LunchBox's WIP's

LunchBox

• 3 months later...

Alrighty then...been working on this squad off and on for a while...so here are 4 of the 5 helmetless Vanguards. These are all finished with the exception of a few tweaks here and there...and a converted helmetless Apothecary (which is just for show...would legally only be another Vanguard) was planned for this as well. However, as not to raise any eyebrows, and draw fire from others, I will refrain from finishing the 5 man squad with a "counts-as" mini. Instead, I'll finish up the 5th VG from the box set.

Enjoy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/helmetlessvg-1.jpg

PS: these were quick pics with crappy lighting, and no adjustments on my camera that can't hold a charge for more than 18 seconds...that explains the differences between top and bottom, not to mention the light-halo that is gracing the bottom pic. I'll get some good pics for the GB's.

I for one would love to see the apothecary. I was recently debating how to make an apothecary more characterful. I was thinking about attaching the narthecium to a powerfist??

Absolutely love the models. I've looked at your tutorials on painting but not sure how adaptable they'd be to Black Templars. I can see myself needed lots of washes to get a reasonable black depth.

I for one would love to see the apothecary. I was recently debating how to make an apothecary more characterful. I was thinking about attaching the narthecium to a powerfist??

Absolutely love the models. I've looked at your tutorials on painting but not sure how adaptable they'd be to Black Templars. I can see myself needed lots of washes to get a reasonable black depth.

painting is painting, there is no difference between painting blue, red, black, green silver, burgundy or pink...its all the same

for black you just change the order of it....instead of mostly shading down you mostly work up...thats the only difference

lookin good lunchie, not much else to say :D

Alex

painting is painting, there is no difference between painting blue, red, black, green silver, burgundy or pink...its all the same

for black you just change the order of it....instead of mostly shading down you mostly work up...thats the only difference

lookin good lunchie, not much else to say :D

Alex

Thanks...but for me, I generally do "black" starting from a white basecoat, and working down...then touch up the highlights, and done.

Thanks very much guys, you're certainly two of the best IMO and completely appreciate your advice. I'm going to have a bit of an attempt at Starks' salting technique for my bike and LunhBox's shading down for the rider. It may look a little mis-matched when coming together but I'm looking to try new things, and I'll see which I feel more comfortable with.

So lunchbox, you'd start at white, then black the majority of the model and then work in greys (blues or whatever) for highlights, or black the majority of the model, but leaving the areas of light with fewer coats therefore being more see-through and apperaring grey?? Sorry for sounding/being a bit stupid. I only ask as your tutorial would go with the latter, but what you said makes me think the former???

Still would love to see that apoth.

Thanks guys.

Hey lunch box

Let me start on a high, these minis are awsome. They are at, what i believe, one of the highest standards ive seen in a long while. Your attention to detail in your models never stops amazing me, and i idolize your imense talent and skill with paint and brush. I wish to, in the near future, walk in your shadow as a painter.

But being a painter i know you thrive on the critisism that others give and therefore i would like to offer you my personal oppinion. Currently the marines just seem to disappear within themselves. What i mean by this is that there is very little in the way of pop. Apart from the, albeit stunning gold, nothing much on the models stand out a great deal to draw the eye around the models. The colours are all fairly similar and pretty desaturated. You need some bold contrasting colours in there to catch the eye, to make the observer want to look at this, and then that, and then something else on the model picking out the beauty of the sculpt.

I know you can do it, ive seen it in your previous work, and i know that these are supposed to be quick-ish marines, but they still need something the make them stand out........well something apart from the shear awsomeness of the painting skill.

Now, i know im not a painter of any note, but i hope that this can help you better yourself in someway as not just a painter but as an artist too.

And lets see if you cant win another round of golds and GD 2010!!

Cheers

Cpt x

Thanks very much guys, you're certainly two of the best IMO and completely appreciate your advice. I'm going to have a bit of an attempt at Starks' salting technique for my bike and LunhBox's shading down for the rider. It may look a little mis-matched when coming together but I'm looking to try new things, and I'll see which I feel more comfortable with.

