LunchBox's WIP's

LunchBox

magnificent painting and those faces just look alive,do you paint them by naked eye or through a mag lens

I use no magnification...it hurts my eyes, and distorts depth perception. For lighting, I use a floor lamp with 2 compact flourescent bulbs over my left shoulder.

Updatage:

Overall, I'm pleased with this mini...although I hate the way the metallics turned out, and I re-worked them a number of times. I hate metallics, and I'm not wasting my time on it with my Marines anymore.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics13/img48f249d302cc4.jpg

I finished the "missing" arm on the Sallie. The blending gods were not smiling upon me, and it took 5 hours to paint the arm and shoulder pad trim. The fading scale pattern actually came out right the first time, and I like the way it looks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/sallieshoulder-1.jpg

The great part about your hate for metallic paints is that you hate them so much that you push the boundaries each and every time you DO give them a go. The work on the shield is magnificent.

The salie is coming along nicely so far. I take he's a one off ebay test bed?

I really like the way the scales turned out on the shoulder pad, they aren't as gaudy as other attempts I have seen. As far as the metallics I am a little surprised you hate them so much, I figured with all of the interesting glazes you do on armour that would translate over into adding some depth and shading for your metallics. Hopefully you only give up on them for a short time, I am sure a perfectionist like you can't be satisfied untill you can get conquer them. But hey what do I know ;)

Keep up the good work

Cheers

I take he's a one off ebay test bed?

*Not exactly...I'm doing the Salamander for a friend.

For the metallic thing...I'm not giving up on them forever, I just don't want to mess with it for my personal army.

I can understand the want to not experiment on your personal marines. I have pretty much stuck to stuff I know works with my marines as well. I use small projects/one offs for all testing of new techniques.

How much do you have painted for your marines these days?

I can understand the want to not experiment on your personal marines. I have pretty much stuck to stuff I know works with my marines as well. I use small projects/one offs for all testing of new techniques.

I sold most of my Patriot Guard a while back, but still have about 1200 points worth, that will be proxied in until I get the Emperor's Stom built up. As for the new chapter, well, the two finished models make for what, about 70 points now? LOOK OUT TOURNAMENTS, HERE I COME!!! (in about 3 years) <_<

I sold most of my Patriot Guard a while back, but still have about 1200 points worth, that will be proxied in until I get the Emperor's Stom built up. As for the new chapter, well, the two finished models make for what, about 70 points now? LOOK OUT TOURNAMENTS, HERE I COME!!! (in about 3 years) ;)

Hahaha, lemme know if you're going to hit any tournies/events around the state. I'll see about clearing some time to head out for it.

It's been a while since I've even been out to Austin to play...

We really need something like a Texas based Gamesday :)...

Well done. I especially like the sallie. The base makes him look even more awe-inspiring. :P

I can see what you mean about the metallics though. If I didn't play the Grey Knights I'd probably hate them too. Never seem to come out right on my "normal" marines. I'm curious about your new chapter Lunchie, what can you tell us of them? Gonna put some of them on the thread? ;)

=]D[=

ImpTemp ---> I'll be doing a NMM tutorial over the Thanksgiving break, and I'll post a link here.

=]D[= ---> Nothing much to tell about the new Chapter...it will be organized similarly to the old one, except I'll actually have a bolter in this one. I'm still focussing on close combat, with just a little more anti-infantry shooting; as in 1 squad of bolters with a HB. I'm still going with the "no lascannon" theme, and few heavy weapons to slow them down...and relatively all infantry. I can say that the Chapter is based on Crimson Fists...or maybe Imperial Fists...I don't really know or care which one I'm allowed to descend from. As far as fluff...I've tried a couple of times to work on fluff, but that's not my bag. I find that of the three aspects of 40K; fluff, gaming, and painting, most people are good at one, some people are good at two, but rarely does anyone excell at all three. I'm a good painter, and a good gamer, so no fluffiness for me.

Wiplash ---> Be glad you can't see the pic...the paint job is horrific! ;)

Lovely work LunchBox, I'm particularly intrigued by the leather colour on the Sallie, I've been looking at leather colours for the squad I'm doing up and I love what you've done with this guy. Can I ask what colours you've used there?

Lovely work LunchBox, I'm particularly intrigued by the leather colour on the Sallie, I've been looking at leather colours for the squad I'm doing up and I love what you've done with this guy. Can I ask what colours you've used there?

No problem...the base color is VMC Saddle Brown. It's a nice taupish brown, with gray, purple, and red hues in it. *It also makes a fantastic preliminary shade for skin tone. I wash that on a few times to get a light basecoat, then I glaze in some RMS Midnight Purple. After that, I glaze in some RMS Walnut Brown...it's a dark purpley-brown, and I recommend everybody own that color for "quick" shading, or even lining if you do that. I also use that color as my NMM gold shade, so I can base coat my Snakebite for the gold trim at the same time, and glaze the entire holster at once. Anyway, after the shades are built, I work back up with Saddle Brown, then highlight with GW Tanned Flesh, then mix a light ochre or yellowish bone into that for the final highlights...GW's Bleached Bone would work great for that. Avoid using another flesh tone for your final highlight, or it will look suspiciously like living skin...might be cool for a Slaanesh army. Avoid grays as well, as they will instantly 'dumbify' all the work you just did, and make it look like a brownish-blue trash bag.

Random mode on: I've found the VMC Saddle Brown, RMS Walnut Brown, and RMS Midnight Purple are some of my "go to" colors, and I'd encourage others to check them out...the 2 RMS colors are particularly great for shades if you use a wet pallette.

after spening the best part of today looking through your log and tut i am gald to say that i will defanetly (spelling) be trying it on my new model

1 question would glazing work on a black under coat to get a really dark tone

YAY i can see the pic now :D

your NMM has really come along well imo its better that it was a year ago by a long way

the base is good, but not great but other than that i cant complain about anything the free hand is neat and well done the shading and lighting look great too

Thanks for the recipe LB, I thought the base colour would be something like saddle-brown (which I'm glad to say I already have thanks to my Flames of War US Paratroopers' boots) but couldn't pick how you'd given it that dark, rich leathery look.

Must go get some Walnut Brown and Midnight Purple too it seems...

i would be interested in the recipe for the rust!

*Looks like I may add that to my list of tutorials this Thanksgiving...hell, I may just have to paint a Marine and take pictures every 3 minutes!

after spening the best part of today looking through your log and tut i am gald to say that i will defanetly (spelling) be trying it on my new model

1 question would glazing work on a black under coat to get a really dark tone

Yes, it will work to a degree, but with the dillution of the paint being so extreme, you will be fighting against yourself the entire way. You may end up taking a long process and turning it into an excruciating process. My advice is to go with a gray primer if you want a dark color. Even when I paint black, I start with a white undercoat...sometimes gray.

Thanks for the recipe LB, I thought the base colour would be something like saddle-brown (which I'm glad to say I already have thanks to my Flames of War US Paratroopers' boots) but couldn't pick how you'd given it that dark, rich leathery look.

Must go get some Walnut Brown and Midnight Purple too it seems...

Before you run out and do that, try mixing a little Scorched Earth with Liche Purple...see what that does for you as far as the Walnut, although you may still have to darken it a bit. For the midnight purple...it's awsome...on a wet pallette it shades almost everything...blues, greens, reds, blacks, grays...I love it. I tried a bunch of other 'leather' looks, but they all seemed to 'dumb down' the mini...I guess you could say I'm a "crutch painter".

Archived