Mixed daemon and marines question

Gorsk

Hi all, I am looking to add deathguard to my nurgle daemon collection and run them together. So this leads to a noob question - do I need the stratagem and objective card decks for both daemons and deathguard?

I’m also looking at adding the deathguard codex, since I’ll need the data sheets for any models I purchase.

You can use deathguard stratagems if you have a battleforged army with a deathguard detachment.  So, if you field a patrol or other detachment containing only models from the deathguard codex, you will have access to their stratagems.

Now, whether that means picking up their cards is up to you.  Personally, I make a cheat sheet where I list all the stratagems I have access to according to which phase they are used in.  This can be helpful as summarizing and then typing my summary helps me remember them and also allows me to exclude those stratagems I don't have access to (my forces are all slaaneshi, so I can't use those relying on other marks).  It also puts them all in one place, which is important as I potentially have stratagems from 5 different books (chaos space marines, chaos demons, chaos knights, Vigilus ablaze and Faith & Fury).  It also takes up less table space than trying to spread out the cards so I can read them.

You don't need the data cards - all of the Stratagems for an army are in their codex (at the end), plus you don't have to use them for example you might only want to spend your Command Points on your Daemon army. They do make gaming a lot easier unless you go to the extra effort to compile them prior to a game as Rumi does, and if you're using an army as a detachment they usually have at least one Stratagem worth using :wink: