Chaos Math

Gold Raven

Well, I've found this thread, and being a maths-aholic, I'll throw in a piece of UI (thanks to 'The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers'):

The Dewey code for numerology is 512.73, and 666 - 512.73 [drumroll] = 153.27, which has the same digits as 512.73 but in a different order "symbolising the affect of removing evil from the world".

Not exactly 40k related, but it's still interesting to the maths nut. However, 40 is also a biblical reference to 'a long time', eg. 40 day & nights; 40 years, so perhaps GW choice of WH40k actually means 'a long time in the future'? Well, maybe!

Should I be excited or worried then that my birthday is 03/03?! Perhaps it's why I felt the temptation recently to start collecting Emperor's Children.

And I, being 12/12, am related to what? World Eaters? Pity I'm doing a DIY legion! :P

....=42

If you must know, 42 would be Slaanesh crossed with Nurgle: 6x7. Its also 3+4+5+6+7+8+9.

Wrong! 42 = 6 x 9 (:teehee:), which is the Slaanesh crossed with Tzeentch.

I shall now leave before the nerd-brigade arrive to take me away! [disappears in a puff of logic]

This is the most insane thread i have read in a loooooooooong time! Do you think gw have time to do all this. They determine all stats, release dates and points values by throwing batches of dice. In the same manner Coursework is marked

And T.sons should really be legion no.7 as 7 i often regarded as being the holiest number in magic. coincidentally there are 7 series of Buffy

Its a conspiracy, a conspiracy i say! *gets dragged awya dribbling from his computer, to a mental asylum*

How does Chaos put an army list together with math skills like these?

Since the subject of birthdays has come up, I should probably talk a bit about relative numbers.

I generally don't like to apply numerical relationships to things like time and distance because those things vary depending on how one counts time or how one counts distance. My own birthday is 07/05, but only on the lunar calendar. The Julian date is 186. I imagine the date is even more different using the calendar systems of other cultures, and even other maths that use something other than base-10.

Its similar with distance. Some use yards, others use meters, others use hoobagoobajabas or whatnot. So like time, distance is fairly relative.

However, proportions are absolute. a/b in yards is the same as a/b in meters or hoobagoobajabas. As a result, numbers like Pi or Phi are constant regardless of what form of math you use.

Not exactly 40k related, but it's still interesting to the maths nut. However, 40 is also a biblical reference to 'a long time', eg. 40 day & nights; 40 years, so perhaps GW choice of WH40k actually means 'a long time in the future'? Well, maybe!

Tag's example is really good. It isn't as important how the number 40 is represented as much as its possible meaning. It may not be exactly the 41st millenium, but what's really important is that its a really, really long time in the future.

Also in regards to flipping numbers upside-down or noting their resemblance to letters, keep in mind that these only apply to our own alphabet and letters. Other languages don't see the same thing. A 9 is an upside-down 6 for us, but that's isn't always true for everyone. The Arabic 8 is an upside-down Arabic 7, but the two look nothing alike to us.

Gold Raven is, of course, quite right (except for the name: it's Teg, not Tag! One of the mods thought it was teq! ;)). If we're trying to decipher meaning from the chaos (or Chaos!) of the universe, we can't use units as they're something we've made up...

But who cares!? Lets have fun! :P

• 2 weeks later...
An old theory, I came across the 18 multiplied by 37, (18 terminators with MoCU 18x37=666) Means 6 'Reapers' were avalible, with the chaos lord, the 7 dark ones, 6 reapers and the 'chaos' lord. Seems maybe it was accidental, but who knows.

The funny thing about 666 though is that it is based upon a passage in the book of Revalation. Most modern translations that use the decimal system portray the number as '666'. However no one knows what language John saw when he wrote the numbers. Did he see a series of repeating symbols, each one representing 6 individually, or did he see an actual numerical value. For instance, 666 in Roman numerals (very common at the time) would be DCLXVI. 666 as an octal number would be 832. But even in octal, a set of simple repeating symbols individually valued at 6 would still be 6-6-6. 666 as repeated roman numerals would be VI-VI-VI.

I may take some time later this week to check some of the roman numerals I've seen in Space Marine art.

All letters of the hebrew alphabet have a correlated numerical value. As far as I know 666 in the book of revelations (let him who hath understanding recon the number of the beast for it is a human number & it's number is 666) is ment to be a sum of the numerical values of the letters in the name of the beast. (An intresting feature is that the sum of the letters in the hebrew name of Nero is 666, while the sum of the letters of Jesus is 888).

Anyway it's all about 23 :D

*grin* I'll see what I can add to this thread!

15. Thousand Sons. Chaos, Tzeentch, who's number is 9. 9 and 15 are not related by any immediate simple mathematic operation. But then, Tzeentch doesn't follow rules like that. Has prime factors 3 and 5.

Tzeentch's magic number: 9, has prime factors of 1 and 3.

Alright, so Tzeentch's legion number: 15, has prime factors of 1, 3 and 5.

Multiply Tzeentch's legion number and magic number, and you get the number 135.

1 plus 3 plus 5 is equal to 9.

1 multiplied by 3 multiplied by 5 is equal to 15.

I'd go on further, but's it's past 2:00pm, and I'm not wearing any pants!

Cheers,

Lawrence.

Tzeentch's magic number: 9, has prime factors of 1 and 3.

Alright, so Tzeentch's legion number: 15, has prime factors of 1, 3 and 5.

Multiply Tzeentch's legion number and magic number, and you get the number 135.

1 plus 3 plus 5 is equal to 9.

1 multiplied by 3 multiplied by 5 is equal to 15.

I'd go on further, but it's past 2:00pm, and I'm not wearing any pants!

