The Dominus Ex Machina

So, long time no see B&C, some of you may or may not remember my old Space Marine thread where I showed you my Phantom marines (home made chapter). It's been a long time since then though and you haven't heard of me lately around here since I've been busy making armies that has no power armour (mainly Death Korps of Krieg) and painting commissions. I wish to return to the site with some fresh material though and here I am.

I am going to build and paint a Mars Pattern Warhound Titan, ordered from ForgeWorld. Here's a picture of the venerable Titan transport vehicle, which just now arrived from the Forge World:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/SupremeGrandMaster/Mars%20Pattern%20Warhound%20Titan/IMGP3074.jpg

And the contents of said transport with some minis for size comparison. I've come to realize that almost no one has showed any decent pictures of their forge world bought Titans, or the Titan parts so I will have plenty of picture updates along the way of building this beast for you (at least I had difficulties finding good pictures of the parts etc etc).

However, this will be a one of a kind Titan, and I'm not fumbling in the darkness alone here. I've brought in some support all the way from Argentina (or well, I didn't bring him in, he's staying there). Let me introduce the second star of the show, ladies and gentlemen, I give you.... Freak Forge! Aye, it is true, Freak Forge will be sculpting details for the beast (if they can still be referred to as "details" on this monumental scale), some of his early concept sketches can be found via links bellow:

I

II

III

IV

V

There have been some minor changes from these sketches, for example the scroll that reads "Machina Spiritus" will read "Dominus Ex Machina", with "Ex" appearing on a small scroll in front of the angel, a little below the ends of the two other scrolls. And if you haven't figured it out yet, the titan will be named Dominus Ex Machina, hence the thread name. However it is important to me that Freak Forge can put his name on there too since he is taking a big part in the project, and he said he was going to work on that. He is currently working on some sketches for the top carapace-like armour since the original idea he had with a balcony up there didn't really stick with me. I have so far only thoroughly cleaned the parts Freak Forge is going to work his magic on from the mould release agent and will be cleaning them up from mould lines, vents and all other kinds of hell there is on them.

I must add that it was a difficult choice between the loyal war hound and the chaos one, the chaos interior is lovely and glorious in it's own way (if you haven't seen it, visit forgeworlds web-site and check it out) but I like Freak Forges gothic and old imperial style so many thanks to Freak Forge for saving my soul from the chaos temptations and eternal damnation...

So, this just might be the longest intro post you've seen, but well, this is the end of it, I expect Freak Forge to make his appearance and elaborate on his sculpting plans in due time. I will post updates whenever there is one. (I hope I posted this in the right place, I though about posting it in the AdMech forum but it is a WiP not a discussion so I placed it here, I suppose that the powers that be will move it if it's in the wrong place)

Wish me and Freak Forge luck...

thought for the day: Labour long in His sight

+++EDIT+++

To begin with we were two people working on the Titan, Freak Forge and myself. However as time has gone by one more person has joined the show. The person in question is Mark Tait, painter extraordinaire and multiple golden demon winner. Mark is helping me a great deal with the painting part of this little puppy by lending me his experts advice and proffessional opinion regarding my brush-slinging actions.

+++END EDIT+++

The transport vehicle looks battered and damaged! The foul xenos must have attempted to destroy the mighty titan on its way to the construction yard!

Looks like its alot of work though >.> I will be interested to see the end result especially if freak forge is working on it too!

Thanks everyone for showing an interrest in our litlle "undertaking".

I agree; I haven't seen any good pics of a well-done FW Titan, and this one looks like it will be awesome. Keep the updates comin'!

It has the potential, and both I and freak forge will try our very best to make it something special. There will be updates as soon as there is one, right now I'm cleaning up the parts destined for Freak Forge. As soon as they are sent for him to play around with I will start assembling the feet (which I've been told are made up of 24 pieces a piece, although I myself have not verified this it seems likely).

Make sure you put a nice base on it...;)

I'd prefer to put the Titan on the base :teehee: Hehe, bad joke. Well, seriously then, it will have a proper display base (we wouldn't want this thing to fall over when it's done would we...) but I'm as of yet undecided on what to put on it, any and all ideas/suggestions are welcome! I'm considering having him wander about in some ruins, but as said I’d like to hear your suggestions.

