Stugmeister's Artwork

Stugmeister

Okay, I'm going to be straight with my thoughts. At first, I rolled my eyes. Here was another artist straight off the Deviantart presses thinking that using the shading tool and clone brush makes him Salvador Dali. The Khorne picture in particular made me giggle, not for the background (didn't see that at first) but for the fact that he looked like he'd been on the Atkhorne's Diet for the last five millenia and was about to be recruited for the intra-Chaos basketball league. In other words, your typical first-time artist. Then the Battle Barge happened. What in the four hells, man, are you TRYING to offput me!? Compared to the earlier pieces, it's like you went away from your pad for seven years, went on a vision quest to find your art spirit, and came back with the disembodied soul of Bob Ross next to you! This new stuff is great, not just the Barge. The Aurora, the Raider, the fight scene, they're all very good. The proportions are right, they're actually doing something instead of posing like ninnies, and the coloration (or greyscale depending) is just fantastic.

Great improvement, keep it up.

Thanks Solid Zaku!

I must admit, when I started to read your thoughts I was a tad upset! :lol: I'm glad I've improved a lot since then. I definitely do not use the clone brushes and do spend a lot more time in preparation getting proportions and scale correct before getting my head down into the full image.

I'd love to see Bob Ross paint some space marines! ;) Erk. Just found out he died back in 1995. :)

• 1 month later...

Front cover image for Epic:Nemesis!!! :)

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u206/amipcl/Epic%20Nemesis/NewFrontCoverFINAL1280.jpg

This picture has taken me so long to complete! In fact I restarted it once after spending 8hrs on it because I wasn't happy with it. This is over 20 hours easily, not sure.

Trying to get the snow right was a challenge. I tried various tutorials from DA but couldn't get the results I wanted. In the end it was a lot of trial and error - and a lot of swearing!!!

I'm really pleased with how this has turned out. :P

Here's some nice close-ups showing the detail of the pic...

http://fav.me/d3g9j6x

I'm gonna have to echo Solid Zaku here~

Dude...seriously? Don't take this the wrong way, but I have a hard time believing that this latest bit and the very first pics were made by the same person :) You've been holding out on us!

:D

Anyway, excellent job on this. The background effects on snow, fog of war, wolfy blurred out terrain and such is just wicked.

I'm gonna have to echo Solid Zaku here~

Dude...seriously? Don't take this the wrong way, but I have a hard time believing that this latest bit and the very first pics were made by the same person :o You've been holding out on us!

:P

Anyway, excellent job on this. The background effects on snow, fog of war, wolfy blurred out terrain and such is just wicked.

Thanks Firepower! :D

Some of the earlier pics I posted were from quite a while back (2007!); I've been spending a lot of time practicing to get this better quality. Also, the length of time spent on this cover pic really goes to show that the more time you spend on something, the better it can be.

Hey, some awesome stuff here man. That battle barge is ace, so is the rhino/thunderhawk scene. Your newest one is the best yet. Can i ask whats Epic:Nemisis? is it a fan project?

Now for the crit. You're sense of color, light, composition and general epicness is great. You're proportions to so much. You're newest one has a lot of improvement in it, but the aurora marine. When I was scrolling down and I saw it I thought it was awesome, then I saw his legs, to squished. Some of your poses are awkward, such as the marine walking and firing. Again, you're newest seems to have improved a lot on this but there are still a few areas where proportions are off. Can i recommend taking pictures of yourself or friends in the poses you want so then you have a reference to work from? It's what I do for serious pictures and it helps a lot.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Also want to add, I love you're version of the Fang. In fact the whole background on that piece is awesome. Reminds me as John Blanche, except yours actually looks good and finished, where as his never look like more then half finished sketches to me.

Hey, some awesome stuff here man. That battle barge is ace, so is the rhino/thunderhawk scene. Your newest one is the best yet. Can i ask whats Epic:Nemisis? is it a fan project?

Cheers nurgling6688! :P

Epic:Nemesis is a fan-made supplement for Epic:Armageddon featuring Space Wolves and 1KSons armies.

Now for the crit. You're sense of color, light, composition and general epicness is great. You're proportions to so much. You're newest one has a lot of improvement in it, but the aurora marine. When I was scrolling down and I saw it I thought it was awesome, then I saw his legs, to squished. Some of your poses are awkward, such as the marine walking and firing. Again, you're newest seems to have improved a lot on this but there are still a few areas where proportions are off. Can i recommend taking pictures of yourself or friends in the poses you want so then you have a reference to work from? It's what I do for serious pictures and it helps a lot.

Thanks, I always welcome constructive crit. :) Marines for me have always been difficult. Generally speaking I'm fine with human proportions. What throws me off I think is when I add the power armour to the figure - trying to fit the armour to the pose can be a real headache! Lighter armoured characters like IG, Eldar or even Tau I find quite easy.

Also want to add, I love you're version of the Fang. In fact the whole background on that piece is awesome. Reminds me as John Blanche, except yours actually looks good and finished, where as his never look like more then half finished sketches to me.

That's got to be one of the best descriptions of Blanche I've read! :lol: Thanks for the thumbs up and comments sir! B)

Thanks, I always welcome constructive crit. ^_^ Marines for me have always been difficult. Generally speaking I'm fine with human proportions. What throws me off I think is when I add the power armour to the figure - trying to fit the armour to the pose can be a real headache! Lighter armoured characters like IG, Eldar or even Tau I find quite easy.

I know how you feel. I do a lot of Marine doodling when I find the time and inspiration, but some parts of the armor always give me trouble. 90% of the time its those huge awkward shoulders, which you seem to have some trouble with too: the TS sorcerer in the foreground has his right arm and right pauldron moving in almost perpendicular directions, as though the shoulder plate would break his arm at the elbow. A lot of the Sons with their backs to the viewer also have unusually bubble-like shoulders, though most of the SW's look fine.

Part of the problem is just in the design of Power armor itself. Range of motion especially for arms would be incredibly limited with the angles and size of some of those plates. Either that, or the shoulder plates would have to lift far off of the upper arm whenever it rises parallel with the ground (a trick some artists compensate for by just adding lots of smaller armor plates or big technocables under the raised pauldron)

That, and a lot of artistic representations (and the models themselves) do not give a good sense of a body within a suit, but rather a robotic suit with the occasional human head poking out. The best art I can recall seeing as far as scale goes, in my opinion, would be either the DA codex or one particular picture of a Raptor marine seen below.

http://creativetwilight.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/180px-Raptor_Taros.jpg

The point is, I don't think it helps too much to try and be 100% anatomically accurate when drawing a marine, but rather to get as close as possible before taking the necessary physical liberties to avoid inevitable absurdities or awkwardness.

Archived