SOB Metallics WIP

OKay so after a month and a half hiatis (sp?) from painting I finally started some painting the other day. Maybe I was a little burnt out from painting 10 hours a day up to the GD, or for painting the new house, or maybe I was a bit high from my GD win or quite possibly I am WAY too addicted to Guild Wars, either way I finally got the painting bug again.

So here is the latest WIP of my SOB, she is still a test mini for my high gaming quality army, so don't be expecting another LotD temie quality unit. These girls are simply meant to flame the **** out of anyone they meet on the battlefield. That being said I didn't want to spend 10+ hours on each mni just doing NMM so I opted to try metallics.

For those of you who have followed me throughout the past few years know I haven't used metallics at all for at least 3 years! Which means I am sorely out of practice. I did some research and took some time to look at some examples of very well done metallics. Overall I am happy with how the bolter turned out, but I still find metallics a pain, since I like to keep my minis looking clean and I find it very difficult to make metallics look clean. Anyway you be the judge, remember this is a WIP and because it is a test mini I chose the ugliest of the sisters to experiment on lol.

C&C is very welcome, oh and btw the scheme was chosen by my wife, not me, since technically it is her amry :)

Ja

http://greenman.publicmine.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Ugly_step_sister_WIP.jpg

Lookin very, very nice NR, very well done :).

Im liking the work done for the robing as the colors look excellent. The bolter to me looks very convincing for NMM, although im no expert on the technique, but it definitely meets my stamp of approval.

What color will you be using for the main armor??

Good luck with the mini, its turning out VERY beautifully.

And on a random note, im moving this into the WIP section since this to me is definitely a WIP thread :blink:

To be honest.. I'm not entirely sure what parts have been painted metalic other than the shoulder icon. The top of the bolter and barrel? It looks like it could have been painted with greys, but that may just be the photo.

I'm curious though.. what did you tint the white with?

-Legacy40k

I'm not entirely sure what parts have been painted metalic other than the shoulder icon

I will take that as a good sign since I was trying to go for a subtle metallic effect so as not to overpower the rest of the mini.

The white armor was done by shadin with VMC sky blue, azure blue then adding a tan glaze into the deepest recesses .

Ja

I'm not entirely sure what parts have been painted metalic other than the shoulder icon

I will take that as a good sign since I was trying to go for a subtle metallic effect so as not to overpower the rest of the mini.

I don't know about that.. It is definatly possible to have nice and shiney metalics that look tastefull and don't overpower the mini.. The way you've done it, I think looks a little drab. Why using metallics if you are going to try so hard to make them not look like metallics? you might as well stick to NMM then.

-Legacy40k

I was thinking urban, with the plating etc, but I haven't nailed it down completely yet. Another option I was thinking about was mosaic tiles making them more Cathedarlesque, but I don't know how it would turn out, so I may experiment with a few.

Ja

I had to look hard to made sure it was not NMM at first. Very subdue effect. I like bright shinny myself but its looking good, are you going for a purpleish glow in the metal?

BigJon

First: The lady has a blue dot on her nose.

Second: The metallics don't work that good in my opinion because you use colourless metallics with white. And now both are fighting for attention. The shiny metal parts and the white parts. Darkening the metal parts would help but then you would have a black hole in the chest area (the bolters black and dark metal).

Something that could help the miniature on a basic level would be to hit the base with it's basecolour before you start painting. That way you remove the white base. When the base is white it's fighting with the white armour for attention and distorts your value perception. It's not just a little detail but nearly the size of half your miniature so it is eye-catching.

For teh white parts: To give that some more life you could shade it with more relevant colours. Use the blue as you use now for areas where the white is alone (like the outer side of the right leg). In areas where the white is neighbour to somethign else add some of the neighbour colour and use that for the deeper shadings. On the one hand that will make the white look more interesting because it won't all look the same and on the other hand it will look more normal because then the colour that you have on the miniature is being reflected on the pure white. That should give your white a more natural look and less of the "I don't know what it is but someting is wrong with that" feeling.

For example the shading on the backpack near the middle that looks a bit purplish looks good. It doesn't look that artificial because it's near the purple/pink collar.

