How might Squats return to the setting?

Skaorn

They have returned - FULL FACTION. I say again, FULL FACTION.

Crazy times, squats unsquatted! :v

Yup. I dont think anyone expected full faction straight off. Guess they learned from also those plastic sisters sets they sold :smile.:

Yeah I was wrong I thought it would be necromunda first to test interest. Happy for anyone that wanted them.
We may get a Kill Team first. GW did say their advance elements would be the first to arrive.

Possibli

Full faction makes me think theyre bypassing the Killteam route, 2 box taxes before general release would be a bit much

My interpretation is they were referring to release waves

Yup. I dont think anyone expected full faction straight off. Guess they learned from also those plastic sisters sets they sold :smile.:
Yeah I was wrong I thought it would be necromunda first to test interest. Happy for anyone that wanted them.
We may get a Kill Team first. GW did say their advance elements would be the first to arrive.

Possibli

Full faction makes me think theyre bypassing the Killteam route, 2 box taxes before general release would be a bit much

That would be awesome. Either way, I am getting whatever they release first.

the advance elements could just mean before they reveal the combat patrol, or at least what’s in it.

Think we can safely say these guys would slay as a separate boxes Christmas timed release

So codex box Sept/Oct, codex and separare boxes late Nov

that Christmas box better come with elf hats for them!

ELF hats? In a Dwarf codex??

So the article says they have tech the imperium would consider extremely heretical…AI robots?

I fully expect that in the Squats codex. AI robots that are self aware and are allied/work for the Squats.

Also am I the only one that thinks the necromunda release with the bikes is a bit of a sneak peak at what we can expect from the new codex?

i could see them getting grav bikes to play on the classic biker theme but making them thematically different from IG etc. 

I think having them in a kill team box could be a cool way to preview them. We could speculate on how wargear and stats would translate between the two systems. Plus troop choices don't feel great in 9th so putting them in a different system where they can shine for a bit seems smart.

I just don't think from what we have seen of them that Necromunda makes any sense now.

I’m sure it will be a ‘reasonable’ first wave in terms of size with an expansion wave to come in early 10th. My ‘old school’ wishlist would be:

Brotherhoods to retain the basic structure of warrior / berserker / thunderer units.

Updated exo armour units.

Retain the living ancestors with some haggard looking shamanic look to them in contrast to the rest of the army.

Guild bikers to be modernised - I think grav platforms / jetbikes would be suitable given the emphasis on advanced tech.

Expand on their use of robots to include AI such as the men of iron - an alliance of convenience for 2 I’ll fated offshoots of humanity in the name of survival.

Grand battery - mole mortars would be great as would a Goliath cannon that makes the basilisk look tame.

Lose the majority of imperial tech such as bolters / rhinos etc to show they have evolved beyond being an offshoot of humanity.

Land train would be a great concept with rhino sized carriages but I’m not sure how suitable for games of 40K. Maybe as a lord of war?

I love the idea of tunnellers being their main transport. Termites in plastic would be unique and could allow the model to be used by imperial factions / heresy also.

A return of the iron eagle gyrocopters would be fab.

Colossus / cyclops / leviathan / overlord too large for 40K.

They did just release an eldar dex and refresh which included both a 40k vs box AND a KT vs. box. Some people regard boxes as a tax; for others they are a feature- an opportunity to build an army- even a sub par one- on the cheap. I wouldn't have a Drukari or a Space Marine army if not for boxes.

Think we can safely say these guys would slay as a separate boxes Christmas timed release

Nope. But they would sleigh.

I'm here all day folks...

Wow, I am just too excited. I am going to copy my last message just to check how far did I reach

1. Lore:

Problems:

- The squats, as they were in the 4th edition (basically a mix between a gang of bikers and the imperial guard), do not feet in the grimm dark universe 40k is nowadays. The fact they are abhumans (less than humans in the 40k universe does not help).

- Their name is a joke.

- They were stated in a single line that they were all killed by the tyranids.

- Demiurgs were created as a xeno race to ocuppy their space but they were not developed. There are some drafts but the only official miniatures are those for their battleships of Gothic.

- In 40k universe there should be motives to be in war with everybody and I don't think that squats falling to chaos is a very good motivation to fight against the empire or even against themselve.

