What I'm working on at the moment

kanan

Oh man, I was very disappointed to come to this thread see its 7 pages long and not see a fully painted model. I saw some conversions, but then there were pictures that were just assembled models, boxes, or a codex. The conversions are nice, but man get some paint to brush! Reminds me of a new hair dresser who snips one hair at a time.

Ranting aside, I am also painting a dark angels scheme. It looks like ya dry brushed your captain. Which is fine, but if I dry brush I like to go back and clean it up and highlight. I'd use drybrushing as a quick highlight and then go back and clean it up.

@infamous: Dude, that was pretty uncalled for. I'm sure Kanan don't mind some constructive critique, but that just wasn't. Not sure what your intention was with that post, other than that you think no thread should grow 8-pages long without a fair amount of finished minis, but look at it from another perspective. Would you have liked that sort of reply in a post showing your work? Treating people the way you'd like to be treated yourself aint a half bad view on life, honestly.

@Kanan: Keep up the creative work mate.

Have to agree with Desert Eagle, that was pretty harsh. Anyway Kanan: Love what you've done so far, can't say i like the tanks much BUT knowing me they'll grow on me lol. Like the paintjob on the captain so far, keep up the good work!

InfamousAgenda - now there is a name that sums up a person. :P

If you wish to give someone a gentle push then do it, but perhaps watch the tone and the way you write it? No wonder Kanan edited his reply....

I think he's doing some very impressive work here - and some people like the challenge of converting more than painting or gaming. I certainly fall into that category as I haven't played for at least 10 years or put brush to model for 5.

Just cut the man some slack, eh? :P

Dude

Major Hostility Brewing!! Dude,we all have things we do diffrently,and some people,me for one,enjoy converting models but hate painting them. Kanans models rock,no questions asked,he has some wicked conversions and so what if there not painted,im sure hell get round to it when his conversion ideas have run out.

Remember,everyone is diffrent,and noone should have to be judged on how much theyve done or havent done. Think,if youd spent as long as Kanan converting models,then somebody had a pop at you telling you to get something painted i think youd be pretty annoyed. Ive tried to write this in the nicest way possible,because,to tell the truth i hate judgemental people and i try to be as objective as possible,prefering to write about the good qualities of something instead of the negatives.

Keep your words soft and sweet,because there is always someone out there with a comeback ready to make you look like a 4 year old whos just peed his pants.

Keep Up The Good Work Kanan!! <_<

From

The Red Dragon

Didnt think my tone was all that harsh. I mean yes I did say some negative things, but I didnt put them in a rude way. I am not harping on his conversions, they look good. Maybe I shouldnt have said anything and its probably just a personally quirk of mine, but I think that taking pictures of an open box or a codex shouldnt be posted. If I hurt anyone I am sorry. Also the name infamousagenda isnt designed to stir trouble, but looking at the name i guess you could perceive that I want to cause a ruckus(I dont!). I dont think there is a problem with criticism as long as its posted tastefully. What I mean by tastefully is not harass the person, call names, or use any profanity. Perhaps the hair dresser example was over board and I apologize for it. I think this forum doesnt have enough friendly criticism. Also I understand I am going to get a few posts after this that are going to quote me and bash my view, I just hope it doesnt overshadow the author's thread. If someone makes a reference to my post, they should probably also make reference to the author's work too.

i'd like to make some comments about the speeder variants if i may.

it was already said, but i would just like say that i agreed that the autocannon sitting on the front just looked weird and unbalanced, try a hvy stubber, that would probably work better.

the speeder with the canopy was liking, but then u made it opaque. i would have tried to keep it clear some how. idk if you did try to keep it clear and just didnt work out, but thats my 2 cents

InfamousAgenda; As has already been pointed out, peoples preferences in the hobby are different. Some are great painters, some great convertors, others are totally taken with building terrain. There are few of us that are great at everything (I wish).

Also may I point out that this is a W.I.P topic. If you have read all 8 pages you must have gathered by now that Kanan's preference is converting. Again, if you had read the posts you would have also realised that he is tackiling all aspects of building his army including 'fluff' which few of us do at all. His characters have names, history or background, and have been modelled to wysiwyg standards. He has a very definative vision for what his army should look like and is taking the time and patience to make it a reality.

The last thing I would like to point out is vitually every post by Kanan has been in regards to his latest bit of converting. This in it's self raises 2 further side issues. First, he hasn't asked for C&Cs in regards to his painting skills or whether his colour choice is right or wrong - I'm sure he would if he wanted to. (I have been on other forums where some never paint at all. They spend their whole forum life converting and scratch building). And secondly, his whole thread has provided a constant source of new ideas, inspiration and quality. Something hundreds have enjoyed (check the 'veiws' total) and learnt from.

I hate to see someone attacked for no reason, may that be reason enough to defend them equally as strongly.

Catcha - DGC

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Desert Eagle for the support man. i really appreciate it.

thank you Ekkanus for the interest and support. i will actually be doing some painting over the weekend so i will try and get some pics up on here ASAP. and i do hope the tanks grow on you ~winks~.

Paladin7221, thanks for the support man. i have to say this now that for me personally i love the challenge of putting together W40K stuff in new and interesting ways. that is a big part of the hobby for me and i find it very satisfying.

i know some of you who have read through my thread have felt it needed some painted miniatures and i will say this. you are right. ~smiles~ but right now i want to build as much as i can before i start painting properly. i hope you guys can be patient until i can get some painted stuff posted on here.

