Emperor's Consuls (DIY marines)

GumbaFish

Hey all a while ago I had proclaimed I had found a perfect scheme for me and well I lied! The first mini I painted I was very pleased with but when I set about the business of painting a squad I ran into some troubles. The main color was red and as it happens I somehow forgot in my excitement that I am colorblind and red is one of my trouble colors a lot of times. I had all sorts of problems telling if my color was consistent from mini to mini and how to work up my highlights so I decided to scratch that idea and take the lessons I learned and apply them to something else.

I carried with me the same chapter symbol which is the one shared by the white/black consuls and decided to go from there. After having tried almost every color out there I thought back on ones I liked and didnt like and grey was one I had always enjoyed but my previous attempts couldnt coordinate just right. After browsing around I was very inspired by Grey_Death's marines and decided that the white trim was exactly what the doctor ordered. Though I didnt try to copy his scheme at all it is basically very similar except mine is darker and grittier but I thought I'd give credit where credit is due since that is where I got the inspiration.

Anyways enough rambling the bases and decals are still a bit shiny as I havent given them a coat of dullcote yet. I tried to weather the decals by adding in nicks where it shows the base color grey but I am not so sure if I will do that in the future as it kind of makes the chapter logo harder to distinguish in my opinion. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated, I thought the chapter badges ought to be weathered with the rest of the marine so maybe I will try just adding in fewer nicks and if that doesnt work I will just leave them completely clean and not bother myself with why that portion of their armor remains neat ^_^

Here are the first 5 marines

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/tac_squad.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/tac_squad2.png

Closer up example

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/beakie2.png

Sergeant

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/srg.png

I wanted to keep them somewhat codex looking though instead of a red helmet on the sergeant I used yellow and obviously white shoulder trim isnt only reserved for the first company. I plan on making terminators, vet squads etc having white helmets and either white or yellow trim (though I dont want them looking like red scorpions too much). I have some scouts that are nearing completion as well and I will try and keep this updated with progress. Any comments, suggestions or inquiries are welcomed.

well they are really cool lol to be honest they look very similar to my chapter lol apart from the orange i replace with desert yellow lol

few questions how do you do the chips in the paint obv its with a knife but how do you paint the chips?? because they look really good

keep up the good work

jim

Lovely looking models, nice battle damage feel to them as well. I like the colour scheme though i am unsure of the orange for the helmet, but it does look good. :)

I read the topic's title as "Emperor's Coconut" :o -_-

Well, let me say: This is great stuff.

I like the grey together with the yellow. Overall a very clean paintjob and the weathering is just right. :P

I'd say keep the nicks. I like them. :D

Thanks for the replies guys. Weird it must be the photo I took maybe because the helmet is yellow but it seems some see it as yellow and some see it as orange. I'll admit its rather a paler yellow as I used Iyanden darksun as the base color for it.

The Jimster- Hey I actually dont chip the models at all, its all done with paint and its my first time trying this sort of thing and I am glad it seemed to have the desired effect. Without knowing exact colors you are using I can give you general guidelines of how I did them. You can mix some of your base color with black (pure black looks wierd) or just use a suitably darker shade of whatever color your marines armor is to add the chips. Then you paint a thin line of something close to your final highlight shade on the edge of part of the chip to give it a kind of 3d effect. I actually used a mix a little lighter then my final highlight shade since the lines are soo thin they appear a little darker then if they were applied over a greater area. There are loads of examples on coolminiornot which do something like this in a much more convinving way then I do if you wanted some more examples.

Gorgeous minis.

Interesting colour scheme, and the way you paint battle damages seems simple (which is obviously not for an average painter) but is really effective.

I couldnt figure out how to weather the eagles so I just left them clean :) Any suggestions?

Why not giving them a (thinner ?) wash of this brown you've already used on the other armour parts ?

Quick question: are your bases made with cork ? they look good...

Thanks for sharing, and please update ASAP !!! ;)

:FA: Thedef' :FA:

The Defiler- Thanks, the bases are actually from Back2Base-IX . I had never tried resin bases and I really wanted to give them a go. They have good prices and despite coming all the way from Australia arrived pretty quickly. If you decide to try them one thing I noticed is my regular primer didnt adhere too well and after doing some reading I heard car primer bonds well to resin so I bought some of that and will try it on the next batch.

Somebody wanted to know the recipe for my grey and figured I would just post it here (as I know I personally always like reading others recipes). This involves several different companies of paint so I might not be sure how exactly to match them up if you only use one brand. Color match might help if you wanted to figure out similar colors.