Solutions:

- The name squats might be a derogatory name used in the empire (squatz by thee orkz if you want) but they need to have a proper name (sort of dawi in fantasy). In that sense using demiurg can be a good solution. However, I think this name is not very supcetible to be copyrighted so I would rather go for a totally new one (kind of Aeldari). I think demiurgs should be the name that Tau have give to those who have relations with the Tau empire.

- They need a grimdark lore to fit in the universe, keeping as much lore as possible:

- I think slight changes should be done to their origins -> They were humans that reach high and dense metal-rich planets and that evolve to adapt these environment, Ok. But they enforce this using genetics knoledge to the points they are no more phisically compatible with humans and they consider themselve better and more evolve than the rest of the humans, not feeling contempt for them but pity. Also, they do not workship  the emperor god but only their ancestors, more in a respect fashion that in a religion fashion. They need to keep the flavour of a proud old race that they have in the fantasy wold and even make it a little bit grimmer.

- I think the tyranid invasion should be kept. Tynarids work a little bit as skavens in the 40k universe and the new squats must have flavours of a decadent race whose golden days are far in the past. Obviusly, the lore about this invasion should be more richer (not a random fleet with no name please). I would rather say something as "their words, once prosperous, were devastated by the war against the orkz and depleted by the Tyranids, making the survivor's refuge in the core of their planets, extracting the energy from them instead of from the starts, living on fungi and other food that does not need light (the tyranid invasion have leave their few remaining planets without atmosphere and life in their surfaces)". The race, once united, after a big time now have splitted into different surviving fortress words with their own government and agendas (and different flavours as the eldar craftworlds). Also, some asteroid miners brotherhood survived since they were far from home during the invasion, and now, without their homeplanets they wonder around the universe seeking for asteroids to mine. Some of them have side with the imperium (there are still loyalist squats) and some have do business with the Tau empire (demiurgs). However, most squats hate the empirium as they didnt assist them in their times of need (they should HATE everybody, like the grudge mechanic in fantasy but way grimmer). These give them reasons to fight everybody in the 40k universe. Now, with the gathering storm events they could have come out of their worlds and they bear a grudge against the empire for not aiding them so most of the remaining secceding wolds have declare their independance. Finally, to make them a little grimmer they could have adapt to leaving in the underground, adapting their sight and their skin to the circustances (they are good genetists) so they could have a way darker look. 

- I am not sure how to deal with the disformity but I think they might be resistant to it but somehow they have developed technology to travel through it without using psiquics.

2. Army concept:

Problems:

- As stated before, they were basically a mixture between a bikers gang and small imperial guards.

- Not much personallity.

- In the lore they had a way better technology than the imperium, but it did not seem this with the different units.

Solutions:

- More diggers and spacial miners units. Miners, boring vehicles,...

- Robotics and IA (they are not bounded by the Imperium laws). They could have robotic self-boring mines (similar to the widow mines on Starcraft). Aerial robotic drones, robotics mobile defense towers, robots...

- They should have some technologies the Imperiur armys do not dream to have. Maybe some magnetic fields technology or gravitional technology (but they should no appear to be eldars), more Plasma weapons..

- They should have bionic parts and heavy armors (as space dwarves they are in the end). I am thinking about a crazy squat full of wounds and bionic parts as some sort of 40k slayer concept (think of them instead of as honorable comitted to glory warriors as cyborg quats consumed by hate and pain that wish to die).

- I would erradicate the motorbikes totally for them. To me it does not make much sense that they are a fast army.

- Maybe some chainaxes as melee weapon, or mechanic diggers or mechanic grinders, but something different.

3. Esthetics:

I like the aspect of the new squat miniatures of Necromunda but yet, I would prefer to go something more dwarvish and not dwarves in empire clothes. In this sense, I am very into the demiurg concepts we have had these last years. In the lore fixes I proposed before there is space for empire loyalist squats (or at least squats living inside), which I think can justify the Necromunda characters.

Well, regarding the lore:

- Their named changed. This was easy to know as squat is difficult to copyright and besides, its a joke. Leagues of Votann and Kin for me is a very good option. Squat is pejoritive name used in the empire as I thought it would be. Jet to know if they will be fused with the demiurg concept. I jet think that the better solution is to say that some "League of the Demiurgs", one league of votann, has joined the Tau empire (some humans have).