Brother Styphus, thanks for the interest and the compliments.

sonic reducer, thanks for the comments man. and as to your question, the ablative armour plates are from a Tamiya M60A1 1/35th scale kit. the model number for it is 1/35.ITEM 35157*2600. i basically put them together with their supports and then placed them on various parts of the Predator until i was happy with the way they looked, then i glued them in place. any decent hobby store should be able to order you in Tamiya kits as they are widely available.

hey Jed. thank you for the support mate. i do appreciate it and thanks for all the interest in the thread over the last year. ~high fives you~.

thanks for the comments and the interest King Tiger. ~smiles~

infamousagenda, firstly when i saw your initial comment in my thread it really p***ed me off, i had been having a trying week and that just seemed like some informal icing on the cake.

my reply to you was pretty sarcastic. then thinking about it for a moment i edited it. i just would like to say this to you, if you had been writing a WIP thread for over a year and someone posted that in your thread, wouldnt it annoy you just a little?

anyways that aside and after re-reading your post i do appreciate some of what you say. you must remember however that this is a work in progress thread and people work in different ways and tackle different aspects of the hobby process.

you cant expect people to do things in a similar fashion to yourself. we are all different after all and this is what makes us all unique.

now onto something you raised in your post. you are painting a Dark Angel scheme right? well feel free to post in here what colours you are going to be using ect.

i myself am going to use foundation paints, namely Orkhide Shade as a base then building up the colour with Dark Angels Green, Snot Green & Sunburst Yellow. i look forward to hearing from you.

Inquisitor_Lensoven, with regards to that particular Tsunami/Tempest variant after seeing what it looked like with a nose mounted Autocannon i binned the idea but if i can get a hold of a heavy stubber i would certainly like to see how that would look.

you also mentioned the canopy that i worked on. well the thing is initially i wanted to make it clear but due to the superglue fogging up the plastic i then had to re-think the whole idea.

hence the armoured canopy with vision ports. if you have any ideas on how a clear canopy could be realised then feel free to post something here. thank you for the comments and the interest.

DGC, thank you for all the support mate. it means alot to me. look forward to speaking to you soon.

best regards

kanan

peace

I have that problem with canopies as well, when i was working on a certain vehicle for a "non power armoured" army, the froogling thing kept fogging up so in the end up i painted the blasted thing......hows the progress coming along?

Ekkanus

• 4 months later...

well chaps it has been awhile. sorry for the lack of updates but now im back from my travels ill have time to work on my Dark Angels properly. when i was away i picked up a Predator from GW birmingham and put the basic model together with the ForgeWorld spaced armour upgrade kit. the model is assembled minus iconography and a few embellishments. one thing i did do is move the turret further back simply by flipping the hull plate around so it looks like a British Scorpion AFV. i prefer the look of the tank this way. well more updates will be following over the next few days as im actually painting some miniatures. some Dark Angel veterans so i shall post them up here when i get some more paint on them sometime tommorow.

anyways its good to be back.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00205.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00206.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00204.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00203.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00202.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00207.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00208.jpg

cheers.

best regards

kanan

+++ edit +++

sorry Ekkanus for the very slow reply :tu: the progress on the Landspeeders is stalled for the moment. though i do want to try one with the clear canopy you mentioned in your post. i think i will have to be very very careful gluing the clear panels to each other otherwise fogging will be an issue yet again. thing is im sure liquid poly wont work with the clear plastic sheet im using so it will have to be standard superglue. when i start up work on the new batch of Landspeeders ill be sure to post up my progress on here. hope all is well with you.

kanan

thank you Brother Caedrius for the interest :) im glad you like my Tsunami Variant Landspeeder, its one of my favourite conversions. very simple but very effective. but onto your question, as to the legalities of playing a W40K game with a Tsunami you would have to ask for your opponents permission to use the vehicle in its current configuration of twin Heavy Bolters and Assault Cannon, Multi Melta or Heavy Flamer.

as to points, looking at the 5th Editon SM Codex i would say the basic cost of a Tsunami Variant without nose mounted weapons to be 65 pts*, then for any additional weapons use the appropriate entry for the Landspeeder in the codex. if your opponent isnt happy for you to use it then simply say that it counts as a standard pattern Landspeeder Tornado. when i use the Tsunami in a game i count the Heavy Bolters as side mounted not twin linked, they of course only have a forward fire arc, so wherever the Tsunami is facing is where they can fire.

however the only additional weaponry i will allow is a nose mounted Heavy Weapon, either a Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta or an Assault Cannon. The gunner in the Tsunami is considered to be an observer as the pilot has control of all the weaponry.

having said that i have modelled Space Marines in the gunner side of the Tsunami holding Plasma guns or Auspexs ect. this is just to personalize the model further and not for gaming purposes. anyways i hope you build at least one as theyre nice models to have.

thank you Ompfris for the comments, i have 4 Tsunami Variant Landspeeders at present but i do want at least 3 more! i hope you get enough Predator or Razorback sprues so you can get making your own Tsunami Variants. let me know how it comes along.

hey Midian, its strange isnt it? simply swapping the hull plate around gives the Predator a new look. this was the first one i made with the Forgeworld Spaced Armour kit. i am quite happy with the results but i want to add alot more details to it. thank you for the positive comments.

oh and here are some pics of something that has been sitting on my desk for awhile.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00257.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00259.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00256.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00261.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00258.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC00262.jpg

enjoy

That's good to know, thanks for the info! I bought a Predator today, fixed it up with Las Cannons, so now have the required Heavy Bolter Sponsoons spare. I will definitely make a Tsunami and field it as "counts as Sammael in Land Speeder".

Keep up the good work and keep updating!

cheers

it all looks very nice, the only minor thing i dont like is that the multi melta and chainfist are on the same termie, if that get killed then both of your anti tank weapons get removed from play.

but the long chainfist blade looks the nuts :)

Nice job on the pred man(I flip the plate too looks cooler IMO)and from a fellow converter over painter I know how it is to catch grief from people about paint hang in there have fun,hell it took me years to finish my models and base coat em.

Archived