Night Lord Chaos Lord: Monios

Ack, could'nt find the topic (lost in Warp ?) to answer...

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean about dulling reflections from recesses, did I darken it too much, or?

I mean that there seems to have some (limited) gloss effect (maybe ink-work) on the whole breastplate and I humbly advised to alternate mat aeras (dark places) and glossy ones (satin more than glossy) to induce another contrast to the dark / bright one.

Hey, legs soon, that's great !!!

DS

Btw, your Gallery is a real impressive sight, how many points can you field (more or less) ?

The head is done,

I swapped the first for this one as it fit's my fluff theme better. ;)

Here's some pictures as promised:

gallery_11038_549_21771.jpg

And a shot with the torso:

gallery_11038_549_36782.jpg

The legs have been basecoated and I'll try and get some work done on them tomorrow but, as it's back to work for me I can't promise anything.

I will however try to keep this thread updated regularly.

That face looks outstanding - definitely one that belongs to a murdering marine. I agree that the golds could be muted slightly - perhaps using the GW washes rather than the inks? I can't wait to see more. :)

@Dark Sensei

That is most likely the work of the devil's invention, aka the flash.

I did try to tone them down a little. What do you think now?

@Pake

Scary! isn't it?

Prtyjedi already pointed that one out to me. :D

@JetfireUK

It might be because I use flash (poor lighting in my home), but it won't hurt to dull it - so I'll try. :D

@Dammeron

Thank you very much!

Pictures as promised:

gallery_11038_549_144523.jpg

gallery_11038_549_23044.jpg

gallery_11038_549_119719.jpg

I had the option of using a decal for the Roman numerals but, I opted to have it look like something he might have painted on himself.

Renegade with little funds and all that jazz.

What do you guys think, lose it or keep it?

is that blood or lava on the base? looks like blood but painted like lava...looks like its really hot. if it is lava id suggest paint the lava along the cracks and on the bottom of the base too
More like eldritch glow from the stones -_-

I'll try to add more oranges to tie the glow in better.

Hey nihm...wandered back to this page, and im glad i did! i wanted to also say the head is pretty awesome...did you gs the festering sores on his head or were they just painted on?

On the topic of your glowing stones...i would say to have the red and oranges radiate concentrically-ish from the stones too look more like theyre glowing...the reds kind of look dried pools of blood now. you should try playing with some object source lighting too...that would really bring the base to the next level.

Oh dat's great, new pictures !

That is most likely the work of the devil's invention, aka the flash.

I did try to tone them down a little. What do you think now?

Yeah, we all hate that devilish flash !

I think I'd go to an even darker blue around the breatplate's visage, especially the "triangular parts" (cheeks ?) upside the mouth and under the eyes. Talking about those eyes, you shown mastery in doing the base, I'd go for burning eyes if I were you (still the armour of course, the marine's face is great).

Working out reflections on talons is a good idea !

About the talon's position, I can't say about the back one for we don't see it well but there is a problem with the front one if you look at the bottom picture. The metal thingy upside the talon is too long and it does not follow the direction of the leg (sorry, I couldn't say it in a better english), there is some angle that seems fragile and unnatural IMHO.

I just finished Lord of the night and its good fun seeing this mini coming out. You're doing great, brother Nihm !!!

DS

I thought of that, it's not often you see a Lord or other HQ using a two-handed gun. But the problem with that is that the Deathscreamer IS a two-handed weapon and WYSIWYG dictates that I model it with him using both hands.

Then you could always have his other hand reloading etc.

To represent the two handedness of the gun

Wysiwyg doesn't mean anything in 5th.... terminators can weild two handed weapons in one hand.... and as such neither does power armor... it loses the attack of a offhand weapon, thats all......

Back on topic.

Looks good Nihm.... I want to see more! How about a blog on how to do the raptor legs and feet?

It's coming together! I agree with some sort of shadow/reflected highlights on the talons. I'd also suggest making the base part of the lower legs (above the talons) in gold/bronze rather than the blue. I'd also drybrush a little orange onto the red on the base to tie it together a little. Keep it up - I'll post my most recent NL in a few days - which might inspire you as much as you inspire me.

Love it! Really good job.

