Hashmallim Encarmine: Blood Angels Successor Chapter

AhzeeDahak

Okay, so this might be over the top a little bit, but the idea caught me, shook me, and I haven't been able to successfully flee from it. So instead, I'm building another army, albeit very slowly. First off, here's the fluff behind the armour pattern:

Mk. VII-Jove 'Hussar' Armour

Jove Pattern Armour
gallery_31385_1970_32694.jpg

Armour Name: Hussar Armour

Manufactured: Corinthe, Angels of Iron Orbital Foundry

Used: Conceptual plans developed M31, not accepted for use by any chapters until M41

Features:

• Protection - Excellent. Hussar armour provides protection comparable similar to Imperator armour whilst being easier to manufacture and maintain.
  • Head - Enclosed helmet with basic autosenses. The external mould line has been trimmed from the Mk. VII to reduce weight and aerodynamic penalties at the expense of some sensor and communication performance.
  • Arms - Hussar arm vambraces contain power taps and hard points for mounting integrated weapons packages. Substantially redesigned pouldrons dispense with reactive layers in favor of lighter, passive laminar armour.
  • Legs - Easily identified by the angled Promethium thrusters projecting from the rear calves. First Astartes armour since the Mk. II to dispense with power augmentation to the legs.
  • Power - Hussar armour replaces the subatomic reactor backpacks of preceding armour designs with a small armor-integral fuel cell at the rear, between twin reaction thrusters.

Integrated Systems:

• Life Support - Basic. The sealed armour is capable of short term operation in harsh/lethal environments. Mk VII waste recycling system deleted, although CNBC protection is retained.
  • Sense Enhancement - Basic visual / acoustic autosenses included in helmet design, including IR and LIDAR targeting. Improved Mk. VI-style filters protect the user from dangerous noise / light bursts
  • Communications - Includes equipment for short-medium ranged voice. Data transmission capability deleted, along with logic engine.
  • Mobility - Complete integration of high-agility jump mobility system. Fitted with the magnetic soles, retractable boot spikes and gyroscopic stabilizers.
  • Weapons - Each suit fitted with arm-mounted weapons packages, usually pistols and close combat weapons.

History:

T
he earliest recorded plans for Hussar armour variants date to some of the last writings of Arch-Magos Kyssahndra at the end of M31. More commonly known as the Blind Arch-Magos of Ares Primus, Kyssahndra had been a devotee of the famous Arkhan Land, and followed him on all but his last expedition deep into the Librarius Omnis on Mars. Following Land's disappearance, Kyssahndra retreated to the Martian citadel-foundries of Ares Primus. His work of this time exists now only as scorched fragments and pieces of prototype designs, with nearly all of the foundry consumed by flames during the Slaughter of the Servitors. For reasons unknown, the Blind Arch-Magos turned on foundry's servitors and logos engines, smashing them all in some kind of fit. The Hussar armour plans remained buried in the ash for ten millennia.

It was not until 563.M41 that Artisan Errant Antony rediscovered portions of the Hussar plans deep under the Ares Primus Tell. A senior Adeptus Mechanicus Artisan from Corinthe, Antony had come to Mars to study and create the one Artifact that would prove himself a Magos Fabricator. In Kyssahndra's writings, she saw the kernel of just that artifact. Artisan Antony worked years rebuilding the Kyssahndrian forges, teasing out full fledged design schematics from burnt fragments, and updating the design to encompass the current Mk. VII design and components. In all, she worked to adhere to the guiding principles of Kyssahndra's original work as near as she was able to make out. She first issued Low Rate Production Test Articles in 610.M41.

The Mk. VII-Jove 'Hussar' is first and foremost an effort to make jump packs standard equipment for an Astartes chapter by integrating the thruster systems into the armour itself. The intent was to make jump-capable armour small, light and nimble enough to navigate the smallest spaces and use any transport vehicle available. As such, both Kyssahndra and Antony hoped to make flight a standard ability of Imperial Space Marine forces.

Astartes Mk. IV Jump Packs are famously large and unwieldy for a number of reasons. First and foremost, they must lift the combined weight of a Space Marine, Mk. VII full power armour, Marine weapons systems, and a Mk. VI / VII subatomic reactor. They must also be large enough to contain the Promethium fuel, as there is no fuel storage within the Marine armour. Lastly, they must have quick-release systems, to allow a Space Marine to readily doff the Jump Pack when the fuel runs out or they need to enter a passageway too small for the large jets to navigate.

