What I'm working on at the moment

kanan

hey King Tiger, well yes i could delete older pics but then what happens when someone new wants to look at the thread and there arent any pics to reference from, thats just plain silly isnt it? so i make sure all my pics are working and that theyre all active. this whole thread of mine is an ongoing thing that i am constantly updating as and when i am able and to be honest from the thread views, close to 20,000 now, it shows me that alot of people come back to the thread to look at certain things. personally it makes me smile alot that i have been able to help people with their own hobby endevours while i experiment and learn new things myself. its always nice to give something back to the W40K community.

and yes the Stryker/Hurricane is a lovely APC. when i was looking for a new project online i searched for new AFVs and came up with a number of good possibilities however many arent available in kit form but the one i really liked is available so thats the one i ordered. it looks aces to be honest. tamiya will more than likely produce it as its now become the USAs main ICV of choice, its weight (around 20 tons) and the fact its air portable by a C130 Hercules makes it very handy for a Rapid Reaction type force to deploy quickly in an overseas hot zone. i really love it and i want my painting to do it justice.

thanks forgotten soul for the kind words man ~grins~ yah i know that you Blood Angels are the only ones allowed to take a Baal Class Predator but damn man its a great design we DA just had to steal it from you. call it industrial espionage ~grins~ but man you are a genius! Plasma cannons would be an awesome idea and yes i will do it for the next couple of Predator MK IIs i will be doing. cheers dude for the inspiration ~smiles~ and i shall give you one of my own hard to come by Purity Seals. i salute you sir!

hey cheers Brother Caedrius for the comments mate ~smiles~ yes the APC is very cool and i want to get three more. they do an MGS version that i could use as artillery or as a new type of Predator alternative. ok heres the rules that i have come up with so far. i hope they seem fair to you.

points 160 pts type - Tank/APC, BS 4, F 12, S 12, R 11, type (movement classification) - Fast Vehicle, transport capacity - 16 Marines or 8 TDA Marines, takes any vehicle upgrades available to the Rhino for the same points as listed for the Rhino in 5th Ed. C:SM. there are some more experimantal rules about a Thunderhawk Transport Deep Strike option but i have to work all that out. thats all i have got so far. i am also looking forward to painting this beast lol. cheers.

hail fellow Battle-Brother Isiah. good to see you ~smiles~. thanks for the praise regarding the APC. i do like to add that W40K feel to my non GW models to make them fit better with my army. but i also like the fact i am unlikely to find someone using the same vehicle types on a battlefield. yah i have been working on Brother Alias this very night alongside 11 DA Company Veterans. i got 3 more layers of drybrushing on the Dread. i carried on with Kommando Khaki then added a little Bleached bone to the mix, then more Bleached bone. i am waiting for the paint to dry before drybrushing pure Bleashed Bone then adding a little Skull White to the mix for the subsequent layers.

the Twin Linked Autocannons are major win me thinks ~grins~ for that unique DA feel you know? even though Vanilla Smurfs and similar can now take the Mortis Pattern. oh well progress i guess. it must have been Azrael himself who authorized the sharing of our secret Dreadnought designs with the other remaining Loyalist Chapters. BA should do the same with the Baal ~sticks tongue out~.

hello there Shortsonfire79 ~smiles~ thanks for taking the time to read the thread, i know its grown rather large of late ~grins~ i know, i know the Stalker Pattern Landspeeder looks awkward but...it flies great so thats what counts lol.

i know theres alot of conversions but thats where i like to concentrate my efforts right now. there is a plan it may not be apparent but it exists lol. and yes finally i put paint to model and man i have to say it felt awesome ~grins~. glad you liked the Dreadnought Alias. theres a long, long way to go yet on that project though. nice to know you paint DA too ~smiles~ and yes getting a decent bone effect colour scheme is tricky but when you do it right it really looks aces. the scheme will be alot lighter than the stage i was at from the earlier pics.

ok now on the InfamousAgenda issue, in my defence i had a really crappy week when it happened and when i signed into B&C and read that post i didnt like it at all. i felt his tone was sarcastic and condescending, if i took it the wrong way then fine but my initial response was edited once i calmed down a tad and i was civil with the guy in my reply to him on the thread. maybe from your 3rd person stand point it didnt seem like a big deal but i felt he could have said what he needed to say in a better way. i mean i always take the time to read through the whole of someones thread and post relavent comments regarding their work. i never criticise without good reason and i offer good advice if i am in a position to offer it. i feel it isnt right to just jump on someones thread and make negative comments on their work or them. its just dumb. and doesnt achieve anything.