You would make the reflect of the "fire" in the metal feet? I think it could be nice.

I plan on doing just that. :)

On the topic of your glowing stones...i would say to have the red and oranges radiate concentrically-ish from the stones too look more like theyre glowing...the reds kind of look dried pools of blood now. you should try playing with some object source lighting too...that would really bring the base to the next level.
I'll try, it's the first time I'm doing this though. Thanks!

Yeah, we all hate that devilish flash !

I think I'd go to an even darker blue around the breatplate's visage, especially the "triangular parts" (cheeks ?) upside the mouth and under the eyes. Talking about those eyes, you shown mastery in doing the base, I'd go for burning eyes if I were you (still the armour of course, the marine's face is great).

Working out reflections on talons is a good idea !

About the talon's position, I can't say about the back one for we don't see it well but there is a problem with the front one if you look at the bottom picture. The metal thingy upside the talon is too long and it does not follow the direction of the leg (sorry, I couldn't say it in a better english), there is some angle that seems fragile and unnatural IMHO.

I just finished Lord of the night and its good fun seeing this mini coming out. You're doing great, brother Nihm !!!

DS

Burning eyes is a good suggestion, but keep in mind that the face on the breastplate will me obscured most of the time - when I run with my favourite wargear configuration.

About the length of the 'ankle' sections, they were supposed to be unnaturally long akin to bird's legs but not that long, I only saw it after I'd glued them + painted them. Live and learn I guess. ^_^

Oh so this is going to be a raptor? cool B)
A Raptor Lord no less!

Looks good Nihm.... I want to see more! How about a blog on how to do the raptor legs and feet?
I'll try, no promises though - this is and will continue to be an insanely busy year for me.

It's coming together! I agree with some sort of shadow/reflected highlights on the talons. I'd also suggest making the base part of the lower legs (above the talons) in gold/bronze rather than the blue. I'd also drybrush a little orange onto the red on the base to tie it together a little. Keep it up - I'll post my most recent NL in a few days - which might inspire you as much as you inspire me.
Do you mean everything from the knees and down to where the legs/ankles begin?

More orange on the base, check.

I gotta paint a model in little pieces like this once just for fun. Then I can post silly inprogress picks like Joe has a head. Or Joe has a left arm.

Keep on keepin' on.

That's how I paint, and always have painted and yes it's slow but, I'm sorry if that is too slow for you..

However with a varying workday consisting of 8-14 hours, 5 days a week plus being on call Friday -> Monday, 3 rehearsal evenings with the band, time spent with family, friends, my girlfriend etc. I have very little time & energy left for the hobby.

So this is as fast as it goes.

• 1 month later...

A name change and a small update.

I took SCC's advice and dropped the Roman numerals and finished the jump pack, more or less. I also touched up the chest area and worked a bit more on the lighting on the base (not done yet).

gallery_11038_549_22197.jpg

Next up, to paint the Deathscreamer.

Wow he looks really cool,and scary!

That head is one of the resin berzerker heads right?I never really noticed how much detail those heads have untill i saw your model.You've really done a good jobe with the face and brought out all the great details.

One of the most characterful lords i've seen for a while.

He looks big,intimidating and very Night lord!

Good work so far Nihm,always liked your night lords and this guy is right up there with the rest.

Keep it up mate!

I'm glad to see this topic back up! Some nice work on the Raptor Lord. The highlighting on the face of the breastplate is a lot better and ties in well with the colours in the base. There's a nice sense of movement too in this piece.

One thing I did notice was that the belt is left blue - is this intentional or are you going to fill it in later? It would look nice as gold trim.

I can't wait to see more. Oh, by the way here's a shot of the last Nightlord I did...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL270600.jpg

That head is one of the resin berzerker heads right?
Correct, it's from the FW Berzerker upgrade kit. :wub:

The highlighting on the face of the breastplate is a lot better and ties in well with the colours in the base.

One thing I did notice was that the belt is left blue - is this intentional or are you going to fill it in later? It would look nice as gold trim.

I'm so glad you think so because that was the effect I was trying to achieve. About the belt, it is intentional and will stay that way to tie in with my raptors.

Thanks for the feedback. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived