Age of the Imperium

calgar101

Had a very busy week but here is chapter 7. I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 7

It had taken days for the Rock to reach the orbit of Terra, the star fort having to navigate vast minefields and countless satellites, fortunately its size meant the other shipping avoided its path. A lone Custodes strike cruiser had come to the Rock, the 'Eagles Talon' may have been tiny in comparison but it held power beyond its size, five golden armoured figures had come aboard and had met with the Lion. Shield Captain Quilius lacked the authority to permit the Primarch to enter the Throne world but he would take him to meet with Captain -General Trajann Valoris. As they had closed the distance the Lion noticed how the surface of Terra had changed; its entirety was now covered in a mass of buildings, vast Imperial edifices that stabbed in to the sky. Above the polluted skyline were the huge orbital plates, home to grand and ancient hive cities, interspersed between these were powerful weapons platforms. During the great crusade and Horus Heresy the Throne world had been heavily fortified by his brother Dorn, its defences since had been massively added to and the Lion was impressed. Guillimans return had only caused the activity of the world to increase, thousands of extra ships and platforms now filled its orbit and the traffic of the Solar system was like never before.

A Stormbird had ferried the Primarch to the Eternity Gate, the Lion sat in silence and reflected on the first time he had come to Terra. It had once been a place of wonder and filled you with a sense of awe, now it was a monument to decay and hubris. Even from inside the metal hull the Lion could smell the smog, the thick acrid pollutants irritated his nose. Terra had never been a world of beauty but how could the heart of humanity have been allowed to become like this he had asked himself. He looked at the Custodes and anger flashed through him, they had been too blind and insular to notice the decay. Roboute had spent time improving the governance of Terra and had implemented many positive changes but the Lion had wondered if it was all too late. How long would it take for them to fall back in to their old ways?

The hangar was filled with lots more aircraft of all types, most were military in design but there were some civilian amongst them some of which he did not recognise. Twenty more Custodian guard awaited their arrival, their bright red cloaks billowing in the Stormbirds jet wash, their armour was polished to a mirror finish. Angron had once remarked how they should have spent more time fighting in battle than shining their war plates. Only a fool would underestimate their battle prowess however and even an injured Custodes was a foe to be feared. They were highly disciplined warriors, created and trained for one task, their minds and bodies focused solely on the Emperors protection. Malcador the Sigilite had once made the distinction between the forces of Astartes and Custodes; one was made to protect the Emperor the other the Imperium. It was a subtle but important difference.

As he had walked the mile long route to the huge entrance, the Lion took in the details of all the banners that line the huge stone walls. There were some he recognised, even those that had once been a part of his legion but many others were new to him, no doubt symbols from long lost Imperial armies. He wondered what history lay behind these and from what battles they had been taken. Above them all hung a vast tapestry depicting the Emperors battle with Horus, the sight of which sent a shiver down his spine. Armoured footfalls echoed around the Hall of Heroes, Custodes of other units patrolled the marble stair way, weaving in and out of the banners. Flanking the massive and unbreakable gates, stood two Legio Ignatum battle titans. The war machines had long ago earned the prestigious honour of guarding the way in to the Sanctum Imperialis, their presence a stark contrast to the rest of the hallway. Trajann stood waiting alone on the top of the steps, his golden armour lost amongst the gold of the gates, he cradled his helm at his side and his sword lay in its scabbard. He wore no expression on his face and his eyes were fixated on the Primarch, it was as if he was judging his very soul.

Without a word the Custodes and Primarch halted, the warriors formed up behind their commander.

Lion El'Johnson, 1st Primarch and Lord of the Dark Angels. I am Captain-General Trajann Valoris, my deeds are many but my role is one. You stand before the Sanctum Imperialis and wish entry. By the Emperors will are you granted entry.” Trajanns voice carried easily over the din of power generators.

