Shrouding Question

Rotaru

This came up in a game tonight with a friend, my Imperial Fists vs Grey Knights.

I received 1st turn and wanted to shoot at a unit of Grey Knights with a Dev squad; they were 24 inches apart from each other as per the scenario we did. I rolled a 24 for their Shrouding. Now, my opponent argued that they would have to be within 24 inches to be seen and therefore could not be shot at. I said that since they were 24 inches apart exactly, they could be seen.

After a bit of discussion we said that the Devs could not see the Grey Knights (I was stubborn that they could, but I just wanted to get the game rolling). What do you guys think?

I assume you were playing either Seek & Destroy or Recon as your mission? If so, then you can not set up within 24" of your opponent. That means you must set up at least 24.1" away from your opponent, not 24". Therefore if you rolled 24" to see if you could spot the Grey Knights then you have failed as they must be more than 24" away from you according to the scenario rules.

As Ghaz said, its the same as the 12" Infiltrate. You have to set up a distance greater than 24" (24.1" without going into more decimal places) and thus a roll of 24 puts you outside of the range.

• 1 year later...

I'll ask a follow-up shrouding question: (I'm the GK player in this situation):

I normally play that vehicles don't get shrouding since they're not units of grey knights (only PAGK, GKY and characters would get it) but the guy I was playing against, a former GK player, said he always played with shrouding on vehicles as they're identified as "grey knight land raider" etc and therefore GK units.

I couldn't find the reference in the rules to "does not apply to vehicles" and we were in the middle of the game, so I didn't argue, but where is the clarification on this?

Thanks!

I would say no, as under each GK unit it has "special rules: Grey knight, see page 8" while for the vehicles it doesnt.

It is sort of implied that vehicles should get it in my opinion, but there isnt a mention of it either way as usual.

Logically, vehicles cannot have it due to the presence of the 'Blessed' upgrade for GK Dreadnoughts, which gives them the Aegis special rule. If they counted as Grey Knights, they would already have that special rule and so that piece of wargear would be pointless. The wargear is there, so vehicles shouldn't have the GK special rules to start with.

I would say no, as under each GK unit it has "special rules: Grey knight, see page 8" while for the vehicles it doesnt.

It is sort of implied that vehicles should get it in my opinion, but there isnt a mention of it either way as usual.

indeed, aditionaly on pg 20 under "grey Knights terminoligy" it defines which units are "Grey Knights" vehicles are not on the list

shrouding is only for those units with the grey knight special rule, land raiders etc. dont have that rule, it'd be like saying that a land raider should have chapter tactics or something because its called a "space marine land raider"

Archived