In the next update you can expect pictures of the parts Freak Forge will work on and pictures of the feet, unassembled.

EDIT:

Sounds really good, but the pics aren't working for me. :D

Strange, they work fine for me, anyone elso who's having problems? I can't access photobuckets website though.. maybe they're having problems?

Thought for the day: Iron in mind and body! Hail the Machine!

Wow , so many comments ...

I´m still thinking that some city ruins will work perfect on the base ... and the Titan walking crossing buildings ... (just like the new TRANSFORMERS´ movie).

I will keep you updated about the sculting ... as soon the pieces come to my home.

So , stay tunned ...

HAIL TO MARS!

Freakforge

I really like the ideas you've got going here! Please keep em' coming! I'll have to have at least some idea of what to do with the base pretty soon since the feet will be modelled to go with the base.

I've got some pictures to treat you with ;) To get a better sense of the size of this thing I took all of the largest parts and pinned them together (but without glue) just to see what we have to look forward to. Devastator squad "Defaeco pallens" (purge the weak in Latin) was more than happy to pose near the hull in order for you to get a better sense of scale:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/SupremeGrandMaster/IMGP3101.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/SupremeGrandMaster/IMGP3103.jpg

And well, here's the princeps (who I still haven't removed the flash from I can see now...)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/SupremeGrandMaster/Princepsfromconcepttoreality.jpg

If anyone has a particular part they want a picture of just ask and ye shall recieve.

I've cleaned all of the freak forge parts, I'm going to look into how and how much it will cost me to send him the parts tomorrow.

HEY GUYS!

Really glad that someone else is at last taking the time to take on this beauty of a model! I have painted 5 now for Forgeworld (all the variants on their site- bar the chaos one- mine was tiger eyes legion) and so far have only seen a couple of interesting other examples.

This looks like a very interesting project that could be GD worthy!

cheers

Warhound (hence my monika;-)

well the titan legions belongs to the adeptus mechanicus.and we to the adeptus astartes.BUT

some chapters like the ultramarines that rule ultramar got inside their territories titan legion homeworlds.Now according to the IA who descripe the BfM

claims that beside the blessed Ultramarine 1st Company fought ultramars PDF regiments and the Titan Legio Praetor.So there is no objection by my side why not a Titan Legion to dont fight alongside an Astartes Chapter.Personaly my titan (when i ll get one ofcourse)will be painted Ultramarines Blue with Ultramarines and adeptus Titanicus/Mechanicus insignia to represent the Praetor Legio.

Thank you for your replies, please if you have any more ideas for the base, let me hear it since I still haven't decided.

Work has come to a grinding halt on my part because I just found that one part for a foot is missing. The sole for one foot was never in the package so I'll call forge world about it and hopefully get one.

HEY GUYS!

Really glad that someone else is at last taking the time to take on this beauty of a model! I have painted 5 now for Forgeworld (all the variants on their site- bar the chaos one- mine was tiger eyes legion) and so far have only seen a couple of interesting other examples.

This looks like a very interesting project that could be GD worthy!

cheers

Warhound (hence my monika;-)

Wow, you've painted five of them... that is an amazing feat in my book considering the size of these things (you did great on the ones for Forge World too)! Hopefully our Titan will be GD worthy but... I've heard that you no longer can enter anything unless you did it completely by yourself, and since there's two of us working on this one our Titan probably wont ever see a Golden Daemon competition :P

Whoa totally awesome, I wish I had the money for a titan, I should get a job but I'm still in secondary school so I can't be arsed. You should build something into the head to make it bob up and down like a nodding dog. :turned:

Demands updates

Well...

Work has come to a grinding halt on my part because I just found that one part for a foot is missing. The sole for one foot was never in the package so I'll call forge world about it and hopefully get one.

But I've cleaned all of Freak Forges parts and cut away all the details of said parts, they will be sent within next week when I'm in USA on vacation (it's cheaper to send stuff to Argentina from USA than it is to send it from Sweden).

Other than that I'm painting the two moderaii crew members, but they're not done yet so I'll withhold the pictures.

Archived