The Hall of Heroes usually had countless serfs and pilgrims filling it but all had been cleared for this. It was very rare for the gate way to be opened for a visitor. It was doubtless by now that the whispers of the Lions arrival were filling every corner of Terra. The Primarch simply nodded and they all entered the throne room. The Lion had seldom been to Terra and had been in the throne room even less, much had changed from how he had remembered it. Archaic and little understood machinery filled almost every wall, metre thick cables snaked along the floor, a gloom permeated throughout and even his superior vision struggled to pierce it and a feeling of dread hung in the air. He could not see any one else but he felt them, the Custodes never left their masters side. As he passed banks of machines he saw adepts of the Mechanicus hunched over them, their task making them oblivious to his presence.

He reached the foot of the throne and looked up, his mind burned with immense pain and a great weight drove him to the floor.

Father....” his voice was dry and cracked, blood was trickling from his nose and his vision was beginning to blur. All of his senses were overwhelmed at once. Pain, sorrow, rage, suffering and defiance, all these fillings were felt by the Lion, the Emperor shared with him a fraction of what he felt every second. A large throne of grey stone filled his thoughts, then slowly a skeletal figure appeared sitting on it, agony etched across its face. Spectral energies flashed across a golden shield as malevolent figures crashed against it, these four beings assaulted the skeletal figure relentlessly, all the while a dark laughter echoed around the chamber. The being changed then, it was the Emperor of old clad in his armour, wielding his burning blade he cleaved through those attacking him and they retreated to the edges of the vision. The Emperor reverted back to his skeletal form and the vision began again, over and over the Lion watched on.

++ Why does he come?++ there was no emotion in the question, the words burned in to his mind.

To serve my Lord and to help you father” the Lion replied.

There was a pause and he felt a sharp pain in his head. The vision in his head changed, a titanic serpent covered in blue feathers began to wind its away around the throne crushing it. An eagle of fire soared from the heavens, talons outstretched towards its eyes. The snake turned its head and suddenly devoured the eagle, the feeling of despair hit the Lion like a hammer; then suddenly the serpent burst in to flames, instinctively he ducked as fire and flesh hurtled through the air. Again the Emperor he once knew was back, sword in hand sweeping all before him. A tide of daemons swarmed toward him but in one blow he smote them all.

++Then do what you were created to do. Fight++ the command was like a thunder bolt.

The silence was unnerving, those creatures shifted their attention and the Lion suddenly felt vulnerable. He had no weapon, his own sword had long ago been stolen by one of his fallen sons, his current weapon in the hands of Trajann. With a grunt of defiance he rose to his feet, he knew who came for him, he had faced them before. As his incubation pod had hurtled through the warp, they had whispered to him, they offered him power untold and would lavish him with whatever he desired. Somehow deep down he knew it was folly to accept these offers and had rejected them at every turn. The Lion had spent years resisting the Chaos gods and fighting their beasts, he had cleansed Caliban of their taint.

++Still he resists them. We can trust the 1st to fulfil his role. First the Battle King and now the Duellist, more will return to tip the balance++ the Emperors voice was calmer now but his response puzzled the Lion.

I swear my oath to you father” he shouted.

Everything froze and he felt a calmness take hold of him, the Emperor locked his gaze on to him. Without flinching he met the eyes of his father, once there had been a spark of vitality in them but now there was just anger and pain.

++Chaos must be defeated. You have seen what it does and have suffered from it. You were made for this purpose. All of your titles and victories will be meaningless if you fail in this.++

As the last of the Emperors words filled his mind the Lion was shown a glimpse of a future. A hulking figure armoured in black and gold stood over a corpse. The last vestiges of strength ebbed away as a twisted blade of gold was rammed through the Emperor. As he finally died he let out a howl of anguish that knocked all around to the floor. It was too late however, they had triumphed, Chaos had won. As the battle raged across Terra all felt His death, the psychic shock wave spread all across the planets surface and killed all it touched. Above the world a warp storm the likes the galaxy had never seen ripped the material realm apart. Thousands of vessels were torn apart or fused in to unholy forms. Then in the blink of an eye the galaxy was consumed by the warp and the Chaos gods devoured all. The vision had only been brief but it had shocked him to the core, he would not allow this to happen, he must not. He felt like an immense burden had been placed on him. As hopelessness threatened to drown him a hooded figure appeared before him and presented him the hilt of a blade.

