The Dominus Ex Machina

wow, this sounds sooo cool. pitty you can only enter a modle in GD if its all your work. #

im sure forge world shal send you a new part.

as for the wip crew members post some piks, i like to see progress on peoples painting

good luck with the entire project

Dave

Damn right about the whole dual entry thing.

As a regular contestant, I have to agree with the ruling as well, however, they changed their minds about titans being allowed from one year to the next (my first Wargriffons titan was bought by Tony C after being disqualified), so maybe this will change too.

In terms of lenght of time to do a titan, if you have an airbrush, you should be able to do one in 2 weeks (1 week to clean and assemble) 1 week to paint).

Recommendations:

Do not glue leg/ groin/ hull plates on- paint them seperate. It will allow you to go to town on all the mechanical goodness of the legs:-)

Do not assemble the torso. If you 'pre-pin' the pieces, so that you know they will slot together firmly, it will allow you to paint the interior well, pin together and then slot the hull plate over the top with minimal fuss.

Tamiya tape is GREAT for masking off areas.

Be careful with the piping- it has a tendancy to snap if the curves are over forced. Also make sure that you have zip kicker or some other accelarator to hand, to glue the pipes in position- the superglue doesnt like adhering to that type of rubber. (oh and don't undercoat- just drybrush the bare rubber or it will flake)

Use large paperclips (2" long) thick ones will do for all large pinning- otherwise the weight of the torso will snap the joins at the waist.- same goes for the guns.

If you need any other help, please ask, as there is a lot that you really wont want going wrong with that puppy.

Good luck, and get some WIPs of the plate detail up soon!

cheers

Warhound

Thank you for the tips warhound :) I have already pinned together the torso (without glue ofcourse) just because I wanted to see what it would look like. I used some pretty thick rod, made from brass I think, I'm confident that it'll hold. The armour plates will be left off and probably painted separetly as well.

I'd like to ask you one thing though, how do you clean the resin from mould release? I've cleaned the pieces for the feet in warm water with some soap by scrubbing the pieces with a toothbrush (bought specificly for the purpose). Do you think this would be enough? Somehow it feels like I need to go to further lengths with cleaning it...

I will not be using an airbrush for it, they cost too much. Especially when considering what I had to pay for the Warhound itself as well. It will be me n' my old trusted brushes :Troops:

I will call forgeworld about the missing part tomorrow... The crew are being painted and I'll pobably have them finished later today.

I've never worked with resin, but my older brother does a lot of work with resin model cars and tanks. He scrubs like you did, with soapy water and an old toothbrush, then rubs them down with isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free rag to make sure there's nothing left on the bodies before he primes them.

Hmmm..

It depends on what you mean by cleaning mold release.

There are 2 types of issue that I have found with Forgeworld resin:

Some times the resin is still 'soft', almost like a skin over a hard surface. if this happens (usually in the undercuts and corners) then cover with superglue to set it and then file it back. (or in severe cases it is best to cut it out and then green back in the detail)

If it is the usual shinyness, then 12 hours soaked in diet coke and scrubbed with a toothbrush, followed by a quick rubbing with alcohol should do the job.

OR

Scrape the shiny veneer off with a blade (much like removing usual mold lines)- this may take a while but it is the surest way.

Oh, and don't forget to pin the lugs which accomodate the piping- they WILL ping off when putting the piping into them otherwise.

cheers

Mark

Thanks A LOT warhound! Diet coke you say... well that sounds strange enought to work, I'll try it ;)

So, tomorrow I'm flying to Los Angeles to go on vacation for about three weeks. Nothing will be done by me during that time... however, the freak forge parts will be sent as soon as I arrive in the states, so he will provide the entertainment untill I return.

I have also called Forge World about the missing part (the sole for one foot) and they will send me one, so when I return I will dedicate all my spare time on building and painting the Titan... We'll see how quickly it gets done... if anyone remembers my old Space Marine thread in the hall of honour they should suspect that it will be a slow moving painting progress...

So I leave you with Freak Forge in charge (may god have mercy upon us all).

Thanks again for the advice warhound, much much appreciated.

No probs dudes.. Bring on the Freakforge!! Oh, and dont forget to paint the crew seperate- they are gorgeous- although looking forward to seeing the mods that are planned!

the crew are being painted, utterly seperate at the moment :lol: Everyone except the princeps which is soon to be dispatched to freak forge. I'm undecided on what colours to paint the moderatii though... I was considering blue, like you did warhound on the forge World one... but we'll see... I'll get around to finishing them... NOW...

EDIT: looked again, and noticed that the moderatii are red in yours... hmm...

Ahhh, I used blue in some (to contrast with the war griffons scheme- dating back to wd 110-112) and used terracota/ red for others to represent their allegience to the ad mech. The later is usually the better choice, as they are the 'faceless' crew members who make up the rank and file.

VERY excited about all this!!! (I may be doing another VERY soon!)

cheers

Freakforge and Dominus working together. You two set the bar high by your selves, I look forwart to seeing the what I am sure will be a truly epic model. Post as many pictures as you can please.

just looking at that box of stuff daunts me - i wouldn't even know where to BEGIN with that sucker!

anyway, i can't wait to see you guys really make some headway on this monster!

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I've got one foot primered and ready for painting and have begun building the leg. Now since it's painting time I really need to decide which paint-scheme to go with. Personally I'm more and more liking the war griffons paint scheme, and am more or less leaning toward this paint scheme at the moment. It took some getting used to but the longer I looked at it the more it warmed up to me (thanks to scrubout on warser who provided the picture):

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/SupremeGrandMaster/Mars%20Pattern%20Warhound%20Titan/wargriffons3warhoundrr0.jpg

The other colour scheme I'm considering is the red one, as done by warhound on the one found on Forge Worlds website, excluding the black/white/yellow hazard striped top armour section, which would be red on mine. Some of you might think that it would be too much red and to plain, but consider that Freak forge will be (or is maybe, I haven't heard from him, but pieces are sent) sculpting details all over the place which will be picked out in nicely contrasting colours.

The third scheme I very much like the idea of is a nice military green scheme, like the red one but green instead. With nice natural matt colours to go along with the green.

Or should I do something new? If so suggestions are welcome.

Which one of the four do you think?

The third scheme I very much like the idea of is a nice military green scheme, like the red one but green instead. With nice natural matt colours to go along with the green.

this sounds like the go to me. i am looking forward to following this thread as the project expands.

I was hoping that there would be a majority favouring one particular colour-scheme and thus perhaps make my choice easier, it seems that this was not to be. I run a project log of this Titan on several forums and well, there just isn't any majority for any particular scheme (or well war griffons do have a slight lead). So I decided to do what I so often do on other ocations, I test them out (the colour-schemes I can come up with that is) to see which one "feels" and/or looks best. So far I have done this:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h153/SupremeGrandMaster/Mars%20Pattern%20Warhound%20Titan/titanpedicure.jpg

Please keep in mind that this was hastily done all in all in less than 30 minutes, I'll re-do them all when I've decided on the final scheme. The left one was not mentioned before, it is grey. I plan on painting the large middle piece in the griffons scheme but this is what I've done so far. I'm really liking the green middle toe. Red has a couple of disadvantages in my oppinion: rust won't show on it and chipping looks odd on it (at least when I try) so red would have to be kept relatively clean, and that's not really what I want.

But it's your oppinions I want so please hand them to me. Griffons scheme will be added in a day or two (I'll probably add some scratches n' stuff too before I decide)

Archived