Advise for a campaign with a unique idea that seemed good but its actually a very bad idea

JMISBEST

3 weeks back I decided to take the plunge and joined A 3rd edition Campaign

The person running it decided to throw in something that seemed like a very good idea but its actually a very bad idea

His idea is that in edition to the 2,500 Credits that every player got for theiir normal Gang every player would also get 330 Credits with which to create a character based off of A Character from A Book or A Move

Here's what me and the rest of the group ended up taking, Do you see how bad this idea was?

My Escher Gang has A Wyld Runner based on Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games

The Goliath Player took A Stimmer based on Chewbacker from Star Wars

The Van Saar Player took A Augument based on Robocop from Robocop

The Venotar Player took A Venotar Champion based on Boba Fett from Star Wars

The Delaque Player took A Nar-Ghul based on Wolverine from X-Meny

The Helot Cult Player took A Witch based on Delphini/Voldemorts Daughter, from The Cursed Child

The Enforcer Player took A Regular Sergeant based on Judge Dredd from Judge Dredd

Wow that seems like a neat idea but it is really a bad idea. Starting Gang Credits should be half that or 1500  credits unless you are adding the vehicle rules. A 330 point character is odd. I would rather have be less points and a custom bounty hunter, based off a literary or movie character. 

Yeah, sounds like the kind of idea that's cool in your head, when you envision the campaign, but immediately less cool once outside your head. I also second War009's stance that that's waaay too many credits to start out with. If the goal is to end up with cool gangs, I'd much prefer giving out more creds/xp along the way, so gangs experience faster growth.

I hope the campaig ends up being fun for you, regardless.

4 hours ago, Antarius said:

I hope the campaign ends up being fun for you, regardless.

That is probably the single most important thing about Necromunda, have fun. As you progress through the campaign you will have stories about the individual members as they grow in the campaign. 

How are you creating the one off characters? Spend x amount of creds to boost a stat or purchase a skill?? Is it homebrew rules or something community printed in the Gangwar magazines??