The Hussar armour is a series of compromises to work around these limitations. Every effort was made to reduce the power load the suit itself demanded. These efforts ranged from the controversial deletion of the waste recycling system and the substitution of less sensitive auto-senses to the even more controversial decisions to eliminate the integral lexmachine and return to the Mk. I power-assist of the upper torso only. This greatly reduces weight and power requirements. Nearly all the spaces under the protection of the armour mould line cleared by these redesigns have been re-tasked to Promethium storage and flight systems. These changes also cut the total suit power requirements by over 80%, and the size and weight of the torso power conduits could be reduced accordingly.

This round of systems engineering led to the sub-atomc power core and cooling backpack being replaced by a much smaller Promethium powered fuel cell, something not seen in Astartes armour since the Crusade pattern. Two small thrusters are mounted high on the rear thorax plastron, and two more are mounted at the rear of the lower legs, allowing the operator to quickly steer and change thrust directions by moving his legs. The center of the chest plastron is replaced with a circular access port, allowing the Hussar armour to be refueled and the life support tanks to be topped off. This is necessary as the deletion of the reactor core returns the Space Marine to requiring regular refueling, something unneeded since the Great Crusade. This has the limited saving grace of allowing the suit, jump jets and weapons systems to all utilize the same consumables stores. Also, the fuel cell is quieter to operate, simpler to repair, and easier to manufacture than the atomic core it replaces.

Notable are the power taps and hard points integrated into the forearm vambraces. Most commonly these are used to mount short-barreled bolt pistols and close combat weapons, although certain other weapons have been integrated into various Hussar pattern armours. Examples of these more specialized types include energy-assisted knives and gauntlets, short-ranged plasma weapons, flame units and 'melta' weapons. Generally the length of the vambrace and the power available to the Promethium fuel cell are the determining factors for weapons system integration, limiting the armour to weapons packages roughly comparable to more common pistol or assault models. To date, all experimentation with heavier squad support weapons have failed.

Despite visual cues identifying the Hussar armour as a derivative of the Imperator, it has virtually no commonality with earlier or later Mks. V-VIII armour. Only the gauntlets, lower torso armour, and helmets are interchangeable with existing Astartes systems, rendering the support of a mixed armour force in the field problematic at best. This is in part the reason that the armour was not adopted by any Astartes Chapter until 738.M41, and then only a handful adopted it. To date, Hussar armour remains an incredibly rare sight on any battlefield, and in general not well liked by end users.

By all means, steal the armour design. I like the idea of Hussar Armour sprouting up all over.

I'll get better some pics of the one finished model and post 'em, probably this weekend. Heck, if I get lucky and free from work, I may have the another one finished by then.

Titan136 - Not wrestling inspired, comics inspired. Which is funny, since I never really read comics as a kid. Go figure.

But I always wondered; you're a jump trooper, massing over 600 lbs. at least when you factor in genegeneered marine, power armour, and jump pack. Why would you need a close combat weapon. Wouldn't you just blast into the air and come down on your enemies like some fever dream from Wile E. Coyote? Being an old-timey Battletech player probably had something to do with it. Also, rocket-assisted flying-tackles seemed fit with the Tony Stark aesthetic. And lastly, it seemed a pretty good way to solve that whole 'how do I make my assault marines look like they're flying' question.

I'll start working up a Hussar Armour How-to for Frost Knight and Blargag if you want.

Okay, here's a HOW-TO for the Hussar variant helmet, as done via Photoshop. Please note, I'm using a pic of the head of one of Tsuro's gorgeous truescale marines to show the side profile, and LupoLoopy's front headshot from the pinned space marine conversion bits thread. That'll have to do until I can get home and reshoot some pictures of my nascent Angels of Iron.

And now, an abbreviated tutorial:

gallery_31385_1983_20646.jpg

1. The first step is to carve off the cheek pieces (pipes, posts, whathaveyou.) The important thing to remember is to save the ridge where the helmet meets the mask, and continue it down to the bottom edge of the head. The less important thing to remember is to try to maintain the general shape of the mask.

2. Lop the ears off. Keep your fingers intact, keep the ears intact. In that order.

3. Shave the helmet's 'wings' down. There's a horizontal reinforcement ridge or crest running around the back of the helmet. The top crest T-intersects into it at the base of the skull. Shave the 'wings' down until they look like they're just continuations of the helmet reinforcement.

4. Glue the ears back on.

5. Shave the muzzle and grill off of the Mk.7 mask. This isn't my favorite 'shop job, but it should guide you on the right path.

[clearfloat][/clearfloat]

gallery_31385_1983_23369.jpg

Voila! Instant(ish) Mk.VII-Jove helmet.

• 2 years later...

Archived