What I'm working on at the moment

kanan

ok just took the kasrkin out of the box and im just scraping and filing mould lines and flash, drilling out gun barrels, before i dry fit them prior to gluing. at this stage i might use a little green stuff for gap filling and touching up but i dont use it often as i try and avoid sculpting with the stuff. my skills arent great but i do think anyone that can sculpt with green stuff is awesome! some people dont bother with all of that, prefering to put the models together with a minimum of fuss for gaming but i like to take my time making them as close to perfect as i can which means they look even better on the table top after theyve been painted.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC02380.jpg

debauchery101, i dont think theres any mention of terminators being equipped with multi meltas full stop. but i think and im sure alot of you guys will agree with me that it makes for a very good weapon choice for teminators. on the battlefield they can move into a good firing position and then unleash hell in the shooting phase. where as a regular space marine devestator can only move into postion that turn and is then unable to fire in the shooting phase, which is fine because they are heavy weapons but terminators dont have move penalties for using heavy weapons.

it makes a lot of sense to me for them to get any weapon they want, it would also make sense to be able to arm they with just power swords and storm bolters or say a storm shield and power sword.

i mean they are veterans and weapons can always be switched out easily and after you make it to taht kind of status i think you should be able to fight with whatever weapon is most comfortable to the warrior.

Nice work kanan ! I think alot of us will be investing in those LAV's ! I hope you don't mind too much when you start spotting them, I reckon they'll be popular !

cheers rossco. well i dont mind at all, why would i as its a great model and it would make me smile to see alot more of it. it looks great and is versatile as you could put a razor back turret in the roof or the crusader twin linked assault cannon of which ill post a few pics. it retails for around

Much appreciated mate. I've been taking another look at your pics, and there was something about the MM model that was bothering me slightly which I've just worked out - you may consider trimming off the little "r" notch next to the termie's trigger hand - if you were to remove that it would really alter the shape of the weapon which still has that distinctive heavy flamer look to it and make the MM look a little more unique.

Anyway, looking forward to the next pics!

cheers,

to scipio.au, thanks for the pointers. ill be sure to take up your advice with regards to the multi melta when i make another one, which will be around tuesday as thats when i get paid. i will be buying the terminators box set and ill convert the heavy flamer to another multi melta. i have the parts readily available as ive got two more land speeder tornado box sets knocking around needing some attention, oh theyre going to be converted to my support land speeders with the twin heavy bolters. ill also post up a pic of the tamiya LAV box for those that need to track it down. anyways thanks to all of you for the kind comments as its the first time ive been active on any forum in a long time. cheers guys.

hey hobbes. i saw your dark angel chapter master now that was genius and yes its a vindicare. if you look carefully you will see an inquisitor lord as well. the allied contingent of my dark angel army will be one inquisitor lord with a retinue of 3 warriors and 3 acolytes and 3 servo skulls as familiars. then ill have the vindicare assassin as an elite choice and 2 squads of ten kasrkin as troops choices which will count as inquisitorial storm troopers. i wanted my DA to have some allies and in contradiction to the fluff and the DAs mistrust and avoidance of the emperors holy inquisition, i did like the idea of an inquisitor who perhaps knew of the secret of the fallen and yet was complaisant and who aided their cause willingly in the name of the emperor. anyways thats my background for it, let me know what you think after all in the soul drinkers novels there is an inquisitor who turns a blind eye to the withdrawl of the soul drinkers from stratix luminae.

oh heres a pic of the box from that tamiya kit that alot of you are interested in.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC02388.jpg

with regards to building the kit its fairly straight forward as tamiya always provides clear concise instructions. be careful with screwing the axle / suspension assembly to the metal chassis, also dont put to much pressure when adding the wheels to the corresponding holes (theyre fixed by a metal rivet that goes through the wheel and connects the a polyeurothene collar) and use good quality super glue on all metal to plastic joins and the door handles are a pain to file lol, remember to be super careful when gluing the actual windows to their frames as any glue run off will leave marks on the window itself, apart from that i hope i see more of the LAV in warhammer 40K.

peace

to debauchery101, sorry i didnt reply to you sooner mate. yah with regards to the veterans who wear terminator armour, i really do think that they should have more weapon and or equipment choices, as they are after all the chapters finest warriors bar the chaplains and chapter and company masters. i will be modelling some more terminators with maybe power axes and ive already made some with special extended chainfists of which i will post up some pics.

