Imperial fists

odinswolf

Ok I saw the really good tut on yellow and was inspired to try an Imperial fist army (loads of marine sprues from ages ago and all the AOBR models)

this is what I was starting on thursday evening..

gallery_25584_1014_227662.jpg

gallery_25584_1014_233599.jpg

then airbrushed badmoon yellow

gallery_25584_1014_495464.jpg

gallery_25584_1014_494857.jpg

gallery_25584_1014_787620.jpg

this is this mornings wash ( this is were it goes wrong)

gallery_25584_1014_685473.jpg

gallery_25584_1014_310458.jpg

as you can see the sprayed on wash has not worked like a regular brushed on wash. It's like a negative effect and the wash has pooled AWAY from the areas it should have collected in :( - its the same on the marines and termys

this means I will either have to redo the wash by hand or see what it looks like after a heavy wet overbrush with sunburst yellow..

this wont be until wednesday as I am back to work tomorrow

I agree with Sister Carnae, I rather like the effect.

You may consider leaving the wash on, and going back over with an airbrushed layer of Sunburst Yellow. You wouldn't want it to completely cover the models. Just pick one direction (above and from the right), and you could have instant highlights! :(

There were a few spots that would need to be re-shaded by hand, but it didn't look like there were too many.

It will be interesting to see how you proceed with this. Good luck.

ok here's the plan, I am going to fill in the shadowed area that the spray missed with a fine brush then try the sunburst spray (not sure how well this will cover but its a good suggestion)

as for the over all effect I am thinking deep desert patrol/campaign. It's not what I had planned but if it looks ok to you guys then we will see what they look like completed ^_^

it's like C14d says you can't spray a wash. Applying a wash by hand doesn't take very long compared to regular painting, which is the beauty of it. If I were you I'd drybrush with sunburst or golden yellow and apply a thick wash by hand. Even so, the results you got are quite interesting. Good luck with it whatever you decide to do.

I'm also working on a fast (read idle) method of doing yellow astartes - I'm either gonna go Imperial Fists or Angry Marines ;)

I've gone White undercoat, Golden Yellow overcoat and then Gryphone Sepia wash, basically thats it, job done for the yellow.

Maybe a quick touch up with Golden Yellow once the wash is dry - and it needs to be left for a few hours at least to properly dry.

Then it's black detailing and you're finished.

Easy eh?

well. i like the effect on the vehicles the most. Maybe a heavily watered down wash of devlan mud for the recesses would do any good. Like on the photo i would like it as it looks aged or used in a way.

For the yellow i am thinking on for very long now. And as i seem to be masochistic in matter of painting i would go this way even it takes for ever to finish 1500pts this way

*Black primer

*Calthan Brown two layers and recent washing with it watered down fair bit.

*After a real smooth brown is done a really clean layer of 50:50 Vallejo Khaki Grey 880 : Vallejo Game color Orange fire 8 - this will give the yellow a real orange burst. Maybe the khaki could be exchanged by desert yellow...i will try this out.

*Then drybrush 50:50 Vallejo Desert yellow : Vallejo Dark Yellow over the mini not touching the recesses...

*Give the mini a wash with 50:50 watered Greyphone sepia : Devlan mud with some dish washer added. make sure not to leave any wash on the faced areas and mabe give a second drybrush with mentioned Desert/dark yellow to clean it up.

*Drybrush Vallejo Dark yellow on the top of areas to give it a shine in yellow (rest of the unseen areas look right dark unlighted yellow already...

*Give the mini highlights with 50:50 Vallejo Dark Yellow : Vallejo Ivory

*Flat Red makes a good base for these shoulder rims.

*second layer with watered 50:50 Vallejo Flat red : Vallejo Red 947 for more brightness only on the "top" of the rims.

* Highlight with Vallejo Vermilliony 70909

done!

Have fun trying this and don't blame me if it takes you month for one mini...but it will just look this unbelievable thick yellow this way.

Always spend much time on even the easiest of yolors will make it look good.

Fast idle ways will do no good only look flat!

thanks, the photos do look a bit brighter, the models in the box lid look the most like in real life (a sort of dark yellow/orange)

now I am wondering how they would look with more colour and detail painted on.. I might try adding the red trim/chest eagles, black guns and the imperial fist decals. Saying that, I am never happy with ANY model until it's based, so maybe try to finsh one marine and the rhino and see how that looks.