if my response was a classic "flying of the handle" then ok but i didnt act with an angry mind when i posted my replies to him. as to other peoples responses to the situation, i was relieved that other people felt what he had said was uncalled for and i was greateful for the support of some of my fellow B&C members that know me on here.

from your comments on this i feel that you maybe think it was better that i edited my initial post in reply to InfamousAgenda's one. thats just my take on what you said.

all i can say is i wasnt annoyed by what you said regarding that whole infamous (no pun intended lol) sitiuation and i appreciate you being straight with me regarding your own feelings on the matter. thanks man ~smiles~ and thanks for reading the thread. there will be alot more to come so check back now and then.

hey wiplash ill try and dig out pics of the MGS version as that has a turret system that looks really nice ~grins~ i dont play Crysis so is there any chance of you posting up pics sometime regarding that amphibious APC? cheers mate for loyally following the thread ~smiles~ catch you on here later on.

hey chaplainmikey! ~smiles~ yah i got the same vibe when i first saw it on an American Military site. the missile launcher is just a bog standard Space Marine Hunter Killer missile launcher from the vehicle upgrade frame that you get in all Marine vehicle kits. thanks for the comments mate, i really appreciate it ~high fives you~ see you around.

ok a little pic for scale purposes of the Hurricane APC

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC04920a.jpg

peace

+++ edit +++

photo edited in CS2 for brightness and contrast.

Aiight, thats a mondo reply =-D I just read the part that pertained to me, since I wasn't 100% clear with the questions asked by others.

All clear =-D

That APC looks good. As in, it looks like it could actually fit 10 marines in it...maybe..

Thanks for replying to pretty much everything I said.

Good luck!

Yeah,that apc definitley looks more in scale with the 40k marines then the Rhinos.

Quite tempting to build one actually.

I have an idea for you if you fancy playing around with another one of those apc kits.

How about converting it into a really awesome looking whirlwind?

I personally can see it making a great whirlwhind model,and i'd love to see what you'd do with the idea.

Keep it up man!

Not too shabby Kanan. Of course, I've seen these in real life and there are many innovative and new ideas which do justice to the army as a whole.

In my honest opinion regarding the Chapter Master, however, I think he deserves more attention and more conversion and detail (bitz etc.)

Good day Mr. kanan

I just stumbled over your WIP thread, and I have to say that I am really impressed. The scope and originality of the conversions are great. And I have to say that I may be the same as you, in that seeing a finished piece on the table and in combat is great, but I get a little more fun out of converting and building the kits. My 'helmet off to you, Sir'

The Stryker as Marine APC is a great idea, though if I was going to do the conversion myself, I would have removed the surface detail from the Stryker. The Marine tanks have basically smooth hulls, and by smoothing the hull of the Stryker, it would have tied it into the other vehicles better. But that's me. The Land Speeders though are really different and look great. I may have just found a way of doing a Typhoon LS if you don't mind an idea being stolen.

Keep it up.

Newtype

Hey Kanan - trust you are well ;)

Sorry I haven't visited your thread for a while but you know I seen most of your conversions up close and personal now and I like most of what you have done, especially the Tsunami Landspeeders.

Some of the comments regarding the autocannon variant make sense, that is one hell of a weapon to mount on one side of a light skimmer but the twin assault cannon/heavy bolter one is definately my fave. At some point I will do one myself just 'cause it looks so dam good.

Glad you lost the chain of the Dreadnought, I didn't think it did much for it astheticaly, much cleaner without

I can't really comment on the colour as I am no DA fanatic but is nice to see something different from the norm. I know they aren't finished yet but maybe a thin base colour + black wash just to deepen the shadows again and add a bit more contrast. This might not be needed when you add more highlights to the panel edges so only try it on one figure to see if it makes any amount of difference.

Looking forward to seeing the Dreadnoght completed as the current state looks like a great base for the light bone colour you DAs seem to paint their dreads - each to their own - I like everything grey, but what else would you expect from a Wolf player anyway

Real happy to see that you have started to paint, and if you had any fears before then they were unfounded, your doing a cracking job - keep it up ^_^

Hopefully will see them soon for real !!

