Nesewdjet-nedjety completed thread

Vaaish

Simply superb work all around. I know from my own experience how hard it can be to make such a dynamic paint scheme actually look good. However, unlike my own experience, you succeeded :P

Of all the questions I could ask, I think the one I'm most eager to have answered (oddly enough) is your gold recipe.

Thanks! Oddly enough, the gold recipe is probably the most simple. Undercoat of scorched brown, mix in burnished gold and put a layer of that on everything except hte recesses. Do a layer of straight burnished gold again avoiding the recesses. Mix in some mithril silver and do a final layer just hitting the top edges on the gold areas. Sometimes I go back in with black and touchup the recesses for contrast.

• 1 month later...

These guys are finally done! So much detail that had to be painted; I think ended up with 90% of my paints out for the various bits here and there. I'm not 100% sure I'm finished with these guys yet. Some of the arms seem a bit much with the metal and I might go back through tomorrow evening and paint the casing black to tie into the Techmarine a bit more. I haven't yet because it's more time consuming to paint the metals on these guys than to come back with black and highlight. I was going for something less human looking than typical so I thought a more gray blue for the skin would make these appear more automaton than human and help to show the lack of higher brain functions. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't like the coveralls look so I added the jacket and armor plates on three of them. They turned out alright but I think I could have done much better if I'd had tools that could get in the areas I was sculpting to smooth it out more. My server is temporarily not allowing me to upload the image as they hopefully add in more storage space so in the mean time I've put these up on image shack. Once I'm happy I'll probably put a shot up on Cool Mini and hope for the best so I might be plugging them in the near future to bump over 50 votes again....

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5555/servitors01.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2812/servitors02.jpg

Thanks, though I have to say I'm not entirely satisfied with the skin yet. After setting it aside for the night and thinking about it a bit more and conferring with a friend I think that in the process of doing the skin I've lost a lot of the reddish purple in the she shadows and the skin tone is overall too blue. So tonight I'm going to hit them with some targeted washes to help tone in more pink/red/purple rather than the almost entirely desaturated gray.

The GS work you did on the chaplain's head is a bit rough. When I am working with GS, I drink a soda or something sugary to give my spit a real fluid feel, then I just lick my tools when I am smoothing stuff. Before I did that, I used cooking oil. I found the oil a pain to clean off, but if you just put a little oil on your tools, it will allow you to smooth the model without having to worry about wetting your tools ever again.

I think the skin of the servitors could be a little bit more blue or something to contrast all of the metal that is on them a bit more. The army is fantastic otherwise.

I think the skin of the servitors could be a little bit more blue or something to contrast all of the metal that is on them a bit more. The army is fantastic otherwise.

Thanks for commenting, but the first image of the servitors the skin is very blue to the point of blending into the metal. Blue skin + blue metal = no contrast. Blue metal + pink/gray skin = contrast. It was why I ended up changing the skin.

I'm also not entirely sure what you are referring to on the chaplain. There wasn't really any GS work on the head at all, just a fairly minor gap fill. The rest was the front of a skull cut off a WH Fantasy banner and fixed to a regular marine helmet I'd carved up. It was also done over three years ago. :P

Thanks for commenting, but the first image of the servitors the skin is very blue to the point of blending into the metal. Blue skin + blue metal = no contrast. Blue metal + pink/gray skin = contrast. It was why I ended up changing the skin.

I'm also not entirely sure what you are referring to on the chaplain. There wasn't really any GS work on the head at all, just a fairly minor gap fill. The rest was the front of a skull cut off a WH Fantasy banner and fixed to a regular marine helmet I'd carved up. It was also done over three years ago. :tu:

I only looked at the first picture I saw, thinking the second one was just the unit completed. Like an idiot. See, making it more blue in my head, but I didn't realize until after the fact that my post made little to no sense concerning the skin. :)

It looks like gap between the skull that was placed and the original helmet had some rough GS work. I also just noticed this on the foot.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/ChaplainFix.png

When I come into a thread, I'm not trying to troll. I just try to make damn sure I find something wrong with the model or paint job. :P

I had a chance to examine those areas tonight and it's not rough GS. The foot is a poorly painted highlight (this was three years ago, I could do FAR better today!) and the line on the head is actually a shadow formed by how the bits came together and the angle of the light. In other news I've put the Servitors up on CMON with a much higher res image for those interested: http://www.coolminiornot.com/292316

Archived