Tactical Squad Direk

Roughneck

Thanks for all the feedback!

i am curious as to how you achieved such i nice red color what might your secret be?

I seem to get this question a lot heh, I'll go ahead and quote one of my previous answers:

Red can certainly be tricky, and that particular red has taken me a few years to get right. Here's my formula:

Start by priming black (white simply won't give you the deep tones you need).

I then mix 2 parts Chaos Black, 2 parts Bloody Red, and 1 part Terracotta (vallejo game colors, but gw equivalents work the same)

I'll then use this color as a base coat, leaving only the very deepest crevasses black.

With each layer of highlighting, I'll increase the ratio of bloody red in the mix until I get the desired effect

I guess the best pieces of advice I can give are to thin your paints, start dark and keep it dark smile.gif Only hit the smallest, outermost highlights with your brightest red.

can i ask how you do your skin tones? you have a darker tint to your faces which i really like

I really like to experiment with different levels of hue & saturation in my skintones. In the real world, human skin color differs greatly even within individual ethnic groups, thus I never paint flesh in exactly the same way :P

For Brother Larry I based black and worked with mixtures of charred brown, dark fleshtone, bonewhite, and skull white. I threw some gory red into the mix when panting near his bionics to show scar tissue and irritaion.

Due to interest shown in the bearded marine, and my own dissatisfaction with the squad's sergeant, I decided to scrap and replace him :devil:

Here's a sneak peak:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg199/Laghostra/Direk-wip.jpg

Hey, these guys are the shizzle. That red is great. If I may, where is that head from? My army has a lack of manly beards.

Thanks,

The head is from one of the Command Squad sprues, I believe BW bits has it listed as "SM Command Sqd Sgt Heads Service Studs". However, I put the beard on with putty :)

Really nice stuff here, gorgeous work on the red. New sergeant looks tops so far, I was expecting the beard to be a typical darker brown sort of job, but the muddy blonde looks great. Not sure if you've got pics elsewhere that might answer this, but how will you be approaching your power weapons for this force?

Looking forward to the next update :)

Archived