ETL VII is coming...

Pretty much, just with the extra layer of the competition over the top of the whole thing. I look forward to seeing your Black Legion take shape!

Also as a general reminder, I'm happy to help with point costs and such if for whatever reason you don't have book access, just drop me a PM.

Dragonlover

I have Battlescribe for now, until I can buy the book. Thanks though.

I'll probably add the fully magnetized Helbrute that I'm not going to use in my Death Guard army, and maybe a Rhino for the CSM squad, though I need to find another Chaos Vehicle sprue somewhere.

I did also assemble a Defiler not to long ago, might toss it in as well.

Also as a general reminder, I'm happy to help with point costs and such if for whatever reason you don't have book access, just drop me a PM.

Dragonlover

Subtle

Last year we had quite a few folks who hadn't played much 8th/haven't bothered updating, I spent a fair bit of time cudgeling lists of models into actual viable vows for people.

Dragonlover

Dragonlover

Subtle

Last year we had quite a few folks who hadn't played much 8th/haven't bothered updating, I spent a fair bit of time cudgeling lists of models into actual viable vows for people.

Dragonlover

If I need an actual list, then I can do a simple Patrol Detachment. I can do about 964 points it seems

Master of Possession

- General

- Arch-Sorcerer

- Mark of Tzeentch

- Cursed Earth

- Sacrifice

- Infernal Power

Daemon Prince

- Mark of Tzeentch

- Warp Bolter

- Diabolic Strength

- Hellforged Sword

Chaos Space Marines

- Champion with Chain Axe and Plasma Pistol

- Trooper with Autocannon

- Trooper with Plasma Gun

- Trooper x3 Bolters

- Trooper x4 Chainswords and Bolt Pistols

Greater Possessed x1

Helbrute

- Lascannon and Missile Launcher

Obliterators x2

Venomcrawler x1

Wow, quite a bunch. Just don't do it all in one vow, unless you make it your first and are super confident about finishing it.

I have started some conversions on two Rhinos - previously meant for my Dark Angels, now recommissioned for Fallen - as well as building the first infantry what is supposed to become a proper Fallen detachment. I guess I will spread them over different vows, doing over 30 infantry and three tanks in mostly black might be two boring a task.

Though I feel dirty saying I too shall be taking to the field in the colours of the Dark Gods for the ETL this year. Quite the painting backlog to get cleared as well with a full Shadowspear set, 2 Havoc Squads, Terminators and Abaddon all needing a proper lick of paint

If I need an actual list, then I can do a simple Patrol Detachment. I can do about 964 points it seems

You don't need a list - you can paint whatever units of your factions you like in any combinations - all that is important is that the unit is 8th edition legal and has an 8th edition points value (so, for example, you couldn't do one of "build your own landraider from CA 2017 as those only have power points values).  Given that 8th edition allows you to use index units with CSM v. 2 codex equipment, this offers a fair amount of flexibility - so, for example, you could have a lord on a daemonic steed (index unit) with a thunderhammer (CSM v. 2 equipment).

Basically, how it worked in previous years is:

a)  you declare what faction you are painting for (for example, last year I painted for Chaos Space Marines, this year will be for Chaos Demons);

b )  you vow to paint x units with y ungrades worth z points (so, for example, 2 obliterators worth 230 points);

c)  you paint your vow up to your standard quality and base it in the manner you would typically base it.  Should you do so, you complete your vow.

d)  you made another vow for additional units and repeat steps b & c.

There will be a vow limit - I think it was 5 last year, but I'm not sure.

As the competition progresses, the point value of the units you have painted are provisionally added to your faction's point total.  However, should you fail a vow none of your points are counted.

So, so while points values of vows are important for victory, more important is ensuring that you are able to complete each vow, and don't make any vows you may not be able to complete.  Myself, last year I made 4 vows with enough time to do another before it ended, but knew I was spent and kept it to 4.

So the units above, you could make one big vow for all of them, or break them up and make a series of smaller vows.  Do whatever works best to keep you motivated and painting.  Myself, I prefer vows of 1 or 2 units and maybe a character, as these smaller vows give me a better sense of progress which helps with the motivation.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Well, I had planned on participating in ETL this year. But in light of an upcoming deployment overseas, my unit has decided to load up any personal items we want available overseas this upcoming week. So, I've either got to load up my hobby supplies and miniatures this week, or risk having them get lost in the mail if I have them shipped via snail mail :(

I just realized this is taking place during the height of the worst of my PTSD (mid June to first week of September)... Maybe committing to something might not be a good idea...

Might be a good distraction? :)

Good luck with that either way though, may the dark gods watch over you.

Quick question : I know counts-as is authorised to some extent. I have some thunderwolf cavalry that I'm planning on using as lords on juggernauts - could those be legal entries (using the points from the index)

I’m afraid the Index list is not valid for the ETL if the associated Codex is out. We can discuss via PM if you like.

Quick question : I know counts-as is authorised to some extent. I have some thunderwolf cavalry that I'm planning on using as lords on juggernauts - could those be legal entries (using the points from the index)

I’m afraid the Index list is not valid for the ETL if the associated Codex is out. We can discuss via PM if you like.
Though, aren't the datacards for units not in the codex valid? They are allowed to play with at least...

Yeah, in the game lords on juggernauts (just as much as space marine chaplains on bikes) are legal units

my question was more if thunderwolves would be acceptable as proxies for juggernauts (my warband is wolf-themed)

Yeah, in the game lords on juggernauts (just as much as space marine chaplains on bikes) are legal units

my question was more if thunderwolves would be acceptable as proxies for juggernauts (my warband is wolf-themed)

Generally, if they've been converted to be chaotic, they're allowed.

I had AoS skaven stormfiends converted to be obliterators as one of my entries last year.  

But, but... the Index is the only way to create a game-legal Lord on Juggernaut! And I have two converted up specifically for this purpose. Wouldn't it be fairer to say (like GW has said) that a unit's most recent publication's points value should be used? That way we can vow Lords on Juggernaut and the likes of Chaplains on Bike - which even according to GW and even ITC are still legal entries!

Finally! I'm in!

Thought you did it every year

I d0, I've just been waiting for the ETL to start this year. I mean, how on earth can I find inspiration to paint some chaos marines elsewhere? Also, welcome back, Forté! :D 

Ok, I see there is a strong sentiment on Index units... :rolleyes:

It's less of a sentiment and more "this is gameplay legal, why can't I use it?". In the end it is your rules, so meditate all you want. :wink.:

It's less of a sentiment and more "this is gameplay legal, why can't I use it?". In the end it is your rules, so meditate all you want. :wink.:

As long as the conclusion at the end of the meditation is: "you can vow all legal units to your faction". ;) 

That being said....

JOIN the CHAOS SPACE MARINES

We won ETL III, IV, and V. And only just lost ETL VI to the Blood Angels - by a mere 343 points! This year, with all those kewl new Chaos miniatures at our disposal, we shall win again. So join the winning team! There'll be all the regular stuff: a fantastic team with high morale, fun, banter, the best conversion opportunities in all of 40k, fantastic miniatures, a Soul Vow satellite event with extra prizes and motivation, and of course some pretty hefty dancing!