I think it is worth a try, especially if you are going to strip them anyway. Why not take an hour or so and finish up a figure or two.

Adding in some black and a dark red ( say red gore instead of blood red) would make these guys a lot brighter.

You could always apply some very thinned bad moon yellow or sunburst yellow as a highlight call it done, but I would do that last after all the other details are done to see if you think it is bright enough or not.

Personall I think this is quite salvagable from the pictures. I think it just needs a little bit more effort before you call it quits to see if it really is as bad as you think it is.

Hope everything works out on these guys!

I must say thanks to everyone who gave a positive comment! I will give them a whirl and see what happens. I have a vindicator,whirlwind,rhino,razorback, 3 tactical squads,command squad,assault squad and a few odds and ends sitting around that I wasnt sure about doing this colour but now I feel like the time will be worth the effort. cheers!!

I too think that they yellow looks fine.

If it was me I would use a super diluted dark brown / black future wash for the recessed areas; paint the details work on some weathering / hightlights and battle damage. I think they would come out very nice.

What I am picturing here is a very battle worn company.

Maybe I am just lazy, but to strip all those minis and repaint ...yeah ..I wouldn't do it.

Try one or two and see how it goes.

One thing about using future wax to wash or weather, be sure you add a drop of dishsoap to your mix ( I mix up big bottles of future wax and water and then just add it to my shade mix). otherwise, the future wash mix may pool up and look horrid.

The dish soap will break up the waters surface tension and prevents pooling/puddling ring around the tub look. I hate that. Nothig worse than black/brown hard lines out where no one wants them.

Wow, impresive yellow there and quite easy as you describe it!

Very nice work! I envy you in having such a nice IF force!

Very very nice....now to the details....can't wait to see them finished!

I have to say that they look like a very good start.. the color is really nice. I like the idea of the red in there to..can't wait to see wow a test model will look finished.

Don't strip ... wait that came out wrong. :D

Let me just try to recover by saying.. let's see that test mini before you start over.

by the golden Throne and matching magazine rack of the Emperor, keep those Fists! the effect is fantastic :lol:

if you really are bummed about the brightened areas that should be darker, you could always wash them or use them as guidlines for weathering...perhaps use weathering powders on them?

best of luck with them!

<<Damascus>>

gallery_25584_1014_599816.jpg

next (final?) stage complete for sample rhino and marine (note I dont like the base so its getting replaced)

just a few details like the headlights to finish off

also HOW DO YOU GET THE IMPERIAL FIST DECALS TO STICK TO MARINE SHOULDER PADS ARRGGHHH (sorry..)

comments?

I think we have a winner.

Dude, those test minis look really nice. Better than any attempt I ever tried for yellow marines. I think that these have turned out really incredible, especially given that you were going to scrap the whole thing early on.

All in all I think this will be a very nice looking army once it is all done!

GAR

thank you very much :)

on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 7 (good tabletop gaming quality) at 39 my eyesight isnt what it was but I am going to complete the vehicles and paint them like the test rhino.

However I still think I could get a better result with the marines so I have a few spare that I will be trying out different washes to get a smoother finish.

I hope to get the vindicator whirlwind etc assembled soon and will post pics of all the tanks when finished :)

here's what I was mucking about with.

photos not brilliant sorry..

gallery_25584_1014_471912.jpg

from left to right..

1. test marine from before

2. golden yellow with ogryn flesh wash (this is the best match with the test!)

3. badmoon yellow with original yellow ink(x2) flesh wash(x1)& water(x1)mix wash brushed on resulted a bit dark, would need a few coats of 50/50 sunburst and badmoon yellow to brighten up to test marine as i did with test marine

4. badmoon yellow with yellow ink(x2) chestnut ink(x1)& water(x1) wash brushed on resulted in shows badmoon yellow clearly (might actually suit imperial fists more than the darker yellow i got)

5 badmoon yellow with yellow ink(x2) orange ink(x1) & water (x1) wash brushed on.. not a good mix at all, stained the whole thing orange

so here's the way I am going to do the rest of the marines.. option 2! very quick way to get the darker yellow :huh:

Archived