The Lion looked up in to familiar eyes.

Edited by calgar101

Excellent work on the latest chapter. I'm glad the Lion got to meet the Emperor. Will he be granted the title "Supreme Warmaster of the Imperium," or someone else- the "Battle King" (Guilliman?) and the "Duellist" (El'Jonson?) mentioned?

Nitpicking:

It had taken days for the Rock to reach the orbit of Terra, the star fort having to navigate vast minefields a countless satellites,

Emphasis mine. I think you meant to use "minefields and countless satellites" in that sentence.

Shield Captain Quilius lacked the authority to permit the Primarch to enter the Throne world but he would take him to meet with Captain general Trajann Valoris.

Emphasis mine. You misspell Valoris' rank of "Captain-General" in this sentence, though fortunately, not in others.

Thank you for that Bjorn. I proof read every chapter, I best not try that for a living! :tongue.: I wont spoil it too much but the Lion wont be stealing Guillimans role, out of the two Guilliman is much more suited and better to rule the imperium. There will be much more added to the mix and things will heat up quite quickly.

Edited by calgar101

The Chapter sets things up well, but can be difficult to read.

Barkan hated visiting this place and did his best to avoid it wherever possible but desperate times called for such measures. The Dark Mechanicum were never easy to deal with and Nifolaz was no exception.

As Barkan and Nifolaz's identities aren't revealed until later in this Chapter, this can confuse readers- my first thought was, 'Who the hell is Barkan, and why would he deal with the Dark Mechanicum?' It may help to rewrite it as "Warsmith Barkan hated visiting this place[,] and did his best to avoid it wherever possible[,] but desperate times called for such measures. The Dark Mechanicum were never easy to deal with[,] and self-declared Archmagos Nifolaz was no exception," (emphasis mine- note the additional commas to break up the sentence into easy-to-read segments). Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Yeah I am not happy with how it read , I will go over it later and tidy it up later, the html issues are my pc screwing up when i tried to copy and paste it. Thank you Bjorn. i hope it is better now.

Edited by calgar101

Yeah I am not happy with how it read , I will go over it later and tidy it up later, the html issues are my pc screwing up when i tried to copy and paste it. Thank you Bjorn.

Chapter 8

Warsmith Barkan hated visiting this place and did his best to avoid it wherever possible but desperate times called for such measures. The Dark Mechanicum were never easy to deal with and Arch-Magos Nifolaz was no exception. The fallen Magos had once been held in high regard by his loyalist counter parts but he had dabbled in Xenos technology far too deep. The Inquisition and Mechanicus forces had assaulted his research station but he managed to escape and found refuge in the Halo stars, salvaging what he could of his works. His forge ship 'Unity of Knowledge' had barely escape the combined fleets, the image of his research station being turned in to a fire ball forever imprinted on his memory banks and served as fuel for his revenge. Works that had taken decades to produce were reduced to ashes in seconds.

Nifolaz had come to rule over a no name world in the edges of the Halo stars, Imperial cartographers had never been this far. Its regressed human populace was easily cowed by his the remnants of his forces and soon all were put to work. Vast mines and manufactorums sprung up all over the once beautiful landscape, the 'Unity of Knowledge' was brought down on to the world and the forge city of Nifolaz Prime was built around it. Over the centuries Nifolaz would deal with countless renegade and traitor warbands, in exchange for slaves or rare technology the Magos would could offer various supplies. He lacked the capabilities of a true forge world but could produce standard arms and munitions.

Barkan had managed to keep a hold of the three Imperial vessels, the merchant ships would pay for a vast amount of supplies. Even the tight fisted Nifolaz would pay a high price for them and their crew. He had several of his most trustworthy soldiers stationed aboard the ships, bolters and astartes were a sure fire way to ensure loyalty and orders were kept. The one vessel had been suffering from crew loss, Kybor and his Blood Angels were posted on that, those warriors indulged in blood drinking. Barkan allowed it reasoning it wasn't the most outlandish practice any of his warriors engaged in. As they made their way towards the planet, another vessel could be spied in its orbit.