And while those nasty Necromundans still call them Squats, that’s not at all how they refer to themselves. These warriors have a long and proud martial history, and to those who aren’t on their bad side, they’re known as the Leagues of Votann – though they refer to themselves as Kin.

- They are not abhumans (or at least they do not consider themeselves as that) anymore. 

Although their civilisation shares common roots with Humanity, the Leagues of Votann have an uneasy relationship with the Imperium of Man. Unlike their superstitious Human cousins, the Leagues emerged from the Age of Strife with far more of their ancient technology intact, including some infamous advances the Imperium would consider extremely heretical.

- From the fact that it seems that they were believed extinct by the imperium I think the tyranid invasion and all that is going to be preserved in the new lore.

- Also, they have now reason to fight imperium, chaos and xenos so, great.

And while there’s no love lost between the Leagues of Votann and Humankind, the resurgence of Chaos and ascendent xenos hordes mean there are usually* more pressing concerns than fighting each other.

Regarding the esthetics:

- I think that the sentence I said back in autumn has been fullfilled. I mean, the concept is not so much as the necromunda characters but more similar to the demiurg concept.

Regarding the army concept:

- Glad they are no more a mixture between biker gang and small imperial guards. It seems one the solutions I gave (robotics and IA, since they are no more constrained by the empire)

Although their civilisation shares common roots with Humanity, the Leagues of Votann have an uneasy relationship with the Imperium of Man. Unlike their superstitious Human cousins, the Leagues emerged from the Age of Strife with far more of their ancient technology intact, including some infamous advances the Imperium would consider extremely heretical.

- Also, from the miniature they have show, it seems that they will have biotechnological staff and that sort of things.

So in general terms I am very very happy with what I have seen untill now.

I’m sure it will be a ‘reasonable’ first wave in terms of size with an expansion wave to come in early 10th. My ‘old school’ wishlist would be:

Brotherhoods to retain the basic structure of warrior / berserker / thunderer units.

Updated exo armour units.

Retain the living ancestors with some haggard looking shamanic look to them in contrast to the rest of the army.

Guild bikers to be modernised - I think grav platforms / jetbikes would be suitable given the emphasis on advanced tech.

Expand on their use of robots to include AI such as the men of iron - an alliance of convenience for 2 I’ll fated offshoots of humanity in the name of survival.

Grand battery - mole mortars would be great as would a Goliath cannon that makes the basilisk look tame.

Lose the majority of imperial tech such as bolters / rhinos etc to show they have evolved beyond being an offshoot of humanity.

Land train would be a great concept with rhino sized carriages but I’m not sure how suitable for games of 40K. Maybe as a lord of war?

I love the idea of tunnellers being their main transport. Termites in plastic would be unique and could allow the model to be used by imperial factions / heresy also.

A return of the iron eagle gyrocopters would be fab.

Colossus / cyclops / leviathan / overlord too large for 40K.

I think you have just made my Christmas card list. :wink:

Going to guess.

Demiurg are a faction of squats.

Further.

I'll guess base votan gun is a ion blaster.

(Think of rapid 1 slightly weaker ion rifle from Tau)

Tin foil hat

M6 S3 t4 1w sv4 A1 bs4 ws4

Apparently Necromunda: The Book of Judgement has squats buying mining gear from the Demiurg, so the plans for the possibility for the return of the squats dates back to at least the development of that book pre-2019.

the easiest way to include them is, what we thought of as the Squat homeworlds was just one outpost of squats, how many high G worlds like them are there in the galaxy? how large was the pre Night of Terror human empires? they could just be from a League that is now outside the limits of the Imperium but used to be inside it's predecessor

Necromunda land train revealed on WarCom

They specifically referenced the squat land train at the bottom of the article which make me think a new squat land train is coming, something I was very doubtful of before

Wouldnt that be HUGE though

Whatever about a lead engine and maybe maybe one car, even then theyd have to scale in down from what they were in Epic/the lore

Necromunda land train revealed on WarCom

They specifically referenced the squat land train at the bottom of the article which make me think a new squat land train is coming, something I was very doubtful of before

Wouldnt that be HUGE though

Whatever about a lead engine and maybe maybe one car, even then theyd have to scale in down from what they were in Epic/the lore

If they kept it Epic scale it would not even fit on the table without knocking down terrain.

Actually that sounds like fun. "Pain train coming, manling!! Choo choo!!"

• 4 weeks later...