Take care mate - DGC

thanks Shortsonfire79 ~smiles~ so hows your LR Variant with all the switchable sponsons coming along??? any further progress??? oh and yah dude my replies are kinda epic lol. as to the APC it is coming along ok isnt it, i adjusted the rules for it so now its basically the equivalent of a LR Crusader for transport capacity. of course ill give you a proper reply, thats just common courtesy and i know youd do likewise so forget about it ~speaaks in italian accent~ lol. good luck to you too.

hey there Chaplainmikey i was feeling the same way about 1/35th military model scale myself, for SMs it does fit well as they are 8 feet tall in armour right, (on average and after reaching full maturity).

and dude!!!! awesome idea with regards to using the Whirlwind Weapon System. inspired mate ~grins~ least i can do is get a couple made before xmas for ya to see. i agree with you wholeheartedly with your thoughts on the Hurriane APC. seems to me like its gonna make a nice base for a multitude of variations. the kits are out there, with the useful internet making overseas ordering a breeze and quite painless, im wondering how many of you will actually get the kit just to see what it looks like in the flesh? but anyways i feel it does the Space Marines justice. cheers for all the ideas. ~high fives you~

~salutes you~ hey Capt. Jack, thank you so much for taking the time to track down my WIP on B&C. i really appreciate it, means alot dude coming from a W40K expert like yourself. look forward to catching up with you next week and maybe get some more work done on my vets. cheers again.

thanks king tiger for the nice comments with regards to the Hurricane APC. yah a little too big for IG (1/48th would suit it better) a little to large for SMs but its pretty decent middle ground so im really happy with it so far. i was thinking of two sets of rotating sponsons on the flat roof. maybe 2 x twin linked Heavy Bolters, ie just nabbing them off a standard MK2C Landraider. but thats just an idea that occured to me while i read through my thread again. we shall see what i can come up with. thanks.

Hail fellow Battle-Brother Newtype. thank you but i dont qualify for the "Mr" i really dont. kanan is fine ~smiles~ you then are very much like me, always nice to meet like minded people such as yourself. yah the M1126 ICV Stryker is aces. you sir! alongside chaplainmikey deserve some credit for such a great ideas ~hands you both an Exsellsior Purity Seal~. maybe sheets of Plasticard cut to match the panels and "spot welded" with SuperGlue would look really, really great ~grins~ and please make me happy and make a complete Wing of Tsunami Variants. that would be so darn cool. good luck to you too in realising your Landspeeders. see you around mate.

and finally i get to you my good friend, how are things going? any new ideas for our next game in the Campaign? oh im going to be writing up a little background for the series of games that we are playing. ill email you when i have done a rough draft and maybe you can go over it and correct any errors/typos ect. look forward to thrashing your Sons of Russ for the second time of i think its 4 games weve had now, or is it 5. speak soon buddy. and take good care of yourself.

Semper Fidelis Battle-Brother.

peace

+++edit+++

was just seeing how it would look in RL or more accurately on the tabletop. theyve just been air dropped by Thunderhawk Transporter and are now engaging the Tyranids in CC. of course i only have nids from the Maccragge box set but its just a working idea at the moment. shame they dont have rules for models riding on top of vehicles ie standing on the roof. that would add an extra 1/3 to the Trans. Cap. anyways this is just a small update while get on with playing W40K DC. catch you guys later on, (sunday PM)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC04927.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC04928-1.jpg

cheers & adios for now

+++ edit +++

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC04930.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC04929.jpg

+++ perhaps a little more edit +++

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC04931.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC04932.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC04935.jpg

enjoy

wow everything looks awesome!!!

this is the best pic i can find or the crysis amphibious apc:

http://www.incrysis.cz/images/523.jpg

the non amphibious just had tracks rather than wheels

wen i next play crysis ill get some screen shots if you want

#EDIT i found a pic of the normal apc:

http://www.incrysis.cz/images/508.jpg

Hey

The APC looks good,personally i would of gone with Chaos smoke launchers but thats just my preference it looks good either way.It just seems to me that the slightly bigger and chunkier chaos smoke launchers would give the vehicle a tougher look,and the current smoke launchers look strangely small because of how far foward they are. Just my opinion though,it looks good as is. Your painted models are looking nice,you have a nice shade of green. Keep up the good work.

