done converting your guys would be appreciated.

Yes please Im also about to order some.

Wow, I was too late, no more need to shorten the barrels of the AI autocannons. The weapon looks great, I only wonder why Joel and his guys didn't go for the "bit ends at the right wrist" design that is so popular since the latest tactical squad.

Well, I appreciate that they don't have to follow GW's design aesthetic. smile.png Interestingly, the choice to go for an ammo box means that you won't have big honking backpacks on Veterans carrying these; for me, this is a plus but some may prefer the large "ammo pack" style that GW does. In either case, I'll have these reasonably soon so I'll post some pre-assembly, full assembled and then painted pics when I have them. happy.png

Archived