There were occasions when multiple warbands would visit Nifolaz Prime and an uneasy truce would exist between parties. The fallen Magos had built up his defences and could punish breaches of any truce, Nifolaz would not tolerate any aggression between visitors. On the surface only warband leaders or equivalent were allowed and they could not bring weapons. His original Skitarii force had been heavily increased and augmented over time. Nifolaz was no fool and took no chances, experience was a good teacher and he would never allow any force to break him easily again. The Avenger class cruiser was identified as the 'Sword of Spite' but little else was logged in his ships data banks. Cautiously Barkan ordered his 'fleet' to make for orbit and ordered all hands to stations, he knew rules existed here but he trusted no one to abide by them. 'Storm Breaker' was more than capable of destroying the cruiser but Barkan would be still be cautious. Although if combat broke out he would much rather capture the cruiser.

Lord Barkan we are being hailed by the 'Sword of Spite', shall I accept?” the young female that was the ships communication officer asked.

Yes, open a video link, I would see who we are dealing with” he replied.

After several moments she had managed to establish the link between the two ships, it was projected across the a large section of hull, and a hooded figure filled the picture, the figure was surrounded by an unnatural light.

Greetings Lord Barkan, I am Haystor emissary of the Warmaster” the voice was menacing.

A thousand thoughts ran through his mind, what was an emissary doing here and how did he know his name? It was an intriguing development and raised questions, the consequences of fighting the emissary would be grave indeed but what was reward without risk? Lord Barkan had removed his helm to reveal his scarred face, his left eye was a bionic replacement and his flesh was a pale red colour. A long ago duel with warp scum had tainted his flesh permanently and left his facial features in a contestant scowl.

What is messenger of Abaddon doing all the way out here?” Barkan was straight to the point.

A soft chuckle escaped Haystor's lips, “The Warmaster is in need of forces now more than ever. He gathers even more soldiers to his great banner and now seeks to end the False Emperors reign once and for all”.

Barkan feigned interest, Abaddon was a fearsome warrior and commander, perhaps the greatest in the galaxy. The Black Legion was the single largest and most powerful traitor force but Barkan had never wished to fight under its banners. The Warsmith had always avoided getting caught up in the Black Crusades, he had no notion of bleeding his forces dry over some millennia long vendetta.

I lead no great host what could I offer Abaddon? Do not play me or a fool. Has the Imperium crushed his crusade already? I hear a Primarch now leads the Imperium, finally a match for the Despoiler” Barkan mocked.

There was a pause before Haystor responded “The children of Iron have never been know for their diplomatic nature have they?” he chuckled before continuing “Abaddon has armies a plenty, hundreds of warbands now march for him, a host larger than even Horus's will soon humble the Imperium. Roboute Guilliman can not save it now, even now his brothers march against him. The traitor Primarchs have each sworn servitude to the Warmaster, the all powerful daemon Primarchs kneel for a mere astartes! Swear fealty and when Terra burns you will be rewarded as befits your contribution.”

I fear Vigilus is too far to fly to just die on some Emperor forsaken Imperial world. Now if you don’t mind I have business to conduct” Barkan was beginning to grow impatient.

You will not go to Vigilus. The Warmaster has many wars all over the galaxy. The system of Talaxus and its neighbours are currently rising up against the Imperial rule. Cults are currently whipping up the worlds populations but Arbites and local P.D.F regiments are suppressing most of it. He would ask you to go there and lend a support to the cause, lead the rebellion and plunge he wider sector in to war. You will be gifted forces to compliment your own and the cults await your arrival and will heed your command. A commander who has not fallen too deeply to the warp is needed Barkan, all that is asked of you is to fight in the Warmasters name.” Haystor kept his tone very calm.

Nothing is ever that straight forward; you expect me to believe that?” Despite his misgivings Barkan was tempted however, for now he could use the Warmaster to further his own ambitions. After all he could take Talaxus and its neighbours for his own, Abaddon would be embroiled in his war to be able to enact his vengeance. Quietly he would build up an empire of his own, an entire sector under his command, he would be the master of worlds and entire armies would fight for him. Ever since the 'King Slayers' had rebelled he had desired nothing more than to be his own master and ambition fuelled his dark desires.