From

The Red Dragon

• 6 months later...

hey chaplainmikey, sorry for the late reply. i havent been on B&C in months and months and to be honest ive had other things to take care of which as stopped me from working on my 40K endevours. im also looking at moving house fairly soon but i will try and get some work done on a few projects in order to post pics on here of my progress. as to the APC it does look somewhat larger than a Land Raider but i feel it fits the scale of the Space Marines better.

thanks wiplash for the pics of the Crysis APC, i think its based on the Stryker to be honest as it is an almost carbon copy. anyways its good to be back on here and i hope to see you soon. lata gata.

hey Red-Dragon, glad you like the APC, and good call on using Chaos vehicle smoke launchers. i will see if i can track down some. i was given the idea from chaplainmikey to use the Whirlwind missile system on the Stryker, i think itll look pretty decent. let me know what you think of the idea. anyways speak soon good buddy.

i have got some sidelined projects that will be ressurected over the next couple of weeks. one thing is a Marine super heavy based on a 1/35th Challenger MK1 chassis. another is more veteran conversions and perhaps some Terminators if i can get some tommorow. its good to be back.

peace

• 5 months later...

well its been a few months since my last small update, ive moved into my new apartment since then and i am loving the new flat. i have managed to allocate one of the kitchen work areas for my painting and converting needs, there is more space on the other side of the kitchen where i have a humbrol A3 cutting mat set up and boxes of Space Marine tactical squads waiting to be assembled and spay undercoated. i also got another Tamiya JGSDF LAV and another AFV Club stryker both 1/35th scale which will be heavily converted over the next few months.

i got a few pics to show you guys, one of where i work in the kitchen, one of my little Telion conversion using a Kasrkin Storm Trooper head and all the Ultra Marines decals ect removed and one of my famous Company Champion with the twin swords. DGC (a long term Space Wolf player and friend in real life) took the mini and stripped him of paint (Rob used the Dot4 break fluid method for those that want to know), then i re-assembled the model using some extra bits from the DA sprue. there is also a Deathwing TDA Marine i started painting.

now that i have a place to work with good light and ventilation and space i shall be alot more productive over the next few weeks. many sidelined projects from a year ago will be ressurected and theres also the small matter of painting my first batch of 10 Company Veterans with my new colour scheme. im actually painting those guys tonight, so far the armour is finished to my satisfaction, Chaos Black undercoat followed by thinned down Orkhide Shade, upto to Dark Angel green, then to Dark Angel Green with a little Golden Yellow added, then given several washes of Thrakka green bar highlights i like how they look. and weapons drybrushed Bolt Gun Metal, then dry brished very lightly with Mithril Silver, then given a wash of Badhab Black but still chest eagles, skulls, tabards, Terminator Honours and other smaller details to be painted. im not going for GD standard at all just clean crisp better than tabletop quality.

anways im gonna have a look around the B&C and post up some comments on a few threads that have caught my eye, its nice to be active on the 'ole Forum again after a long absence. stay tuned for regular updates.

peace

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05679.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05672.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05674.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05675.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05676.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05677.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05678.jpg

cheers for the comment King Tiger, i liked the Telion model alot but i wanted to use a different head and after looking at various models i settled on the Kasrkin one. i think it looks pretty decent.

hello zxyogi glad im not the only one looking at the AFV Club 1/35 Stryker kit for use in 40K. thank you for the interest and comments ~smiles~. i have bought another of the kits and its sitting on top of my kitchen cupboard till i can get a Whirlwind. then im going to kitbash the 2 kits and make a support version of my Stryker.

as soon as i have done some more converting and painting ill post up some updated pics.

thank you all for looking at the thread.

peace

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone. a quick question about basing, so far alot of my models totalling around 2500 pts at least are only at the undercoat stage due to my lack of discipline when it comes to doing any actual painting, something which i am addressing this month. i would like to know what sort of bases you give your models as so far ive only used standard GW sand and left it at that.

i do own both the Warhamer Fantasy and 40K basing kits and some ground scatter as well as some scale tree branches from Model Scenics. the main question is for such a large amount of models how should i go about basing them. i do want them to all tie together and look uniform and if i am going to paint the models to as good a standard as i can manage ie at least a fair bit better than a good tabletop standard, then whats the best way of going about it.

im just hoping some of you chaps would maybe throw some ideas around on here so i can have a think on what im going to do.

on a side note i have done the last washes to the 10 Vets i was painting a little while ago and now im going to paint all the other details over the next two nights. ill have some pics up in a couple of days.

anyways thanks in advance for the assistance.

peace

hehe your table looks just as messy as mine!

