Soda's Imperial Fists

--- SCROLL DOWN TO SEE PROGRESS ---

So, I figured I'd thow up a little thread showing my IFs project - so far just a little test mini. Here he is, nearly finished:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/maxh/IMG_0420.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/maxh/IMG_0421.jpg

:wacko:

I apologize for the subpar photos - these are the first I've ever taken of a mini. That's another place you'll probably see progress in this thread. The room I'm taking pictures in appears to have a yellowish light that kind of throws off the yellow armor. It might also be the "soft white" bulbs I'm using. You can see my photo method above. About the mini - any/all feedback more than welcome! Also, I haven't chosen what to do with the base. I was thinking dark grey with med. grey drybrush?

Very nice. Also to help with the yellow tint of your photos (my marines are orange so I have the same problem) if you have photoshop in the "image" drop down under "adjustments" select "Auto Levels" and this should help brighten the picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/deathcarrot/IMG_0420.jpg

If photoshop is not an option a free alternative is GIMP. In GIMP under the "Color" menu select "Levels" and there is an auto button click it and your done.

It looks good to me, but a little pale, which is more than likely due to the lighting. Very clean Imp Fist. I can't wait to see more!!

edit...

Now that deathcarrot adjusted it, a very good looking Fist

Holy crap!

Thanks DeathCarrot that looks WAY better. I don't have photoshop but I'm definitely going to grab GIMP right now. :)

Before and After

GIMP-->Colours-->Levels-->Auto

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/maxh/IMG_0421.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/maxh/IF1.jpg

^_^

More on the mini - how do you think I can improve? I'm noticing a mold line I missed on the helmet. I'm also noticing some places where some of those new washes might be cool. What colour basing would best compliment the yellow armour? Maybe another dullcote spray is in order too.

nice mini! you might want to white balance your camera to your lighting set-up, that might help a little bit with the yellow. just make sure you white balance to your background and not your mini!

I'd also suggest a watered down brown shade in the recesses. My first impression (other than the smooth yellow, well done on that) was it lacked a little depth.

Thats what i've done with my Fists so far and i think it works (Link) ;)

Yeah I was windering about the new line of citadel washes. I'll try some of that.

Good Looking models.

Instead of using post photo imaging alone to improve the pics look to see if your camera has a White Balance Feature.

Usually designated W/B in a selector menu. Some can be manually set by taking a picture of something white then you "set" the camera to read that color as white.

Others can be set for the type of lighting you use. Incandescent/daylight/flourescent....etc. Read up on the instructions then give it a try.

Managed a little more work on 'em. Snapped a quick photo outside on a piece of paper. The shadows are a bit annoying.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/maxh/IMG_0434.jpg

First model (left): Base coat of Iyanden Darksun - about 3 layers that were thinned a bit with water.

Second model (middle): Step two is several coats of Golden Yellow, thinned with some water. Care is taken to leave the Darksun base showing in the recesses. The next step is Sunburst Yellow highlights.

Third model (right): This is the original test mini seen in the OP... you will notice that I've chosen a grey/city style basing.

In fact you can see I've done some basework on the other two as well. I'm going for a semi sand, semi industrial/city tile kind of thing.

EDIT: If you look in the latest pics, you might notice that I've carefully used Gryphonne Sepia Wash after all the other steps to add depth.

Thanks Mau. I might try some darker wash in the recesses to add some more definition. Would you believe that model on the right has two light coats of dullcote on it, and is still a bit shiny (I do gloss, decals, gloss, dullcote, dullcote)? The real tricky parts of painting yellow this way are those first two stages, because doing the several coats it takes requires a bit of patience. Once you get to the stage that middle model in, the rest is a breeze by comparison.

I got no shine at all on mines. Vallejo paints and inks are very good on that point.

I need to include some things on my wish list like Microsol or Solvaset for the decals and a good coat for the last touch.

This weekend we will have the first official GW event here in Brazil, and they will start to sell products in here... as far as I could saw the prices will be ubber high but maybe the paints can be affordable... anyway I hope to have some more minis to show soon =)

'Till now I still have a One Man Army =)

So I got my hands on some of the new citadel washes... and I must say I am very impressed with the results I'm getting by using the Sepia wash to add depth to my IFs by adding some to shade the recesses. ;)

I was always a fan of using glaze medium and thats probably why I'm not painting another model without using these new washes.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh I don't mind these at all. Lovely matt finish, lovely colour.

But now you have my problem - speed.

Do keep updating. Well painted Imperial Fists are my favourite thing.

AlexCrute - Thanks... I've already started on the next two, hooray 5 man combat squad soon!

wiplash - It must be lonely living as a space marine :D --- then you hear the whispers of Chaos

I dare say my photo-taking-and-posting skills have improved - now I just take them outside in the sun, and slip a white piece of paper behind.

I agree, they look brilliant! I think a little more work on the eyes would be good, maybe a bit of shading on the lens, and a gleam of light off the back?

EDIT: n/m. It's a bit unclear on the two marines on the left but the far right marine's eyes look awesome. Nicely done! ^_^

They look fantastic! The way you used the wash adds a great subtle depth to the should pads in particular.

Some suggestion for the bases to add some more interest:

- Paint patches of Scorched or Catachan or use patches of colored washes on the base to break up the grey color.

- Paint something on a few of the bases that 'pops', like bright orange rust or enemy armor in a contrasting color.

- Blackbone

Archived