pistols in combat

In the BBB it says that you can use pistols in combat and it gives you an extra attack, but i'm confused, because if they are firing at the enemy in combat then surely a plasma pistol would be more effective than a bolt pistol and if you are just clubbing at the enemy then surely a chainsword would be more effective.

Having the pistol just gives an extra attack to be used by your main weapon. Ignore the idea that a plasma pistol is better than a bolt pistol. In close combat, they both mean the same thing +1 attack.

Well combat itself is not just hand-to-hand combat, it also includes point-blank firing of weapons (I don't imagine T'au being to happy about having to hit people with their guns, instead they would just fire them) but to make the rules simple, they treat it all the same. Pistols just grant an additional attack, although I have seen Inferno Pistols used as Powerfists in more shooty armies.

Surely weve all seen the original Dawn of War intro where the Sgt unloads a bolt pistol into an Orks face on his right side, aims at another one, takes a hit on the pistol so saws upwards through the Boyz stomach with his chainsword?! Now thats CC!

Catches breath.....Look at it like the SM using the reach of his primary combat weapon to push his opponent back so he can cap him through the chest/head/groin.....

Surely weve all seen the original Dawn of War intro where the Sgt unloads a bolt pistol into an Orks face on his right side, aims at another one, takes a hit on the pistol so saws upwards through the Boyz stomach with his chainsword?! Now thats CC!

Catches breath.....Look at it like the SM using the reach of his primary combat weapon to push his opponent back so he can cap him through the chest/head/groin.....

yep that opening scene captured 40k battles perfectly. Loud, fast, and hard hitting. They even got the dreadnough spot on..kick ass at long range attacks but doesn't stay in the fight very long. That scene with the sergeant blasting the orks fave off with the bolt pistol got me so pumped! I couldn't wait to get my hands on the game.

• 1 year later...

Can I clarify a related question here? Namely, do Seraphim armed with inferno pistols count as firing with those pistols in CC? I.e. does a squad of 5 seraphim with 2 inferno pistol toting space-nuns and an eviserator veteran get 4x Str 4 AP5 attacks, 4x Str8 AP2 attacks and 3 Str 10 AP2 hits on the charge?

I guess this is a more general question about pistol weapons in CC, and would apply to plasma pistols also.

First off AP value is not used in any way, shape, or form in close combat. Two pistols in close combat are just two close combat weapons. You don't use their strength or AP. You use the stats of the model and just add one attack for two close combat weapons.

Except: page 42 of the Black Reach Rule Book: "Two of the same special weapon [i.e. two inferno pistols]: These models gain one additional attack. All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, use the special weapon's bonuses and penalties"

I take bonuses and penalties to mean for instance higher strength and AP in the case of inferno pistols and "Gets Hot" rules in the case of dual wielded plasma pistols (if there's a model that has those).

Archived