* RMS = Reaper Masters Series line of paints

-I undercoated them with grey mainly because I ran out of black but in experiments noticed that once the model is done it didnt really matter much which one you use.

-Basecoat of Citadel Foundation adeptus battlegrey

-1:2:1 mix of Citadel foundation Charadon Granite : Water : Vallejo glaze medium applied into the recesses to start creating some shading/grittiness

-Citadel Chestnut wash into the recesses but a little narrower then the previous step.

-Citadel Brown ink into all of the recesses even narrower then the chestnut in a thin line and 'blacklining' all of the little armor details and vents etc.

-First highlight is RMS Dark Elf Highlight (this is very close to codex grey but not quite)

-Second highlight Citadel Codex Grey

-Final highlight 2:1 mix of RMS Stone Grey : RMS Weathered Stone

Chips

-The chip itself is 1:1 mix of black : RMS Stone Grey

-Then Highlight the edge of the larger chips is 1:1 mix of RMS Stone Grey : RMS Weathered Stone

-I did the chipping by cutting a small sliver of blister foam and dipping it in the mix and wipped off any excess then dabbed it on to appropriate places. I then went back with a brush to add some chips as I saw fit and to make some of the smaller flecks into larger chips here and there. Its kind of hard to explain I guess but I liked the random nature of the foam as I always found chips I did too regular in their placement.

I hope that helps. I'll say that when I first laid down the base coat of adeptus battlegrey I wasn't convinced it was going to turn out how I wanted it but as the shading and weathering started to build it looked better. Then once the white trim and eagles got done the contrast made the grey of the armor appear darker which made me happy.

These are marines like marines should be! A simple, effective scheme, which has none of this 'look-at-this-quarted-red/orange-color scheme-with-green-details-that-I'm-modelling-for-Prada-this-fall' look. The dirt and paint chipping is very well done.

Excellent work.

Those are some very nice looking marines. I never thought that grey marines would look good or would appear drab, but you've convinced me that with the right colours they can really stand out. I really like the battle worn look - it's not overdone and your guide makes it look really easy to apply. I might give it a go myself!

Thanks a lot guys!

icallitsoda - The helmet was pretty simple.

-Base coat foundation Iyanden Darksun

-1:5 mix of bestial brown : water for the first shading

-then 'blacklined' with chestnut wash

-First highlight is bubonic brown

-Then I think I just added a little bit of something like bleached bone to the bubonic brown for the second and third highlights. On my notepad I wrote down I added Ivory but I have two different Ivory colors which are pretty different so I will have to experiment to remember which it was!

-1:5 mix of golden yellow : water mix was then applied over the whole helmet to tie things together and make it a little more yellow though its effects were pretty subtle probably but I did it for good measure anyways.

Its not a super vibrant yellow at all but I was looking for a paleish muted one and I think thats what I got.

• 1 month later...

Well I can't believe its been so long since I started this but it feels like one thing after another has stopped me from painting. Between looking for a new car, looking at potentially going back to grad school and meeting with professors and the rainiest muggiest stretch of weather I can remember its been slow work. I had to wait quite some time just to get some more mini's undercoated but finally I found a nice day and got some ready for paint.

Here are two more marines almost done. They still need decals, a bit of ardcoat on the lenses and a little static grass to liven up the base but they are essentially done and I might wait untill the next marines are painted to do all of those stages in one swoop.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/twonewmarines.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/marineback.png

And here is a WIP of a rhino, its just primed with some not so fancy additions of extra armour but I had to include a techmarine just for the opportunity to paint something other than gray if nothing else.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/rhinowip.png

I did start a little bit on some scouts to add some variety to what I am painting but I think I will just work my way through and finish up this squad, its been oh so long since I completed a full squad and I think that would be more satisfying then I can move onto some scouts. Also I have had a rough go of primer bonding to the resin bases. I did try using duplicolor sandable auto primer but it wasnt much of an improvement. I think I may not have gotten all of the release agent off so I sent them for a soak in simple green and I will see how that works. But I was wondering if any of you had tips to increase the primer bonding to the resin, maybe a light sanding with modelling sandpaper to rough up the surface and give it some more tooth?

I'm not too sure about it but isn't the dude sticking out of the rhino a tech adept not a techmarine? Awesome minis tho I love your use of browns in the crevasses gives them a real weathered look.

Definitely looking forward to see some more of these guys :D

Archived