Emperor's Consuls (DIY marines)

GumbaFish

looks pretty good - my only crits would be that the metal is very shiny and there isn't enough battle damage. obviously this is my opinion and i mean no disprespect - im just used to dirtied, weathered marines and the metal doesn't really complement the battle damage. that said everything else is spot on, i think you're a near pro with your photography - something i really envy and kudos to you for motivating yourself. i know i find it very difficult.

Deff

• 1 month later...

I have a question for you all. After not having touched a paintbrush in a long time I am starting work on my captain. I have been putting him off for a long time because I can't decide how I would like to do his cloak. Here he is before being primed.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/wipcaptain.png

My thoughts so far are

-red

-yellow

-white

-cream

-the color of fatigues I used on my scout

Although I use yellow on srg helmets I think it might be a bit much on his cloak, and again white or cream might be too bright as well. I am really leaning towards red but was curious what people thought before I go ahead and get too far on it. I also just though of using the same color of the fatigues I used on the scout, its more subdued than a full on cream but might look nice on a cloak.

Ok well I started throwing some paint on him today and it was nice painting again. I still have some work to do on the armor and some spots I want to go back and smoothe out a bit but so far I am pretty happy with how it is turning out. Here is a quick wip shot, he fell over before I could take more and thought I wouldn't press my luck and have him break!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/captain_wip.png

• 1 month later...

I return! Well I finally picked up an airbrush so I have the rest of the space marines I own basecoated. I absolutely hate basecoating these guys so thank goodness that is done. All I have left to paint now are 4 assault marines, my captain, 4 scouts, 3 terminators, and a magnetized predator/rhino. Then I guess I get to spend some more money and buy more models :) I also have a large pile of bits that might materialize into sternguard, I am not sure how good they are but don't think I can resist doing some conversions and making some battle hardened veterans.

Here is a finished member of my assault squad, minus static grass which will happen after matte varnishing. I'm not sure what is up next, either another assualt marine or perhaps the sergeant from my terminator squad.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/assault1.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/assault2.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/assault3.png

Your work is fantastic, I don't understand why more people don't comment on it. The assault marine looks just as good as the rest of your force. I would recommend some discoloration on the ends of the jump pack exhaust but otherwise I wouldn't change anything. As for the commander's cloak I am at a loss as to which color to paint it. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of color theory could help here. Keep up the fantastic work.

Thanks mikhail I am glad you like them. I agree some discoloration is a good suggestion. I recently got some water mixable oil paints that I want to try for weathering and think I might use those to add a little extra exhaust burn to the jump pack, I just need to experiment with them on something I don't care about first.

Thought I would throw this up. Nothing too fancy, just a wip conversion for a librarian from left over bits. I am not quite sure what to do with his other arm though, any suggestions?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/librarianconversion.png

Librarian looks very good so far, maybe an outstretched arm with bolt pistol or open hand like the Terminator librarian model? would need to turn his head to look along the arm to make it look natural. Also maybe tilt the wrist of the force staff so its not pointing straight upwards, could make him look less static and more dynamic? depends on what you are aiming for I guess :P

I like the battle damage on you marines, not too overdone like some examples I have seen:)

Keep up the nice work!

James

i recommend a bit more shading on the plasmas and things with the blue light, it will help bring out the glow more, as well as around the eyes on the terminator

the second thing is the metallics, they need much higher contrast as right now they look unfinished compared to the rest of the models, with a metal that bright you need a pure black to create the shine..badab black is fantastic and quick for this

otherwise, they are looking fantastic!! :)

Alex

Thanks for the suggestions Starks. I do shade down my metallics but then I think I get a bit overzealous and over work them when highlighting back up and they get too bright so I think I will go back and address that. I'll have to play around with the plasma stuff as well too, I paint it so infrequently that I don't get much chance to muck around with it to get something I am happy with.

I think I have gotten it in my mind that I want to paint a TDA chaplain for the golden bolter despite its looming deadline and the fact I don't currently own that model, so that might be the next update depending how ambitious I get!

I really like the rust effect. It is quite lacking in comments, but it's probably because there are so many other threads being regularly updated. Hopefully, these few comments may bring some more :P

I have to confess, I've never seen someone paint an Emperor's Consul Marine: what drew you to them? The scarcity of people who play them, or their paintjob? You did their grey well, and your highlights are fantastic. It is so detailed that I can make out the little sparks in the eyes ;).

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Capt Lysander, well actually there is a reason you probably haven't ever seen another person paint them and that is because I made them up :mellow: I rather liked the chapter image shared by the white and black consuls and knew that I wanted to use that. Then I came upon Grey Death's army which is a lovely grey army and that inspired me to adopt that scheme to create my own chapter. I have found making my own chapter rather rewarding, while I don't write background for them I still like to add in little details that reinforce their chapter imagery.

Thanks Capt Lysander, well actually there is a reason you probably haven't ever seen another person paint them and that is because I made them up :D I rather liked the chapter image shared by the white and black consuls and knew that I wanted to use that. Then I came upon Grey Death's army which is a lovely grey army and that inspired me to adopt that scheme to create my own chapter. I have found making my own chapter rather rewarding, while I don't write background for them I still like to add in little details that reinforce their chapter imagery.

Ah, sorry for my stupidity :tu:. Must've been mixing them up with the Black Consuls. As said before: lovely job on the grey.

• 4 months later...

So I haven't painted anything new, but I am starting a bit of a facelift project for my currently painted marines. I decided to weather up the white a bit using some water soluble oils, and reinforce some of the shadows and highlights. I also plan to completely redo all of the metallics and the black on the bolters but haven't made it that far yet. Here is a first test of making the white a bit more dirty to be more cohesive with the rest of the armor. The effect is a little subtle unless you have a side by side, but it is a little more dirty and streaky than before. I should be making my way through some more miniatures in the next few days. Untill then let me know what you think.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/oils.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/gumbafish/random/oils2.png

I feel like a total jerk for criticizing but try the under armor black on a test model and see if you like it I think you'll find it adds a nice level of detail. Speeaking of detail I love the eye in the eagle emblem.

Archived