The main model:

gallery_11038_549_224974.jpg

Leg detail:

gallery_11038_549_31534.jpg

The Jump Pack:

gallery_11038_549_370062.jpg

The Night Lord version of the Deathscreamer:

gallery_11038_549_6105.jpg

This is a conversion I've had in mind for quite a few years, but I've only begun to realize it now.

Here's the bits that I've used so far:

1 Loyalist Space Marine Assault Marine Jump Pack

2 Warhammer Undead Grave Guard Wings

1 Chaos Spacemarine Possessed Torso

1 Pair of Khorne Berzerker Running Legs

2 Metal NL Shoulderpads

2 Necron Warrior Heads

6 'fingers' from an OOP Chaos Power Fist

2 pieces of tubing made from a Loyalist Space Marine Rhino door

1 (Recut) Chaos Plasma Gun

1 (Recut) Chaos Space Marine Head

1 Soulgrinder Skull Decoration

8 Neodymium Magnets

16 Small Strips of Plasticard

I have two issues, first is I have no clue as how to do his base. I was thinking 40mm circular and have Koor vaas loom over a part of a ruined building's roof. But after three attempts I've scratched that one. My other bases are basic ash wastes / city ruins. Examples can be found in my gallery.

Second, the deathscreamer has no barrel as such because I envision it shooting bolts out of the eyes and mouth of the skull, should I attempt minor object source lighting (OSL) on just the skull and wings or should I 'paint it' in traditional NL colours?

Help!

If you want him actually firing then you need to reposition the gun, he looks like hes just holding it, in which case dont do the lighting, just put a drill into the eye sockest to make them deeper and more barrel like.

Dammmm Nhim that looks great!

Is the skull on the gun already glued? If not, I'd move it up a bit and use the mouth for the barrel and try the light sourcing. Also have his head turned towards where he is firing. With LOS being very big with 5th ed. you might want to think about how high you want to mount him. The Jump pack chappy has a pretty cool base, mayby something like that?

Ardus.

I think he'd look cooler firing it with one hand though...
I thought of that, it's not often you see a Lord or other HQ using a two-handed gun. But the problem with that is that the Deathscreamer IS a two-handed weapon and WYSIWYG dictates that I model it with him using both hands. :mellow:

AMAZING! I love the raptor legs you made! How long did those take you to make?
Two weeks, I had to go back and redo a lot of stuff.

If you want him actually firing then you need to reposition the gun, he looks like hes just holding it, in which case dont do the lighting, just put a drill into the eye sockest to make them deeper and more barrel like.
Good idea, do you have any suggestions on how to reposition those arms? they're quite stiff as it is and moving the hands too much will create a problem with the gun not fitting.

Dammmm Nhim that looks great!

Is the skull on the gun already glued? If not, I'd move it up a bit and use the mouth for the barrel and try the light sourcing. Also have his head turned towards where he is firing. With LOS being very big with 5th ed. you might want to think about how high you want to mount him. The Jump pack chappy has a pretty cool base, mayby something like that?

Ardus.

Sadly it's already glued. When looking closer, it could be moved 1-2 mm up but I'm afraid to ruin it if I cut it now. There's no problems with turning the head, it's magnetized! :)

Have him low to the ground on the base, check.

But the problem with that is that the Deathscreamer IS a two-handed weapon and WYSIWYG dictates that I model it with him using both hands. :drool:

Arse! Arse I tell ye!

"Requires two hands to use" just means you can't get a second attack if your guy is armed with a pistol aswell. It doesn't dictate that "if your model is armed with a two-handed weapon it must be modeled so that the it wields the weapon in two hands"... ::sigh::

what size plastic card are you using for that awesome trim?
0.3mm and 1mm for the rivets.

But the problem with that is that the Deathscreamer IS a two-handed weapon and WYSIWYG dictates that I model it with him using both hands. :huh:

Arse! Arse I tell ye!

"Requires two hands to use" just means you can't get a second attack if your guy is armed with a pistol aswell. It doesn't dictate that "if your model is armed with a two-handed weapon it must be modeled so that the it wields the weapon in two hands"... ::sigh::

Good point, I might make a one handed version then (the arms are magnetized as well). Do you have any suggestions on what his offhand should look like/be doing? ;)

I thought of that, it's not often you see a Lord or other HQ using a two-handed gun. But the problem with that is that the Deathscreamer IS a two-handed weapon and WYSIWYG dictates that I model it with him using both hands.

Then you could always have his other hand reloading etc.

To represent the two handedness of the gun

I have two issues, first is I have no clue as how to do his base. I was thinking 40mm circular and have Korva loom over a part of a ruined building's roof. But after three attempts I've scratched that one. My other bases are basic ash wastes / city ruins. Examples can be found in my gallery.

An idea for his base- have him leaping over a slumping, preferably dead, loyalist who bears several smoking Deathscreamer holes...

How do do the smoking holes? Simply drill out the impact craters, then glue in a whisp of cotton/fiber. You can leave the whisp a basic white color, or pre-soak the cotton before gluing (let dry, of course) in a light green or blue wash for that other-worldly vapor look...

Looks very promising. I, too, like the legs. They're a cute touch. I think for the base you could do a dead loyalist with the other raptor foot gripping some poor, ripped-out internal organ. As for the off-hand, if you're still taking that approach, a commanding finger position is always impressive. But I think he'd look very impressive, and at the very least different, holding the weapon with two hands.

Oh, by the by. Korva means 'ear' in Finnish. Makes it hard for me to take the guy seriously :tu: Meh, at least I'll die laughing.