The pict feed was disrupted momentarily and then returned but this time the image was of the 'Sword of Spite'.

As a token of trust and commitment this ship and all aboard are yours. In three days time a fleet will arrive here. It is yours and the warbands aboard them will swear fealty to you. Pledge to fight in his name and all is yours. You do not have to sell your soul, all my lord requires is your oath. What say you Lord Barkan, Tyrant of Iron? Will you stay forever a nameless pirate or will you rise to become a master of worlds?” the pict feed was of Haystor again and his hood had now dropped. The revealed face had no eyes or tongue and dark runes burned with a fell power.

Barkan looked on in disgust and weighed the offer. Against his better judgement he made his choice; “I will fight for Abaddon, he has my word” 'For now' he added in his head.

Edited by calgar101

The revised chapter is easier to read, though there is room for improvement.

The one vessel had been suffering from crew loss, Kybor and his Blood Angels were posted on that, those warriors indulged in blood drinking.

As Kybor and his "Blood Angels" are serving under a member of the Iron Warriors Traitor Legion, they too are traitors; this should be noted in-story, e.g., write the sentence as "[One] vessel had been suffering from crew loss[;] Kybor[,] [a former Blood Angels Captain who succumbed to the Black Rage before swearing allegiance to Khorne][,] [was] posted on that[;] [he led his Sons of the Red Angel warband in] [indulging] in blood drinking," (emphasis mine).

Multiple typos remain. The most notable are the following:

“You would not go to Vigilus.

I believe present tense should be used in this sentence, i.e., it should read, "You [will] not go to Vigilus," (emphasis mine).

“Nothing is ever that straight forwards, you expect me to believe that?” despite his misgivings Barkan was tempted however,

"Despite" should be capitalized, as it begins another sentence. I also think "Nothing is ever straightforward," (note "straightforward" can be written as one word, in American English) and "you expect me to believe that?" should have a semicolon dividing them, instead of a comma.

“I will fight for Abaddon, he has my word” “For now” he added in his head.

The section that remains in Barkan's head, should use single apostrophes, i.e., “I will fight for Abaddon[;] he has my word[,]” [']For now[,]['] he added in his head.

I also notice Barkan referred to Abaddon by name instead of by title, which can be considered disrespectful. Was the Warsmith intentionally insulting Abaddon?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

• 4 weeks later...

That is okay Bjorn, I am trying to limit characters for that reason... Sorry for the delay but work and pc problems have been a pain!

Chapter 9

Azrael took a deep breath as he looked over the tactical maps of the Talaxus cluster, a dozen key worlds were highlighted and streams of information filtered across the projection. Population densities, tithe grades, industrial levels and more scrolled through the air; several eyes were absently reading this. The situation was very bleak; officially the situation had been labelled as Holding by Segmentum command, Azrael knew better however and had described it as failing, the sector was months away from a full scale rebellion. The Adeptus Arbites and P.D.F. regiments had worked tirelessly to suppress what they could but they fought a losing battle; the Inquisitor Aximov of the Ordo Hereticus had brought aid, regiments of the Tempestus Scions backed up by a full Order Militant of the Adeptus Sororitas. Whenever it seemed a Chaos cult had been destroyed another soon grew to replace it.

Sat around the large oval table were some of the clusters important figures; the Fabricator General Galus, Inquisitor Aximov, several planetary governors and officers from the Imperiums military forces. The war council had been in session for well over three hours, every detail was poured over and reports from each world was read out, Azrael would leave no stone unturned. It had been fortunate that the Imperial Navy had largely remained untouched in the conflict, some merchant ships had fallen along with a few older ships held in reserve but the Imperial fleets still sailed for the Emperor. Even as they spoke rune markers displayed the elements of the Imperial Navy as they moved to link up, everything was being brought to Talaxus. The planet that was the namesake of the cluster would be the first to feel the Dark Angels wrath.

