Dreadclaw Q's

Spreader

I was glancing at the drop pod/dreadclaw rules in the FW:Apoc book and I'm a little shocked.

It says that the "Drop Pod Landing" rule allows the drop pod's unit to deploy from an open topped vehicle.

Now in the dreadclaw page it says that it uses the "Drop Pod Landing" rules.

Does this mean that the unit in the dreadclaw can assault out of it?

On a side note, comparing these two unit entries makes me want to hit FW people over the head as hard as I want to hit GW people for their slack attitude in preparing the rules.

Drop pods are open topped when landed in IA apocalypse (droppods are in there) and have their own rules for drop pod landing (they fly for one turn so can be shot down before they land) and from memory the IA Apocalypse dreadclaw says nothing about being open topped, but makes sense that it isn't as the doors don't fall down on a dreadclaw.

If anyone wants to tell me i'm wrong that would be great

I changed my mind... The entry in IA:A says nothing about using the "Drop Pod Landing" It tells us to use the "Drop Pods" rules, but which ones? The ones in C:SM. According to those rules you can't assault after coming in with a drop pod. Or the ones in Imperial Armour Vol 2. Which would allow you to assault as you count as leaving a stationary open topped vehicle, but also be shot at on the way down so your unit could be destroyed before it even gets the chance to deploy. The entry is not very well worded.

edited because I pulled my head outa my fourth point of contact and looked in the other FW books...

Sadly these are the same arguments my friend and I are having! I hope we can find a result. I would LOVE to buy a couple dreadclawish looking pieces, and someday, maybe a real one!

Just remember that with a Dreadclaw, you can re-use it, unlike a SM Drop Pod. In other words, you disembark, destroy your designated target, then hop back in and repeat if you'd like. You're not paying the extra points for nothing ;). I would think it would use the Orbital Landing rules, personally...

• 1 year later...
Just a thought, but the way that GW has double the capacity on the SM drop pod from IA to codex, could it happen on the dread claw. 20 CSM, a full squad popping out-yes please. Nah it ain't gonna happen more likely we will get the drop pods in a future codex if we ever get it with some new bits sculpted on it.

The BRB specifically states that units arriving via deepstrike cannot assault.

Drop Pods deepstrike. Being open-topped is irrelevant. The deepstrike rule comes first.

Exception: the Dreadnought Drop Pod (Lucious Pattern) from the Imperial Armor 2 online update on the Forge World website specifically states that Dreadnoughts that arrive in a Dreadnought Drop Pod (Lucious Pattern) may assault on the turn that they deepstrike.

The Dread Claw specifically says that it counts as open topped, thus allowing the contents inside. be it Marines or Dreadnought, can, in fact, assault when deep striking. And for that matter, Lesser Daemons can assault off of an Icon when they deep strike. So... the BRB is wrong, or you read it wrong.

The Dread Claw specifically says that it counts as open topped, thus allowing the contents inside. be it Marines or Dreadnought, can, in fact, assault when deep striking. And for that matter, Lesser Daemons can assault off of an Icon when they deep strike. So... the BRB is wrong, or you read it wrong.

You cant assault out of Deepstrike... so if your transport deepstruck, the contents couldnt assault.

Open topped vehicles allow troops to assault after disembarking from it (eaven if it moved). Then again, Deepstrike rules state that models cannot assault after arriving via deepstrike unless otherwise specified. Soo... how can we be sure whitch rule we should follow?

It would be cool if units could assault after disembarking from drop pods or dred claws.

the more general one. open top transports are part of all transports . no assaulting after deep strike is as general as it gets.

Yes. Without a specific exception (such as Lesser Demons or Vanguard Veterans in Codex Marines) the restriction for deep striking overrides any ability to assault.

For an example of a drop pod that allows assault look at the Dreadnought drop pod in Imperial Armor 2 update.

Ok looking at IA #7 I'll try to clear this up.

Hmmm confusion.

Ok first under the deploying the dreadclaw rules it says to deploy using the drop pod rules.

Right under that is has a special rule called 'dreadclaw'. In this special rule it says enters as an aircraft. Then on the next turn it moves a min of 36" and lands. Then the guys getting out count as getting out of a moving open topped vehicle.

Ok in IA: 6 under deploying the dreadclaw the dreadclaw uses the 'drop pod landing rules'. And then it lists the drop pod landing rules right under it, and they say the same thing I said above... comes in as a flyer, moves 36", lands. And in both it is listed as a flyer... not an immobile stump on the ground like a drop pod. No where in its rules does it use the word deepstrike.

And I don't know if SM drop pods deviate d6 or 2d6 but dreadclaws after flying in only deviate d6.

I think in IA 7 they ment to say the dreadclaw uses the drop pod landing rules like in IA6. Why else would they say use the drop pod rules and then list dreadclaw specific rules right after. I'm going with the dreadclaw using the rules called 'dreadclaw' which describe it as a flyer.

No DSing... nothing to stop me from assaulting out of it :D . I finaly have a use for my dreadnoughts, they can go as crazy as they want on your side of the field ;) .

Ok even more weirdness... in IA6 it counts as a moving vehicle, in 7 it counts as an open topped vehicle. This confuses me almost as much as plauge ogyrns only being 5pts more tha bezerker ogyrns but have +1T, not killing themselves, and wounding on a 2+ ;) . Does Forgeworld have proof readers?

Archived