So lunchbox, you'd start at white, then black the majority of the model and then work in greys (blues or whatever) for highlights, or black the majority of the model, but leaving the areas of light with fewer coats therefore being more see-through and apperaring grey?? Sorry for sounding/being a bit stupid. I only ask as your tutorial would go with the latter, but what you said makes me think the former???

Still would love to see that apoth.

Thanks guys.

Actually, I alternate some different colors to achieve "black", without using any actual black...been meaning to do a NBB (non-black-black) tut...maybe I should over the holidays.

Truly amazing models, I mean AMAZING!!!

But I have to ask how do you do the golds they look awesome but I can't figure out what colours you use.

Good! As a personal taste issue, I absolutely LOVE models in which I cannot easily discern the pallette used.

Hey lunch box

Let me start on a high, these minis are awsome. They are at, what i believe, one of the highest standards ive seen in a long while. Your attention to detail in your models never stops amazing me, and i idolize your imense talent and skill with paint and brush. I wish to, in the near future, walk in your shadow as a painter.

But being a painter i know you thrive on the critisism that others give and therefore i would like to offer you my personal oppinion. Currently the marines just seem to disappear within themselves. What i mean by this is that there is very little in the way of pop. Apart from the, albeit stunning gold, nothing much on the models stand out a great deal to draw the eye around the models. The colours are all fairly similar and pretty desaturated. You need some bold contrasting colours in there to catch the eye, to make the observer want to look at this, and then that, and then something else on the model picking out the beauty of the sculpt.

I know you can do it, ive seen it in your previous work, and i know that these are supposed to be quick-ish marines, but they still need something the make them stand out........well something apart from the shear awsomeness of the painting skill.

Now, i know im not a painter of any note, but i hope that this can help you better yourself in someway as not just a painter but as an artist too.

And lets see if you cant win another round of golds and GD 2010!!

Cheers

Cpt x

Thanks...these models are actually a blending of my old desaturated style, with a new "poppier" flavor. In person, they are quite a bit louder...like I said, these pics were horrid, and just done to offer a teaser pic. Take, for instance, the green laurels...they are actually shaded to a deep brown and purple, and the highlights are near white. I didn't set up the gadgets on my camera, as it's health is declining.

Thanks all!

Hmmmm.... interesting NBB?? I'd very much like to see what you achieve and how it's done (if you're happy to share)!

Thanks...I will share in good time. If you take a trip back through this thread, you'll see some "black" minis that were painted without the use of any black paint.

Nice work LB.

Looks like 2nd place is what I'll shoot for in the squad category. :lol:

Hot Diggity!

Should the rest of us even consider entering anymore?!

Really incredible work there :)

hahaha...I was thinking about this the other day...you do of course realize, that I have never even PLACED in a B&C painting comp. Too many excellent painters out there. I'm just hoping I get something that places at all!

In all seriousness... am a good painter, but not great. I can compete at the NA Demons...but I'd put money on it that I come home with only experience in 2010...which is really the most valuable award at any real comp. The competition is now bigger than me, if you get what I mean.

The competition is now bigger than me, if you get what I mean.

Bigger than Godzilla? Man I hope not. :)

Lol... Its good to see you Lunchbox. No really, I'd thought you'd stopped(unthinkable, I know). So firstly, allow me to say, great work. "Average" for what I've seen you do before, but great none the less. Sadly I don't have any specific notes on the painting, as you've said the pictures are "horrid". On the other hand I have one thing to note. The Vanguard on the bottom right does no one else think the positioning of his wrist and bolt pistol looks... strange? Idk... I just don't like the way its pointing. Lol... :lol:

Hope to see more from you soon Lunchbox.

The competition is now bigger than me, if you get what I mean.

I made first cut in Baltimore's GD three years ago, but now I couldn't accomplish that if I worked every day to improve my modeling skills since I have fallen so far behind in the European style painting that the judges at GD now love. It used to be NMM, but not anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...here's the Apothecary -

I've smoothed out the white as much as I can stand, but I'm stopping here before I get so disgusted with this model that I quite alltogether. I've put 60-70 lyers on this white, and some nuances to hide grievous errors...at arms length it looks good, but up close its rather choppy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/apothwip-1.jpg

PS: I did adjust my camera, and mess with all the settings, so I have no excuses.

Archived