Warhound Titan rules and interpreting them

okay, just to put out so i dont get admonished too much, i have only been playing for about 7 months, and i have 3 armies of decent size, but because i am new to the game still, i am still wrestling with rules.

but what i am asking about is the rules on the warhound titan. i currently own one, and still painting it (but not fully assembled), and since space marines can only use the HYENA type titan, (mars pattern) i am asking that if you have your mars pattern as your main titan (squad sergeant), can you run 2 more titan of differing types? (like the wolf and jackyl class).

i have the 2006 update book, but it only says that titan run in packs of 1-3, and nothing else. so since i am running space marines, can i only run 3 hyena's? or run the hyena as my main one and the 2 others be of differing types?

because my interpretation of the rules in that if your running space marines, and you have a titan, that if your running the hyena as your main one, you can run the 2 other titans types i the same squad as well.

well it only goes that even though the guard can use the lucius patterns (and from what i know, space marines can only use mars pattern stuff). but from conversations that i have had, if you have a mars pattern as your main one, then you can have 2 lucius patterns as your secondary titans in your squad.

well not to put a dampener on things, but according to my Imperial armour update 2006, the Titan of either pattern can only be officially used in a Imperial guard army, as it is listed under the imperial guard section of the book, not the space marines.

HOWEVER

I suppose in a friendly game it is entirely possible to use it with the opponents consent

also there is no difference points wise or rule wise between the classes, so theres no rules such as SGT's titans etc to stop you using whatever pattern of titan you wish to use

well what i had meant when guard can only use the lucius was that its the only type thats pictured, of course they can use the mars pattern. but like i said, fron the conversations i have had with friends (and even games workshop managers) that marines can only use the mars pattern.

and i havent talked to them about it yet, but i would like to ask them if space marines can use the other types, and not just the mars pattern. because from what i know, the marines can only use mars class stuff.

(p.s.- i have even modified the captain of my titan from being the regular morderati to an actual space marine captain.using the passenger legs from an attack bike. and using an emperors champions left arm, and a devastator squad sargeants right arm. so it looks like the captain of the the titan is pointing and gving orders. it looks cool, i just need to get a digicam to take pics)

• 4 months later...

Stella Cadente

I just happened to come across your post while looking for a rule, where did you get

"well not to put a dampener on things, but according to my Imperial armour update 2006, the Titan of either pattern can only be officially used in a Imperial guard army, as it is listed under the imperial guard section of the book, not the space marines."

My copy says "Titans are organised into Titan Legions and controlled by the Adeptus Titanicus, the military division of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Each Legion has its base on forge world, from where it sends out Titans to warzones across the galaxy to aid the Imperium's other fighting forces."

Titans can be used to back up any army, if only the IG could have them then FW would sell less than they do now.

Looking at the online store, the main differance is it's appearance, and the weapons it carries. (Mars Pattern only seems to have the plasma blastgun and the vulcan mega bolters, while the Lucius can have a wide variaty of weapons)

this is not related to the question, so apologies for that, but its related in that its a question on titans :ph34r:

anyway, imo, titans are deployed as a separate detachment to the main force, as they are commandered by Adeptus Mechanicus' legions.

back to my question, i have yet to get myself a copy of Imperial Armour update 2006, where its supposed to bring in the rules of the titans up to date with the current codices and rules. so, is the plasma blastgun still AP2? or have they finally upgraded it to AP1?

Yeah, as has been said the Titan Legion are a seperate entity from the Space Marine chapters. Basically, Space Marines don't use Titans. They request titan support and Mars sends them whatever they deem is appropriate to the battle. (and is available, obviously)

Also, forget about Imperial Armour, wait a couple of Months of Apocalypse and you'll have official GW published rules for the Warhound, from what I've heard.

I don't understand what the OP is talking about. I have never heard of a Hyena class warhound, and Forge World certainly doesn't carry anything like that. Nor have I ever heard of any sort of restrictions in it's use. Nothing is said about that in IA: Update 2005, and I own a copy of The Taros Campaign, and neither limits in any way what army it can be taken with. I suppose that Update 2006 could have completly changed that, but it'd be the first I heard about it.

feor, noted on the upcoming apo rules, thing is, we have a megabattle this weekend which will be my warhound's baptism of fire, the opponents have their own big machines up, so i was hoping my plasma titan killers cud do them some dmg - AP1 wud help, D6 roll of 6 to pen :D

i heard that there's goin to be a new update on the IAs, any truth to this?

• 3 years later...

Archived