Night Lord Chaos Lord: Monios

is that blood or lava on the base? looks like blood but painted like lava...looks like its really hot. if it is lava id suggest paint the lava along the cracks and on the bottom of the base too
More like eldritch glow from the stones :devil:

I'll try to add more oranges to tie the glow in better.

Picture as promised, I got the torso done today:

(I know, he has a wandering eye ^_^)

gallery_11038_549_26701.jpg

Also,

I'll paint his head tomorrow, pictures will follow.

I know, he has a wandering eye :P

you could claim that is because of daemonic influence :P

Good one, and so I shall! :(

What's the recipe for the blues? I might have to borrow that for my figures.
The blue is:

Chaos Black undercoat -> Necron Abyss -> Regal Blue -> Regal Blue & Enchanted Blue mix (3:1) -> Regal Blue & Enchanted Blue mix (1:3)

Though I prefer the dark blue of your terminators to my own, if I had but known how to do deep and dark blues back when I started this army.. -_-

Back to the painting table now, pictures later today.

The head is done,

I swapped the first for this one as it fit's my fluff theme better. :(

Here's some pictures as promised:

gallery_11038_549_21771.jpg

And a shot with the torso:

gallery_11038_549_36782.jpg

The legs have been basecoated and I'll try and get some work done on them tomorrow but, as it's back to work for me I can't promise anything.

I will however try to keep this thread updated regularly.

This is indeed a brilliant start.

Now, if I may... Got one or two 2 cp advises (that may make some 4cp in a whole, ack !!!).

See the impressive effect of the dark eyes in that face, its a very fine effect because of contrast. I think you should work out your BP contrasts a bit further, maybe not to black, but further. See the horns alongside the neck, they're whitish out of a light blue shoulder... No contrast : no readable effect, no depth. We could say the same from the torso's eyes or your torso's gold that's a bit too plain.

A last little thing about another type of contrast but you've got time for this one. Be careful with reflections (not sure its the good word). I mean that playin with contrasting varnishes helps increasing the "readable" effect of a mini a great deal. some limited shining spots on a mat base beeing for marines the best effect in general to my opinion. Therefore, be careful dulling reflections from recesses (the ones on the BP's brow and under the eyes)... very thin watered foundation line with a fine brush work well, a good use of watered smoke works well too (but the mat effect out of smoke needs little practice to get and few people have blue smoke in their personnal pigment array).

I told u, just 2 cp ina poor english. I'm pretty sure your mini will be a must, frater.

DS

From frater Nurglepuss

Man I wish I could paint like that!!

When there is a will, there is a way. Painting is a matter of work THEN sometimes, some talent. Not the opposite and most important of both is undoubtfully... Work.

Thanks everyone,

great looking model fantastic face, ;) (just not a fan of that chestplate sculpt)
Very true, there are better sculpts in that box but, I wanted one with a face on it. :)

curious , is that one of the heads from the resin world eaters kit from fw , or just the one from the chaos marine sprue
It is a Khorne Berzerker resin head from FW.

This is indeed a brilliant start.

Now, if I may... Got one or two 2 cp advises (that may make some 4cp in a whole, ack !!!).

See the impressive effect of the dark eyes in that face, its a very fine effect because of contrast. I think you should work out your BP contrasts a bit further, maybe not to black, but further. See the horns alongside the neck, they're whitish out of a light blue shoulder... No contrast : no readable effect, no depth. We could say the same from the torso's eyes or your torso's gold that's a bit too plain.

A last little thing about another type of contrast but you've got time for this one. Be careful with reflections (not sure its the good word). I mean that playin with contrasting varnishes helps increasing the "readable" effect of a mini a great deal. some limited shining spots on a mat base beeing for marines the best effect in general to my opinion. Therefore, be careful dulling reflections from recesses (the ones on the BP's brow and under the eyes)... very thin watered foundation line with a fine brush work well, a good use of watered smoke works well too (but the mat effect out of smoke needs little practice to get and few people have blue smoke in their personnal pigment array).

I told u, just 2 cp ina poor english. I'm pretty sure your mini will be a must, frater.

DS

I like your suggestion of pushing the contrasts on the chest, I'll darken the recesses a bit. I wasn't happy about the eyes either so they'll be repainted today as well.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean about dulling reflections from recesses, did I darken it too much, or?

Many thanks for the feedback!

Very nice work again, Nimh.

I think the jump-pack looks a bit plain for a Lord, you might look into the Grave Guard sprue for some nice bat-winged decorations.

I planned on some sort of skull-freehand design across the turbines, with lightning bolts on the side but, I'll have a look at the graveguard sprues. Thanks! :P

• 2 weeks later...

I found nothing usable on the Graveguard sprues, so I think I'll stick to my plan on some sort of freehand on the turbines.

His legs are almost done, I'll take & post a picture tonight.

Archived