Do you have any suggestions on what his offhand should look like/be doing? ^_^

Throwing a Grenade, holding the heart of a slain foe, holding a side-mounted handle on the Deathscreamer (so that he can point it forwards)... etc.

Oh and also I think the Deathscreamer could do with a Bayonet type attachment seeing as it can also be used in CC.

Apologies for the late reply, summer vacation got in the way of the hobby.

I thought of that, it's not often you see a Lord or other HQ using a two-handed gun. But the problem with that is that the Deathscreamer IS a two-handed weapon and WYSIWYG dictates that I model it with him using both hands.

Then you could always have his other hand reloading etc.

To represent the two handedness of the gun

That's a great idea, I might have to do that. Thanks. :D

I have two issues, first is I have no clue as how to do his base. I was thinking 40mm circular and have Korva loom over a part of a ruined building's roof. But after three attempts I've scratched that one. My other bases are basic ash wastes / city ruins. Examples can be found in my gallery.

An idea for his base- have him leaping over a slumping, preferably dead, loyalist who bears several smoking Deathscreamer holes...

How do do the smoking holes? Simply drill out the impact craters, then glue in a whisp of cotton/fiber. You can leave the whisp a basic white color, or pre-soak the cotton before gluing (let dry, of course) in a light green or blue wash for that other-worldly vapor look...

I've thought of placing corpses (or bits thereof) on bases many times but I always end up deciding against it, because it would look silly to have say a Necron corpse on the base if I was fighting Tyranids. ;)

Looks very promising. I, too, like the legs. They're a cute touch. I think for the base you could do a dead loyalist with the other raptor foot gripping some poor, ripped-out internal organ. As for the off-hand, if you're still taking that approach, a commanding finger position is always impressive. But I think he'd look very impressive, and at the very least different, holding the weapon with two hands.

Oh, by the by. Korva means 'ear' in Finnish. Makes it hard for me to take the guy seriously :P Meh, at least I'll die laughing.

Thank you, I can now no longer take my Lord seriously! (just kidding)

A commanding finger pose is also a good alternative to DropKidd_UO's suggestion.

*files that away for future reference*

hey nihm.

could you post the ingredients and method for making those heavenly feet please?

and also how you made the winged skull (deathbat - for anyone who knows what i mean)

thanks

Look for it in my blog. (and please PM me should I forget)

Do you have any suggestions on what his offhand should look like/be doing? ;)

Throwing a Grenade, holding the heart of a slain foe, holding a side-mounted handle on the Deathscreamer (so that he can point it forwards)... etc.

Oh and also I think the Deathscreamer could do with a Bayonet type attachment seeing as it can also be used in CC.

My first attempt at making the 'screamer sported an oversized bayonet attachment on a heavy-bolter base. The second attempt had four claw(or fang?)-like protrusions around the barrel. The spikes you see on top now are my attempt at making it look like it can be used in CC. I guess I failed at that. :P

I'll get back to working on this guy this week. More updates to come.

Have you got one of the old Gothic Ruin sprues? He'd look great perched on a bit of that.

If I can make a suggestion, find a way to make his head lower, so that it looks like he's glowering from behind his gun

and from under his brow.

And consider this my answer for the NL competition thread, too!

edit Like this guy: http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/initiation/images/art-06.jpg

Although it looks like you were going for it anyway!

Hey Nihm, regarding your problems with the bayonet attachment. Why not make a small chainsaw-like bayonet, similar to the ones in Gears of War? It would look great, I even remember you featuring another member's attempt at a chainsaw blade in your blog.

Have you got one of the old Gothic Ruin sprues? He'd look great perched on a bit of that.

If I can make a suggestion, find a way to make his head lower, so that it looks like he's glowering from behind his gun

and from under his brow.

And consider this my answer for the NL competition thread, too!

edit Like this guy: http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/initiation/images/art-06.jpg

Although it looks like you were going for it anyway!

I don't have any gothic ruin sprues and I'm not sure I remember them, were they the ones that came with one of the old starter boxes?

(do you have a link as well?)

As for how he's holding the gun, his head is as low as it can be, the uppermost horns on his chest plate prevents it from going lower. And as for the picture, that was what I was going for! :D

or make them like Throat's Possessed, and do bldes on the lower arms. SM combat blades would look good!
*smacks forehead* I've been completely obsessed with bayonets and blade attachments to the gun itself that I never even considered wrist-blades. I'll go have a look at Throat's models now. Thank you very much.

I don't have any gothic ruin sprues and I'm not sure I remember them, were they the ones that came with one of the old starter boxes?

(do you have a link as well?)

By "Gothic Ruins", I imagine he meant the following:

http://www.thegameshop.ca//v/vspfiles/photos/GW64-04-2.jpg

Can be bought at: The Games Shop

(Edit: Damn... They only ship to Canada and the US. My apologies, Brother <_< )

Nihm,

I did a leaping berzerker and I attached him to base with a chain I modified from the Chaos Vehicle bits sprue instead of ruins for a change.

You can just make it out the jist of the mod in this image although it is a bit blurry. gallery_24127_2519_44117.jpg

Edited original image posted

• 1 month later...

Having just realized that I've forgotten to drop an update on this guy, I better put one up here now.

@Deneris & jipimus (nice idea with the chain, I'll remember that!)

I abandoned the idea of the ruins and went for something else entirely.

The blessing of working more hours (it was necessary ^_^) than I'm allowed to, means that I get time off the next two days. Ample time to throw some paint on this guy.

His base is already done and I'll post a picture of it when I get home, tonight.

Also,

there will be more updates (with pics) over the next days.

Archived