Death Company: Uphill Struggle

TheItalian567

Ahoy all, thanks a ton for helping me with my Carmine Blades! I think I've really got everything down there.

Right now, I'm trying to finish off my Death Company and I'm facing a bit of an uphill struggle with painting these. It might just be the tedium of edge highlighting and me getting back in the swing of things, but it took me so long to really cover a single model.

Right now, I'm doing Edge highlighting Dark Reaper then Fine Highlighting Fenrisian Grey.

Another method I've heard of/tried is Dry brushing Dark Reaper then covering the model in Nuln Oil to keep the highlights in tact, but I find that usually fades the highlight here.

I've got 3 models ya'll can hopefully get me in the right direction on.

This one JUST has Dark Reaper painted onto it:
http://imgur.com/9BAx9Jp
http://imgur.com/VIEwn9U

This one I believe was the dry brush method:
http://imgur.com/LTNxSTW

Then finally, this one was painted Dark Reaper, now edge highlighted Fenrisian:

http://imgur.com/mpyo001
http://imgur.com/nD9sXFe

I clearly have a long way to go on these models, but the rest of the details I have figured out. It's the armor- and consequently the most timely portion- I'm trying to square away before I get much further with the entire 10-man squad.

Any tips or little factoids as to how ya'll knock out DC would be so huge. Thanks again guys!!

oh yeah absolutely, and i suppose this is the same thing, i just look at it as.. touching up red on the highlights seems easier than black, for some reaosn. i think i'm really splitting hairs here, but i feel also like i'm just maybe doing something wrong?

As per blind. You should still be able to see 90% of the dark reaper after the Fenrisian edge highlights.

I just finished a DC unit where I tested out two methods.

1: abaddon, skavenblight, Fenrisian

2: Abaddon, reaper, Fenrisian

Pics in my BA plog linked in my signature.

I went with the grey of the skavenblight over the blue black of the reaper in the end. For an entirely black army I'd use reaper, but preferred the grey look on the death co. To match the weapon casings in the rest of the army.

Edit: post copied here.

Ok, been a while, between a new PS4 game and indecision about 8th, my painting has slowed a bit, but a while ago I finished the DC I've been working on, and also started and finished a Tornado, and some terms - pics of those to come later.

Now, the DC.

Axe guy:

gallery_58096_13031_474902.jpg

Angry guy:

gallery_58096_13031_518910.jpg

gallery_58096_13031_93305.jpg

gallery_58096_13031_98379.jpg

Power Bat Guy:

gallery_58096_13031_272075.jpg

Sword guy detail

gallery_58096_13031_404169.jpg

gallery_58096_13031_309445.jpg

Chapter badge

gallery_58096_13031_7443.jpg

Blue Highlights Guy

gallery_58096_13031_374002.jpg

gallery_58096_13031_54454.jpg

gallery_58096_13031_180149.jpg

Sorry about some of the blur, phone cam and didn't see it on the small screen...

Edited by Xenith

Right there with you with DC, can never really find the motivation to paint them (didn't help that my last batch of ten were being painted over a period of three days, doing 8 hour shifts in work followed by 8 hour painting sessions to get prepped for a trip to warhammer world!). I'll probably try some new ones before too long but I sympathize with you completely

Hmmm, okay. I see the DB+oil method. Like you said, just need to go overboard with the Drybrush.

I just really enjoy the clean look of highlight+edge.

So with the non-edge highlight, you guys just literally paint all of the highlight locations then, yes? and then only snag the very tiny edges that the "light" catches with fenrisian?

have you guys added thunderhawk blue into this mix before?

If you get white dwarf, there's a tale of gamers section in which one of the guys is collecting black Templars, and he has a gorgeous black going on. It's actually a really dark blue, high lighted blue. Might be useful.

I used the drybrush + Nuln Oil method on these guys (but with Vallejo greys). It does dull the highlights down as you said, so the trick is to compensate for that by going lighter with the highlight than you want it to end up. It's good for a worn, battered look.

Blood-Angels-Death-Company-01.jpg

Blood-Angels-Death-Company-02.jpg

Blood-Angels-Death-Company-03.jpg

Ok i am working on Riever DC kinda and i really struggle with blacks that aren't heady damaged or pigments and these above are by far my favorite. Do you happen to have a step by step tut on how you do these?

• 3 weeks later...

If you get white dwarf, there's a tale of gamers section in which one of the guys is collecting black Templars, and he has a gorgeous black going on. It's actually a really dark blue, high lighted blue. Might be useful.

How's this for an extremely late response haha.

Do you know what issue that is? i'm getting one tomorrow so I'll pick that one up if I can find it :)

It does look good. might have to try it out. 4 hightlights though.

I imagine the final two are just tiny dots / strokes on the uppermost parts – I reckon they'd be pretty quick to apply, even across a whole squad.

True. Might be easy'er/less time consuming to step up my highlight game than i think.