What are the lines which are in a matching scale?

Scribe

Not sure if this is the correct place, but what lines/sets are in a matching scale now? Is this correct?

Primaris - All.

Sisters - All (New)

Mechanicus - All

Custodes - All?

Guard - Krieg Veterans?

Imperial Knights - All

Imperial Assassin?

GK - New HQ only.

Chaos - Daemons

Chaos - Knights

CSM - New Kits

CSM - 1KSons

CSM - Death Guard?

Eldar - New

Dark Eldar? Are they in the correct scale or small?

GSC - Correct?

Necron - New

Orks - New only? How are the old Boyz?

Tau? Are they in the correct scale, or small?

Nids - Not updated.

Scale to what exactly? Within their own line, like are all Primaris in scale to each other? Or are you trying to find out which lines are in scale to one another?

Because Custodes are not in a proper scale to Primaris or sisters, I'd say. If we are talking scale in the line itself, all newer ones should be in scale - if you leave out vehicles which have always tended to be too small to be in the same scale as the infantry models. 

I can also comment on the ork line: the new boyz are very close if not even identical in scale to the old ones. They look different, but their size is right. And Death Guard per say are in scale with one another, maybe a bit too large if you compare them to Primaris or Custodes but fitting compared with cadians. Also: they are Death Guard, with the amount of mutations going on there, scale is hard to tell.

These guys are in the same scale, so what's a few mm between friends?

worlds-tallest-shortest-men.jpg?quality=

But in general, tanks are on a smaller scale than the infantry, so no army is really in scale - minus maybe the assassinorum? Though the CTan phase sword is horrifically out of scale with the new CTan, so maybe not the callidus. 

Daemons are out of scale in the same way as the GK's - they made the Greater Daemons (and soon daemon princes) larger, but haven't increased the scale on the lesser daemons. Same with the Avatar change - might be a while before we see the guardians boosted in size until we have the same size difference between them and the previous avatar model (I think a guardian was about half the height?).

Thousand Sons are now out of scale with the CSM and DG ranges that were released after Primaris, they seem to be like 115% the size of the KSons, who stand up straight, but otherwise have the proportions of the 3.5 ed marines. The crests make them similar, but they are visibly thinner of limb. 

Edited by Xenith

Anything released post Primaris is in 32mm heroic scale. Anything released before then is 28mm heroic scale.

One could say that with the release of Primaris, the whole game became 32mm heroic scale, thus everything before is also in that scale, making cadians proportional in 32mm. 

Jes Goodwin said the Skitarii were the start of the human-scale reset. All minis after that, presumably, were scaled appropriately.

Interesting. So were Deathwatch veterans released after that? Because I always felt that they are pretty much accurately proportioned for the comparison between firstborn and Primaris. And the veterans are just a tiny bit taller than, say, the tactical marine kit from around 2014.

Scale to what exactly? Within their own line, like are all Primaris in scale to each other? Or are you trying to find out which lines are in scale to one another?

Because Custodes are not in a proper scale to Primaris or sisters, I'd say. If we are talking scale in the line itself, all newer ones should be in scale - if you leave out vehicles which have always tended to be too small to be in the same scale as the infantry models.

I can also comment on the ork line: the new boyz are very close if not even identical in scale to the old ones. They look different, but their size is right. And Death Guard per say are in scale with one another, maybe a bit too large if you compare them to Primaris or Custodes but fitting compared with cadians. Also: they are Death Guard, with the amount of mutations going on there, scale is hard to tell.

Yeah, mostly I am considering the Primaris to be the baseline.

1. They are the loyalist marine template.

2. They are new, with ongoing development.

3. They are certainly CAD and simple in profile.

I had a feeling Custodes were wrong, something about them has bugged me since the jet bikes.

And yes, Vehicles are off, but they have always been.

So, in Summary.

AdMech, GSC, Sisters, Primaris, Orks, new Eldar, new CSM/Thousand Sons?

I don't worry too much about Daemons or Nid, as they are inhuman to a degree where if they are in scale with themselves, it's fine.

But in general, tanks are on a smaller scale than the infantry, so no army is really in scale - minus maybe the assassinorum? Though the CTan phase sword is horrifically out of scale with the new CTan, so maybe not the callidus.

Daemons are out of scale in the same way as the GK's - they made the Greater Daemons (and soon daemon princes) larger, but haven't increased the scale on the lesser daemons. Same with the Avatar change - might be a while before we see the guardians boosted in size until we have the same size difference between them and the previous avatar model (I think a guardian was about half the height?).

Thousand Sons are now out of scale with the CSM and DG ranges that were released after Primaris, they seem to be like 115% the size of the KSons, who stand up straight, but otherwise have the proportions of the 3.5 ed marines. The crests make them similar, but they are visibly thinner of limb.

I don't think the Avatar is out of scale with Guardians - I think the previous avatar was too small from the beginning due to modeling limitations. So they won't go back to the old scale ratio, I would bet. Edited by Nemesor Tyriks

I don't think the Avatar is out of scale with Guardians - I think the previous avatar was too small from the beginning due to modeling limitations. So they won't go back to the old scale ratio, I would bet.

Are the new Guardians the same size as the Dark Eldar Warriors (or Incubi)?

They're the same size as old Guardians, but they look bigger because their limbs are smaller. I'll do a size comparison when I get home. I think they're slightly smaller than Incubi but that might be down to posing and lighter armor more than scale.

I don't think the Avatar is out of scale with Guardians - I think the previous avatar was too small from the beginning due to modeling limitations. So they won't go back to the old scale ratio, I would bet.

Are the new Guardians the same size as the Dark Eldar Warriors (or Incubi)?

They're exactly rhe same. The guardians are slightly more upright but holding both its clear they're the same.

gallery_92812_17446_485186.jpg

How big a kit would a Rhino have to be to fit in 10+1 seated firstborn?

How big a kit would a Repsulor have to be to fit in 10+2(driver and gunner?) seated Intercessors?

There is an old conversion with Land Speeder pilots, in a Rhino, so that one used to be close.

No clue on Primaris.

I think it's interesting that many people seem to think all models are getting bigger. My impression is that eldar and human models have become smaller (or rather, less "blocky"), if anything. For example, Cadians always seemed too big to me (especially their heads and hands) and Marines too small. Newer models, such as Krieg and Traitor Guard seem more properly proportioned and look better next to newer Marines.
As for Greater Daemons, Avatars and other "big monster" type models, I think they are more properly scaled compared to the rest of the game in their new incarnations.

The BSF heroes are sort of a mixed bag iirc, but I put that down to them being centerpieces of their own game, rather than being completely in scale with the 40K range. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's how I picture it.

For what it's worth, I agree with the people saying something is off about Custodes, but it's an army I don't really care for at all, so I couldn't say if part of it is just my personal distaste for the models.