Rapid Fire Challenge anthology

Dosjetka

Nice one Dos.

What will be the criteria for selection in the event I say "ALL TEH THINGS"?

I was hoping this could be one of the discussed topics as I'm not really sure how to proceed with that. Public vote comes to mind though I'm not sure that's the best way to pick and choose which short stories would make it and which wouldn't. Perhaps we could also gather a small handful of people who would put forward a selection? That or we could find a way to fit them all in? :P

There are lots of ways to go about this.

One might be to collect a selection of the "best" into a single publication that is dedicated to fan fiction. Or that could be broken down into a series of publications (each similarly dedicated to fan fiction).

Another might be to pick and choose the "best" to go with other works. In much the same way that Legio Imprint 2: The Eye of Terror collected a variety of member-created works into a themed publication, we could develop other similar publications (though hopefully much smaller than LI2) and incorporate suitable stories into that work. In this way, we might cover a broader range of member-created content here at the B&C: complete DIY articles, finished minis/armies, homegrown rules ideas, etc. It would basically be a sort of fanzine setup (which is part of what we always envisioned for the Legio Imprint).

As for the stories themselves, perhaps the best way to make this work is to allow for each to be improved upon (including proofreading and editing), either by the original author (if they're still around and willing) or by others that are willing to do the work.

As far as the work goes, this, like every other project here, will be a labor of love that will be driven by the passion of one or more individuals. The key is to find those people and to let them run with it.

For my part, I'll be happy to help. At the very least, I'm willing to proofread the selected works and help format everything into a document for publication (Microsoft Word, then saved as a pdf). If there is a public voting schema, I'll be happy to help with that.

+EDIT+

And don't take my thoughts above as prescriptive. There are probably other ways that this can be done. Much will depend on the individuals that actually take up the burden of doing the work, however. Ultimately, they're the ones that will get to dictate the terms.

Edited by Brother Tyler

One might be to collect a selection of the "best" into a single publication that is dedicated to fan fiction. Or that could be broken down into a series of publications (each similarly dedicated to fan fiction).

Another might be to pick and choose the "best" to go with other works. In much the same way that Legio Imprint 2: The Eye of Terror collected a variety of member-created works into a themed publication, we could develop other similar publications (though hopefully much smaller than LI2) and incorporate suitable stories into that work. In this way, we might cover a broader range of member-created content here at the B&C: complete DIY articles, finished minis/armies, homegrown rules ideas, etc. It would basically be a sort of fanzine setup (which is part of what we always envisioned for the Legio Imprint).

Wow, I'd heard of Legio Imprint but never seen it - it's a whopper.  All credit to the contributors, editors and publishers, it is a mighty tome indeed, worthy of these gilded halls.

In very basic terms as I understand it - for a streamlined, comparative product we're looking at our options being like Interzone, or SFF Magazine (as was) in the first example, or a White Dwarf (Lightweight compared to the Imprint) analogue in the second?

If you're considering the Fanzine model, then perhaps a quarterly imprint could prove beneficial.  That way a lot of work could be selected, and published in a batch, and would be fairly easy to compile/edit/publish, while fresh contributions are coming in.

I think it's a smashing idea! And I'm certainly willing to proofread and tidy up any of my stories should they be selected. Keep me posted!

I'm liking your moxie!

Hmmm..  things like proper spelling and grammar come to mind… :wink:

unless it‘s Orks. 

I need to think about this …

*Tuts*

Everyone's a critic these days. :wink:

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I know if I was to put stuff in a published thing, I'd definitely want to double check it for grammar, spelling, etc (plus my own internal headcanon continuity. I'm finicky about that). 

...speaking of published stuff, that reminds me I have a nice long bit of fic I need to upload here.

• 6 months later...

Apologies for the vague necro, but I was wondering if this may counts as a special project and thereby drop it into a Club?

The Cabal of Dead Ink or something, maybe? I'm looking at this specifically from the Rapid Fire/Fan Fiction stuff. Liber Astartes is out of my purview, I regret, so I leave that to those better suited.

What I'm suggesting is a distillery for editing options and quality assurance. Lots of writers go to writing groups to bounce things off each other, as well as Black Library's own writing room, where everyone gets together with updates and plans for work. From a lot of different posts, we seem to have a number of different writers (freelance or otherwise) available to us. A lot of those folks will be busy with their own projects (I am to some extent) but we could approach them towards the later stages of projects being ready.

Many literary agents have what's called a Submissions inbox, which receives manuscripts for consideration. Perhaps if designed a set of criteria for that Submissions inbox (A thread in the club, with either copypasta of articles or stories, or links to the original) we could save some of the proofreading headache up front. That begins to set the stage for quality. We could perhaps run a competition that submissions going through into judgement will be looked at by a recognised author.

This is perfect for 500 word short stories, and this happens for paid competitions all the time (No prize money here, the final product is reward enough) and the smaller scale might tempt a few authors into doing pro-bono work.

Likewise we could set up the Copyright, as that is hugely important, to lay out who owns what, and where it can be used, getting it all out of the way, to avoid arguments later. On that note, we have to determine if the Bolter and Chainsword are acting as curators, or publishers. (Perhaps hard copy from somewhere). If the latter, should the pieces of work submitted and scrutinised be good enough, it would actually provide the opportunity to claim a publishing credit, which is a massive thing.

Am I having a pipe-dream?