The Disciples of the Four

Tinweasel

I haven't had a chance to paint much in the past week and my computer's taken another trip to the shop for repair so I don't have access to any of my photo editing programs - I did a bit more work on the Night Lords freehand and took another picture, though. From feedback about the freehand looking more three-dimensional on the helmet, I decided to take that aspect and work it up a little bit more: I bumped up the highlights in the appropriate spots, tidied up some of the uneven appearance I wasn't really happy with to begin with, and deepened the shading of the skull design overall.

I'l going to focus more on the rest of the miniature when I can get to it, as it's mostly basecoating and minimal highlights, but here's a picture of the new work on the helmet from a different angle so as to better show off the relative positioning of everything:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_d4_2_wip4b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
to be honest i preferred the skull in the first picture you posted. but its still an excellent model. looking forward to seeing it finished!
Thanks! The first skull turned out very nice, but I essentially only used two colors. I thought it was rather bland from that standpoint, and feedback elsewhere was commenting on the quasi-3D effect and possible fangs - I thought those were both worth pursuing further, which brings me to...

That's actually really cool. How are you doing the blue/bone? I like the glossy finish
I'm basically following Brother Nihm's recipe for Night Lords blue and red, for the most part - the blue as-is, and the red shaded differently. As for the bone, in the first pic I used essentially a basecoat of P3 'Jack Bone with Vallejo Model Air Burnt Sienna mixed in for shading - that's it. Like I said above, I thought it was a little too flat, so I went back and added pure VMA Burnt Sienna to accentuate the shading and GW Devlan Mud to transition the shading back into the blue and for minor tinting touchups here and there. The highlights were done with GW Bleached Bone thinned down.

As to the glossiness, I thin my paints with a mixture of Future Floor Finish, water, and Liquitex Slow-Dri Extender. The end result is that everything has a slightly glossy finish when dry, but the upturn is that the acrylic floor sealant mixed in makes the paint generally chip- and fall-resistant. It all comes out in the wash, anyhow, when I seal with Krylon Gloss Varnish and Krylon Matte Varnish (and in some cases, like the Renegade Psyker, Testor's Dull Cote with touch-ups to the metals and such again with brush-on gloss.)

Haven't had time to do much in the way of hobby stuff lately, but I've been wanting to try painting this for weeks now and I'm curious what you all think:

http://www.wowway.com/~tinweasel/gw_chaos_warband/gw_d4_2_wip5.jpg

(The Night Lords' lightning effect on the armor, in case I'm being too vague.)

Archived