:beep: :beep: :beep:! Maths Nerd Alert! :wink:

Keep it going everyone!

Veshiel, Teg, Sceleris - Go read The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams and all shall become clear.

All very interesting. As for 3 being 'perfect', that's wrong. The first of the mathematically perfect numbers is 6. 6 is the number of Slaanesh, whose legion is the Emperor's Children, best known for their striving for perfection.

More on Perfect Numbers

My B-Day is 6/10/84 ... 6+10+1984=2000... Most games I play are 2k, and manage to get 3 to 1 win/loss ratio in these games. I roll above average (more 5's and 6's then 1's and 2's).

The god's numbers added are 6+7+8+9=30. Any of the numbers can be dispersed among the other three numbers to make 30. (more ironies of 3)

6 dispersed among the others would be 3, 2 and 1.

7 dispersed among the others would be 4, 2 and 1.

8 dispersed among the others would be 4, 3 and 1.

9 dispersed among the others would be 4, 3 and 2.

There are eight points on the icon of undivided.

8x6=48

8x7=56

8x8=64

8x9=72

Adding all 4 numbers becomes 240, times that by eight and its 1920.

In 1920 Adolf Hitler started his genocidal conquest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Soci...n_Workers_Party .

In 1920 Wall street was bombed by terrorists with no incidents between then and 9/11 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_bombing .

Reverting back to my 9/11 theory linked to 1920, first wallstreet bombing in a carriage of all things. And Adolf Hitlers genocidal conquest of so called 'inpurity'. One of religeon, the other of racism, both hallmark starts of long blood paths. Linked to 1920, linked to the god's numbers and the undivided icon.

Sorry, too much free time...

my birthday being the 12/8 i guess i would be the khornate world eaters i have always had a urge to do world eaters

plus i was born in 1994 94 being 12*8-2(2 being the nuber of khorne(8) / by the number of chaos gods(4))=94

i get shivers down my spine

This is the most insane thread i have read in a loooooooooong time! Do you think gw have time to do all this. They determine all stats, release dates and points values by throwing batches of dice. In the same manner Coursework is marked

And T.sons should really be legion no.7 as 7 i often regarded as being the holiest number in magic. coincidentally there are 7 series of Buffy

Its a conspiracy, a conspiracy i say! *gets dragged awya dribbling from his computer, to a mental asylum*

Congratulations on your 666th post - while posting this.

To clearify that: 1 is NOT a prime number; 2 is the first one.

I should have to know, being a Maths student ^^

Also, the whole scientific Maths would brake down if 1 was a prime number.....

Keep this up guys; I've never been the one for coming up with such number-crunching himself, but it's interesting to read ^^

greetz X

You want a real conspiracy? Hows this: In ancient hebrew, the number 666 was represented by... www.

Look at any webpage address and you see.....

www.

:pinch:

(Reaches for tinfoil hat and survival supplies...)

I mentioned this one further up the thread, however there have apparently been some sources that have suggested that originally the number was 616.

XaroX - as a maths student you'll know that many things depend on your choice of definition. For a long time the majority opinion was that 1 was the first prime but the last century saw the balance swing in favour of 2. However some are still loyal to 1 (it's our very own little Heresy).

(I was a maths & physics student at university but eventually they gave me a degree and sent me off to get a real job :confused: )

6 x 9 = 53. Not 42.

I find this one quite ironic.

I also find it quite ironic that people playing a game mechanic that is dominated by the rolling 6 sided dice cannot added them together *accusing look at Teg, Vashiel and Varath*

I shall clear this one up once and for all.

6 x 9 is *drumroll* 54.

I also find it amusing that most PCs have a calculator tool. Technology - the bane of simple spelling and arithmatic it seems.

But this thread is quite interesting - If you haven't done so, Gold Raven, watch a movie called Pi. It's full of this sort of play-on-numbers.

Is it that you are all too young (shouldn't be cause i've known it for a few years) or you just not read/watched/heard one of the greatest sci fi stories ever.

I'm hoping those that are saying 6x9=42 are referencing it, and do know how to do maths *It's maths here in Aus Exalted Warsmith*.

It is from Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, where Arthur is trying to find the Great Question to life the universe and everything with the aid of scrabble pieces.

(apologies to Malagant in advance for what I'm going to do, and excessive use of smilies!)

I also find it quite ironic that people playing a game mechanic that is dominated by the rolling 6 sided dice cannot added them together *accusing look at Teg, Vashiel and Varath*

Dare I say that 6*9 is not addition? Though it is shameful that I, an A-Level maths student, didn't notice the 6*9=53 mistake. But then again I am a maths student, so why should I be good at arithmetic! :D

I also find it amusing that most PCs have a calculator tool. Technology - the bane of simple spelling and arithmatic it seems.

Quite so. Arithmetic anyone? :unsure:

(This spelling correction was brought to you by Firefox.)

I find this one quite ironic.

Indeed! :D

Now, can we stop picking each others mathematical brains and re-start picking the mathematical brains of Chaos?

Now, can we stop picking each others mathematical brains and re-start picking the mathematical brains of Chaos?

Indeed...-sigh- the infighting and pointless arguing of the chaos legions' made clear for all to see.The followers of the chaos gods once again spending their energies over meaningless details,when they should be focusing their energies elsewhere.And to SUM this up:

MY MATHS ARE CHAOSIER THAN THINE

Chaotic accounting will bring the imperium to its knees...some day.

Noo! Not the Auditors of Doom, cultists of the oft overlooked Chaos God of accountancy!

They do not fight, they point out the financial benefits of the disbanding of your army! Or bore you to death. Whichever comes first. ;)

Archived