Imperial fists

odinswolf

Wow! for a 'Failure' that certainly looks good finished up!

I've never had issues with Future washes pooling on me, but I brush my washes on (I also only use a drop or two of future, a drop of Ink, and thin down with water). Personally, I'd hit the vehicles with a very thinned-out Vallejo Smokey Ink wash (mix of brown and black, really), just dark enough to seep into the shadows.

Just a note on the future wash thing.

The whole point of the future wash is that the future breaks the surface tension. There is no need to add anything else.

If you are getting "pooling" You either are using to much of the wash or you are not mixing the wash in the right amounts.

Typically 1 part future - 10 parts wash.

I personally think this is a great technique if you are trying to paint an army that looks decent in a fairly quick amount of time. AS is the impression I get here.

*One note**

The future does tend to have a glossy effect once dry. But this normally isn't a problem if you Dullcote the minatures when you are finished.

• 4 weeks later...

You know....since you've basically figured out how to highlight with a spraygun wouldn't you logically be able to spray them with the wash color FIRST and then highlight with the brighter color to get the "right" effect?

Either way, they look good. Especially the Vindicator.

I really like the warm and (seemingly) smooth yellows. Some more shading would make the tanks even better, and if you paint the scratches in a dark brown beore adding metallics, you get better defined scratches.

But still, very nice.

Can you tell us a bit more about how to spray minis, I haven't tried spraygunning myself and since basecoating yellow is not the most fun thing to do I'd be interested in learning more!

Another recipe for yellow doesn't involve a single drop of yellow paint, and there are only 5 stages:

-Sprayprime white

-Coat everything that will be yellow with a 1:1 mix of Fiery Orange and Skull White (should turn out kinda peachy looking)

-Highlight ALL edges with Skull White twice

-Basically dip in Yellow Ink. Dipping literally might be a bad idea, but it goes on EVERYWHERE.

-Details- for IF, then black shoulderpad rims, red aquilas, decals etc...

My brother uses this recipe (His thread's in the Hall of Honour, under the name Alexcrute) And he's gotten a load of compliments. The recipe is originally Court Jester's, but Alex abbreviated it.

On this method: Looks decent, those original models in the first post I was frightened by, but the more recent stuff has turned out really well. Congratulations on making your own recipe :)!

• 4 years later...
I know this is an old thread. I was searching for imperial fists armies in google images and stumbled upon this thread. I have t o say I positively LOVE the color and effect you achieved here. This is NOT a failure! It's the shade of yellow I will use for my fists and your blow by blow documentation will assist me in my efforts to paint my own army. Excellent work!

Archived