LunchBox's WIP's

LunchBox

Great work LunchBox - I will some day try and emulate your work as it has a lovely quality to it. My personal favourites are the Salamander and the Thousand Sons.

One question - do you paint the entire armour and then add a wash to the whole area to give it depth or do you do paint one armoured part at a time? I'm just curious how you get such depth from a white undercoat.

Thanks! I paint pieces at a time...I always start with the face, then the center mass, then the legs, then the arms.

HERE is a link to the tutorial mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

Updatage:

More work on the Salamander...the main part of the model is nearly done. I've had to do a lot of work on the arms and weapon, but I should be starting those this weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/salliewip3-1.jpg

Also, more on this guy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/eswip1b-1.jpg

The symbol is an olive colored Crimson Fist logo with lightning bolts. My new chapter will be call the "Emperor's Storm". The Marines therein will be to a display quality, but not competition. The goal is to speed up my use of the wet pallete, and so far it's working pretty well.

I really want to not just do the whole "Woah, awesome!" thing, but it's really hard, Lunchbox, cos your work is really so inspiring.

What I really find amazing is the use of "unlikely" colours to make your shades and highlights work. I really need to try more of this too.

Fantastic work, and (belated) congrats on your performance at GD too :ph34r:

They are very nice!

I like the idea of your new chapter. olive colored fist is nice man~ It comes out pretty good really!

If you are doing an army, I suggest you buy the fist shoulder pad for them. I think it will much faster than freehand in my opinion.

The thing I would properly like the most on the Salamander guy is the flame on his leg pad. it is cool and amazing.

Wait to see your works again :ph34r:

oh, by the way, I really like the dark green color on your marine's bolter. May I ask you for the recipe of it? Thanks a lot!

Anyway, look forward to see your work

Mike.

One question, what colours did you use to shade the blue on the ultras in this thread?

OK...if my memory serves me correctly:

Aurelius - I started with RMS True Blue, then shaded with VMC Flat Blue, then RMS Saphire Blue, then VMC Dark Prussian Blue, then RMS Nightshade Purple. Highlights were RMS Sky Blue, then RPP (Reaper Pro Paint) Pegasus Blue, then GW Space Wolf Gray, and finally RMS Ghost White.

UltraMarine Honor Guard - I started with RMS Ashen Blue, then shaded with RMS Templar Blue, then RMS Breonne Blue, then RMS Walnut Brown. The highlights were RMS Deep Ocean, then RMS True Blue, then RMS Sky Blue, then RPP Pegasus Blue, and finally GW Space Wolf Gray.

oh, by the way, I really like the dark green color on your marine's bolter. May I ask you for the recipe of it? Thanks a lot!

Green Bolter - RPP Ghoul Gray base, then shaded with P3 Thornwood Green...RMS Red Brick for a nuance color, then shaded with RMS Walnut Brown. I built it back up with GW Catachan Green, more RPP Ghoul Gray, then RMS Olive Green, then RMS Pale Green, then finished off with RPP Orc Flesh.

do you edge highlight on your models? some parts look like you do, while i know from your tut that often you simply make it 'look like' you do.

I thinnly edge highlight on sharper areas of reflection, but most of it is due to dragging the highlight colors toward the highlighted edge.

I doubt I'll get to a Demon comp this year...but if I do, it'll be Chicago as usual.

The Sallie is short an arm...I didn't think anyone would notice. Ok...actually, to paint this model, it has to be fitted, pieced out, and the pieces painted separately. I'm working on the right arm this week.

I doubt I'll get to a Demon comp this year...but if I do, it'll be Chicago as usual.

The Sallie is short an arm...I didn't think anyone would notice. Ok...actually, to paint this model, it has to be fitted, pieced out, and the pieces painted separately. I'm working on the right arm this week.

If I run into you again at Chicago, I'll kick you in the shin so you'll know who I am this time! :o

If I run into you again at Chicago, I'll kick you in the shin so you'll know who I am this time! :D

Sorry, Organic...I was half asleep all day anyway.

I finished one, and started 2 more:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics13/img48eabfce8a1bf.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/es2wip1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/es3wip1-1.jpg

wow! your Marines look so life-like and vibrant and you paint with so much precision. one day i would like to paint like that. you are an inspiration sir, i salute you :HQ:

Just seeing how light you start off with the glazing on their armor compared to how dark the finished ones are blows my mind. You have patience in bounds.

I would have liked to see the stuff you did on their shoulder pads, but really smooth work on the armor, I imagine it's even more striking in person.

As usual I am insanely jealous of your work. Even your Chaplain that you speed painted (6 hours shouldn't qualify) would be a master piece for me and I could bring it to my Hobby Shop and have it displayed.

You are possibly one of the greatest painters ever. Any chance for a tutorial of how you paint a guy? Like layer to layer?

Also good job at Golden Daemon. How many trophies have you won now? I saw your stuff on the GW site and I knew immediately who painted it. Nice job.

As usual I am insanely jealous of your work. Even your Chaplain that you speed painted (6 hours shouldn't qualify) would be a master piece for me and I could bring it to my Hobby Shop and have it displayed.

You are possibly one of the greatest painters ever. Any chance for a tutorial of how you paint a guy? Like layer to layer?

Also good job at Golden Daemon. How many trophies have you won now? I saw your stuff on the GW site and I knew immediately who painted it. Nice job.

tuts in the tutorial section

as for daemons? not enough *cracks whip* :P

Archived