pics as promised of those terminators with the extended chainfists. simple conversion really, all you do is use clippers or side cutters to make a flat, straight cut just behind the tip of the chainfist blade then doing the same to the blade of a chainsword just after the hilt, make sure the cut is as straight as possible then try dry fitting them first to work out how much filing you will need to do to get them to fit perfectly. then use liquid poly with a brush applicator to weld the join. leave the bits overnight then file where the liquified plastic might have bled through, job done!http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC02390.jpg

ps i had to photoshop the pic as it was too dark and unclear

oh some pics of some more of my dark angels, from left to right; veteran marine, company master ariel of the 3rd Battle Company, and interrogator chaplain uriel. im building and undercoating as many of the miniatures i have for a marathon painting month in may but i will be painting that marine i converted with the two swords. i just undercoated him and will be painting him as soon as i finish posting here. pics will follow shortly. thanks again for the great comments.

cheers guys

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC02393.jpg

ok well this is the early stages of painting my dark angel company champion. its an experimental colour scheme as im just working out some techniques. i started off with a base coat of dark angel green mixed with a tiny amount of chaos black then i painted on a layer of pure dark angel green being careful to leave the darker shade in the recesses then i layered a mix of dark angel green and snot green adding a little snot green and white to the mix in the successive layers but i wasnt happy with the results so i gave the miniature a wash of dark green ink to try and correct matters. happily it gave the marine deeper shading which i needed. now i just need some ideas on how to take it further with regards to the details ect. id love to hear from accomplished painters as i need some advice. thanks for your help.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC02397.jpg

@moribund the burgermeister, it started out layering but i wasnt happy with the results. so i then used dry brushing with the same colours i had mixed for the layering, then finally adding more snot green and white to the mix to lighten the shade and gradually dry brushed several more layers to acheive the tone i wanted. i forgot to mention the dry brushing earlier. you have a good eye for spotting that. but i have to show you guys something i got this morning. i did some research and i came up with a better alternative to games workshops brushes. (the GW masters paint set costs 75 pounds). i found an art shop in town which stocks winsor and newton series 7 miniature kolinsky sable and artists water colour sable brushes and i only paid �13.88 with my student discount!!! yay. maybe you guys should invest in these as the basic GW brushes arent really that good. ok for base coating and dry brushing but thats about it. i havent tried the pro (masters) paint brushes by GW

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC02400.jpg

@magnus the red, yah it does look great in 1/35th scale doesnt it. all hail the japanese military projects dept. for developing it and now its on active service in iraq and afghanistan. its in my mind equal to or better than the workhorse land rover defender and extended wheel base 101.

@khan of coup, cheers for the interest dude and yah i promise i will have some vets painted by the end of this week and pics will be posted up as i work on them.

oh i was in gamesworkshop this morning and well i couldnt resist i bought a blister of three sisters of battle with bolt guns to be used as acolytes in power armour and two more kasrkin with special weapons which makes a total of 14. theyll be split between a squad of inquisitorial storm troopers (10 troopers) and three of the four left over will become warriors in the henchmen slot.

well im not sure about something. been working on the company champion the last half an hour and ive touched up with chaos black all the non armour parts of the model after some more shading and i want some input as to what colour the cloak should be. my favourite colours purple but has anyone got any ideas? thanks for your help in advance.

Heya Kanan, some nice looking models there mate, I especially love the Assault Cannons on the LAV, looks really mean, much better than a speeder.

The commanders are looking good as well, especially liking the Chaplain, the armour sure suits his character the most.

The Company champion looks good as well, and as for the cloak I would of gone with either Black, or Purple, I'm leaning more towards purple myself, but its upto you mate

Paint more post more :whistling:

cheers jamie for the comments. yah about interrogator chaplain uriel. i saw that veteran in the blister and it just cried out to be converted somehow. on closer inpection it would seem to be some kind of artificer armour as its very ornate although has some characteristics of mark VIII errant armour. all in all i liked the miniature and wanted him to represent an HQ in my DA army. but onto the company champion, im liking the purple cloak idea more and more as hobbes implented it very well although i dont have his talent with a brush i will try my best. pics will be posted some time tommorow as i have misplaced my camera charger and am without a means of taking pictures until then. damn sony for charging the earth for a replacement charger, lol. oh is anyone going to look for winsor & newton series 7 miniature series brushes. i was going to use them on my champion but ill save them for something more deserving, ill be using a mix of W&N watercolour kolinsky sable brushes and citadel brushes which are probably made from rat hair, lol. they dont like keeping a point do they?

just a question to anyone that can help. with regards to my company champion, ive nearly finished the armour and i want to figure out a colour to be used on both the chainsword and the power sword, maybe a red, grey or a bone colour but im not really sure as the cloak will be purple and the eagle plastron and the shoulder icon will be like a stone effect probably codex grey mixed with a little chaos black for the base colour then progressive layers of pure codex grey then codex grey mixed with rotting flesh to varying degrees then finally mixed with skull white for the highlights. any help would be appreciated.

cheers

hey kanan, just here keeping an eye on that LAV ! thought i'd give you a shout and let you know I've ordered mine, As soon as it's done I'll post some pics, it's about time I put a few of my consuls up here !

Archived