You could add some of the purple/pink to the shading of the skin and use some orange/yellow in the highlights. That should give the face more contrast without harsh and fast blendings/gradients. And youcould try the same for the hair. some purplish glazes for the lowerpart and some yellowish (beige) for the upper area near the top.

I don't know how much work you want to invest in these but you said that you are aiming for a high tabletop standard and you are using the french inspired glazing/washing technique. So adding some different glazes should not take a lot of more time especially once you have built the variations in your routine.

PS: I think you have been looking for the word 'hiatus' ^_^

Thanks for your comments mario. I will definitely try those suggestions out, for right now I am done with her, but I may just come back and review the squad once it is done and try your suggestions ^_^

All in all she took me 6 hours, but considering she was a test mini the rest of them should take me about 3 hours each. Not too bad. If I really worked on them I could have a squad up in a week, not that that is going to happen mind you... but I could ;)

Unfortunately you can't see the nice pearl effect I achieved on the "rosary" nor the sheen from the metallics... I can see why NMM photgraphs so much better now.

Overall I am content with her, they will be a nice looking game army, nothing more than that really.

I think I am going to try and do some Mosaic tiles as a base for them, and for an army base I will make a full cathedral... someday lol.

Ja

http://greenman.publicmine.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Ugly_step_sister_finished.jpg

Im still loving that mini (now why cant my Sisters turn out that good)!

I would highly recommend that you finish a base for them as i think that will really help differenitate the model, since the blank base seems to off set the model somewhat. I would definitely lean towards a darker looking tiling color that way you have the nice contrast between the two to give the model a full sense of completness.

Keep up the Fantastic work!! ;) ^_^

while a well painted model. I don't like it.

The model is way too pastel. There is no contrasting colors that make this stand out for me. Perhaps a dark/deeper purple to make the model stand out.

I don't think an army painted like this will be all that attractive or interesting to look at.

You did a fantastic job, technically. But the choice of color is lacking. Models of this size need depth, contrast, etc.

I can see how the base is really washing out the entire mini for people. I quickly threw her on a black base just to frame her better.

http://greenman.publicmine.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Ugly_step_sister_finished_on_black_base.jpg

Yup, looks like finalising the base is your solution NR :blush:

The model looks alot better on a base that isnt 'washing out' the mini as a whole. Ive also noticed in the last pic with the Sister on the black base the armor has a blue tint, where the previous images had it looking more closer to white.

YAY - I found the thread. ;)

I agree with the others - the dark base makes the model 'POP' a bit more and really allows the shading and detailing to stand out.

I personally would have prefered a black armour, but what do I know? :D

Overall, how did you find the new technique? Easy to use? Fun to use?

I find the new technique very fast and quite easy to learn. It takes abit of patience trying to get just the right ratio of water to paint, but I usually go on the "too thin" side of the equation so I just have to remember to dab off my brush and I am good to go. There is a tendancy if the paint is too thick for it to become blotchy and correcting a mistake with such thinned down paints is not easy, thus the reason for very thin paint :)

Ja

I am no expert so I'll simply ask is there a reason why plain old Metalics won't work well? Is it to gritty?

As for the white, it seems to me, or at least by the pic that there is no problem with the white itself, more so there is a problem with there being too much white. Perhaps instead of silver, gold would be a better choice. It would bring to life some of those other details which are currently being lost in the model.

Otherwise it looks fantastic, the black base makes a world of difference, because of this I think you should stray away from a white marbel effect and go either with a darker marbel or just a darker base in general.

I am no expert so I'll simply ask is there a reason why plain old Metalics won't work well?

Not trying to insult metallics here but personally I find plain metallics look a bit... umm gaudy on a high quality piece. As I said not trying to offend anyone who uses plain metallics but I feel they overpower the mini and make it look messy to my eyes. This is the reason why I am trying to do a subdued metallic effect, mind you they are brighter than the pic shows, but that is the nature of photographing metallics.

Since my wife chose the scheme I can't change it too much, she loves the "airy" look they have and it is her army, which I will paint and play with lol. I think I will change the colour scheme for a celestian squad giving them gold trim etc.

Ja

Not trying to insult metallics here but personally I find plain metallics look a bit... umm gaudy on a high quality piece.

Fair enough :P and a good explaination as to why :D

As you get more painted please post them, love to see sisters painted and you see so few.

Archived