As for bases, I think the first thing you have to decide is the setting the army is fighting at.

ie desert world... lots of sand, some rock perhaps... snow world: snow, ice, some rock :D

I myself am trying to create the impression my Marines are on an old urban site that has seen some combat, basically a ghost town (picture New York in I Am Legend only after it has seen a war in the 40th millenium...). This allows me with some nice variation to create their bases, I think anyway. Basically I get to add rubble/sand but also green stuff like plants and grass... I then add some variety across their bases by keeping the squads together. All the marines will have the same stuff (and colors) on their base which should create the uniform look, but there is a difference between squads (like 1 squad is rushing through a torn up building, the other clearly 'outside').

So I think once you decide where your marines are fighting... it should make your options alot easier B)

thanks Deathwing70 for the input, i really appreciate it. so basically decide on a location then do the bases allowing for variation between units yet still having a cohesive look overall. if i can get some city fight ruins i might attempt urban bases maybe adding some razor wire and various other bits for character. decisions decisions ~perplexed expression~ i hope i can keep the momentum going with the painting and not get put off buy how large that task is now. then again i have alot of choice so i could paint a squad then a dreadnought or one of my many Landspeeders. i have alot of options thankfully. anyways thanks again man.

ill try and get some more pics posted up in the next couple of days.

peace

• 1 month later...

hey greendestiny i hope you can maybe post up some pics of your Tsunami here or perhaps in your own WIP thread as i would really like to see how you did. what Chapter are you using the speeder with?

Capt. Lysander thanks for the comment ~smiles~ i wanted to use Telions head for another model so i needed to think of what i could use instead and after looking at my bitz collection i thought maybe a Kasrkin head would work well. its personal taste but i think they work well with scout style bodies. Forgeworld do an IG upgrade pack and it has helmets with respirators which are very similar to the head that i used. so if i do more scouts i will probably put in an order for the upgrade pack.

peace

• 1 month later...

well its been a little while since any updates from me, apologies my fellow Battle-Brothers but real life has eaten into my hobby time however a little update is in order. as you may or may not know i developed a new Landspeeder Variant called the Tsunami, well this afternoon i have been tinkering with one experimental version which has an enclosed cockpit.

i added some weapons to it today and this will then be ready for painting proper. i recently went through all of my models and found i have a ton of stuff that is still boxed/untouched therefore i have stored most of it and decided to concentrate on the majority of my unpainted models. now i have a decent work area in the kitchen with good light i would like to get back into the painting side of things.

many who have followed this thread from the beginning will know i love to convert models and thats what most of my time is spent doing however now i have a large amount of models that are crying out to be painted. i intend to paint them over this year. any new models including the Legion of the Damned that i got last december will be started once i have finished painting sufficient models that i am happy with. and those Legio sculpts are lovely. its a shame theyre limited numbers but im not here to question GWs business model.

i did also get two more Tamiya L.A.V.s and another AFV Club Stryker kit too. im thinking of getting a Whirlwind and adding the launcher to the other Stryker but thats for later ~smiles~

i have also been working on a tattoo design for myself and my girlfriend Anna so ill put a pic of that up as well, anyways here are the pics of the Tsunami.

Tsunami Experimental Variant -

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05734.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05735-1.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05730.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05729.jpg

W40K Tattoo -

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC05707.jpg

comments and criticism appreciated.

peace

Hey

Long time since last past,will be getting back into model makin in the near future when real life issues resolve themselves.

Right, Your new Tsunami looks awesome, are they silenced weapons? If so what might be an idea is to create a gas chamber towards the rear so that gases from exhausts can be released away from battle so as to not give away there position. I dont know if thats the point of the model it just seems like it to me. Im really looking forward to seeing some painted models too Kanan, your conversions are brilliant so lets see how they look painted. Also, your drawing for the tattoo looks immense,great work my man.

Keep up the good work.

Red Dragon

Archived