Modelling: Moving Turret Tutorial

small_dog

[center; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">Creating A Rotating Turret[/center]

Author

Small_dog is a relatively new member but has already contributed greatly, both to the board and the Librarium. His skill at modelling is astounding (at least to us untalented people :turned:- Sig).

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">Method

Step 1
Take a small piece of plasticard and glue it to the turret (this will be used as a spacer). Later, this will be the piece that connects the turret to the other peice of plasticard.

gallery_21629_1620_13316.jpg

Step 2
Next cut a small strip of plasticard long enough that it fits the area of the turret, but is not smaller than the hole and therefore doesn't fall out. Do NOT glue it.

gallery_21629_1620_31786.jpg

Step 3
Next place the turret in its postion.

gallery_21629_1620_62730.jpg

Step 4
Then glue the strip of plasticard you cut in Step 2 to the spacer you glued in place on Step 1. Not to anything else. And then you're done. :teehee:

gallery_21629_1620_45920.jpg

Results

Here is an example of the method applied to a Predator turret.
gallery_21629_1620_16876.jpg

CLICK THE IMAGE FOR VIDEO OF TURRET IN ACTION

gallery_21629_1620_5034.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, Brothers!

I use the same technique on all my turrets, with one difference: I cut two small gaps in the ring (on the tank's upper deck) where the turret fits...these gaps are just slightly larger than the plasticard I use to hold the turret on.

This enables you to remove the turret and substitute a different one...just rotate it to the magic spot, and off it comes.

Just be sure to cut the gaps so that the turret doesn't come off when it's in a common position (for example, pointing straight ahead).

Death to xenos!

- Brent

Archived