To begin with there had been outrage at the plan but it was better to lose some worlds than the entire cluster. Inquisitor Aximov had given his approval to the strategy and the rest had fallen in to agreement. Galus hailed from the forge world of Kasian on the distant edges of the cluster, he assured Azrael that its forces would march to the defence of the region; Kasian would serve as a second mustering point for those who were far from Talaxus. Those forces unable to retreat from their current worlds were to sell their lives dear and hold out for as long as they could. The plan was simple and time would tell just how effective it would be. Azrael looked each individual in the eye in turn looking for any sign of disagreement, satisfied that everyone understood their duty he stood up. He waved his hand and the holo map turned off and the lumen globes returned to full power.

“We all know our roles and what is expected of us. The ruinous powers seek to corrupt these worlds for their own and we will not allow that to happen. My Primarch the Lion has now returned and he commands me to destroy His enemies. Will you be found wanting?” the Grand Masters voice was as hard as stone, the revelation of the Lions return sent an audible gasp throughout the room.

Aximov was in utter shock, a second son of the Emperor returned was most fortuitous indeed. A great portent from the The Emperor. The political ramifications would be huge, Guillimans return had produced enormous sweeping changes, how would the Lion react? The Inquisitor would move quickly to secure his position and improve his political favour, perhaps he would position himself to govern the Talaxus cluster once this minor rebellion had been quashed. A thin smile stretched across his face and he brought his attention back to Azrael.

“All forces must be at the mustering points in three days maximum” the Grand Master swept his gaze around the room.

Harakavesh was a large town to the north of Hive Talaxus, it was nestled in between dark green forests and a large mountain range. The large river Hara came thundering down from the mountains and curved around the south west of the town, it then continued its long journey to the distant sea. Harakavesh was one of hundreds of settlements that sat up on the river and a large fleet of barges transported countless materials and goods between these towns. The mountain range that stood like a guardian to the north was full of mines and daily hundreds of carts filled with raw ores trundled down to the waiting forges. Over fifty thousand workers filled the dozen forges and the skyline was ablaze with a constant orange hue and smothered by a thick black smog. It had not taken the Mechanicus long to transform the once sleepy town in to a roaring hub of industry. Massive warehouses and manufactorums had been built on the rivers edge, a mass sprawl of industrial complexes were a stark contrast to the once beautiful landscape.

The uprising began here slowly, production lines were sabotaged, forges were left to go cold and tools were lost; the situation slowly deteriorated over several months before outright violence erupted. Every six weeks the towns P.D.F units would take part in military exercises and take part in manoeuvres and leave Harakavesh behind for days at a time; it wasn't long before the rebels made their move and began to take the town. During the panic and confusion a series of blunders caused the rebels to make huge gains. The leadership of the local Arbites, Mechanicus and remaining P.D.F forces did not communicate at all. Each feared losing political ground to one another and each felt they alone could easily crush a mere workers riot. This hubris and ineptitude sealed the fate of thousands.

There was only a small Adeptus Mechanicus presence in Harakavesh, several tech-prisets who oversaw the maintenance of the manufactorums but they had a small elite Skitarri force under their control. After a small skirmish they broke their way out of the rebel lines and fled north to the mines. A fractured leadership and deep rooted belief of self preservation, hampered any chance of them offering any real resistance. They did not even transmit a warning signal. The Arbite precinct came under siege very quickly, trucks had been turned in to makeshift troop transports; the thick walls staved off the first few waves. Several trucks had been turned in to mobile bombs but Imperial ferrocrete proved too much for the poor quality bombs. As day turned to night a stalemate settled between the two forces, the rebels content to keep the Arbites penned in; the Imperial forces just happy to have survived the day.

Edited by calgar101

• 7 months later...

To those who were folloiwng this story, I am sorry for my lack of additions. Due to real life issues I couldnt write anything and then lost motivation to do so, now my hleath is better I will be continuing this shortly. With the release of Psychic Awakening I will have to hold off a little while longer potentially to avoid story arcs clashing or not making sense. I've made notes slowly and will soon add something.

• 1 year later...