Librarian Psychic Powers in 5th ed. 'dex?

Wizz

and use your Librarian to destroy enemy characters.

Thanks for the run down. Other than Quickening not sure I agree that Libbys are good at taking out enemy Characters. Might is a nice power, but then you probably do not get to use your Force Weapon and Captains with Relic Blades are Str six during both players Assault phase and have higher stats (without Quickening) for much less points.

Builds:

190 [HQ] Terminator Epistolary, force weapon, storm shield, with Machine Curse & Might of the Ancients

Fairly sure this is not a good use of points, but I like the idea of a Tank Hunter Libby! Put him in a Land Raider with some Terminators. He jumps out and attacks the tank and they pile into the troops. Four Attacks of 6+2d6 Penertration should take out most Armour, although he propably does not need the Machine Curse for the extra glancing blow...

150 [HQ] Epistolary, bolt pistol, force weapon, with Force Dome & Somthing... Probably Gate or Null Zone

The support Libby travelling with Sternguard or some other Shooty troops and giving them all an Invunerable Save. As a secondrly power Gate makes the unit more mobile and might be able to play without the Epistolary just to Force Dome the troops every round.

175 [HQ] Epistolary, Jump Pack, bolt pistol, force weapon, with Force Dome & Quickening

Joins the Assault Marines and gives them all an Invunerable save as well as having the high inititive for taking out enemy troops/characters.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet.

If you plan on using vortex of doom, take a storm shield. This gives you a save against it if it fails. Also if you take a bike you can use it while mobile.

Librarian, bike, storm shield, vortex of doom, another power of some description.

150 points, nasty, good for smaller games.

Librarian, bike, storm shield, vortex of doom, another power of some description.

Storm Shield requires you to be in Termiator Armour, a Bike requires you not to be in Terminator Armour so can not combine the two...

Also Terminator Armour allows you to move and fire Heavy Weapons so you can use Vortex and move as a Terminator. Although with such short range I would be worried about the scatter.

Storm Shield requires you to be in Termiator Armour, a Bike requires you not to be in Terminator Armour so can not combine the two...

Also Terminator Armour allows you to move and fire Heavy Weapons so you can use Vortex and move as a Terminator. Although with such short range I would be worried about the scatter.

Actually, in the new codex, SS is available to power-armour space marines. Also, bikes get the relentless USR IIRC, so can move and shoot heavy weapons (or the Vortex of Doom).

Phil

Actually, in the new codex, SS is available to power-armour space marines.

I suggest you read page 133 again. There are no options to give Librarians in Power Armour Storm Shields.

Also, bikes get the relentless USR IIRC, so can move and shoot heavy weapons (or the Vortex of Doom).

Yes, I was just saying that Terminator Armour also gives you the ability to fire heavy weapons on the move, so if you want the Storm Shield (which requires Terminator Armour) you do not need the bike. It was obvisouly not clear

I suggest you read page 133 again. There are no options to give Librarians in Power Armour Storm Shields.

So true, my bad!

Also, bikes get the relentless USR IIRC, so can move and shoot heavy weapons (or the Vortex of Doom).

Yes, I was just saying that Terminator Armour also gives you the ability to fire heavy weapons on the move, so if you want the Storm Shield (which requires Terminator Armour) you do not need the bike. It was obvisouly not clear

I see! My bad again!

Phil

I really don't see the CC monster librarian being a really effective option. The 190 point epistolary in terminator armor (with SS) with might and quickening has a mere 3 attacks on the charge. Outside Eldar and Guard most ICs are going to scoff at that and then whump the librarian hard. For 170 points you could instead get a Captain with relic blade, SS, digi-weapons, and artificer armor, who will do better against most enemies in CC.

The Librarian is a support character in my opinion. His job is to make the unit he runs with better at what they do. The previously mentioned librarian with null zone accompanying assault terminators is a good example of this. The Gate librarian who warps sternguard around and out of CC when needed is another good example. There is also the dome librarian who gives the assault unit he is with an invulnerable save so they can reduce casualties. I am also not terribly sold on the Epistolary upgrade. Sure it is nice but most of the time you will only need one power on a given turn and the upgrade is really expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
You can have a Relic blade and a storm shield? :o

Yes and No, The only frawback for relic blades is you cannot have the extra attack for two CCW's.

And to answer you're question about powers

1st turn: Drop pod assault ten sternguard and libby near enemy objective, clear it out with rapid fire+Combi's fit for the situation, Gate of infinity works wonders with a drop pod assault list, just take a few locator beacons and you have the best anti-infantry in the space marine list moving 24" each turn. The assault Libby isn't worth it for the points, IMO because no matter how you slice it he still only can have three attacks in that build. I prefer a cheap librarian (Usually eposilatory, sometimes not, to be a "Focusing lens" for his attached squad, he brings their wrath to the enemy and enhances the abilities of his squad.

• 5 months later...

I am considering adding a librarian to my little band of merry renegades, and as with my captain, like to find a miniature I like, and then equip it based on the model.

Here's the model I want to use, and as with my captain, consider her to be in power armour (albeit a bit rickety!), but definetely not terminator armour.

CODE

http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/g...ture&id=328

I plan to run her as a support character, running with Terminators, as character and cc elite hunters, and having read the above threads, am considering keeping her cheap, basic 100pt, with Null Zone and Gate, to zip around from first turn, and maximise killyness.

Am new to Librarians, is this a viable build or a turkey, and are there better builds given my desire to keep her cheap?

I run a TH captain in a Razor with a squad for CC hunting, Devs for hordes or tanks and plenty of Tacs for objectives, and don't want to have to start shortchanging the squads (Epistolary upgrade costs over half another combat squad).

Thanks in advance!

After playing my Salamanders for 2 months I love the utility of a 100 point libby with null zone & the avenger. Null zone for the invul heavy armies (Eldar/Deamons/Chaos I'm looking at you) and The Avenger for some nice AP3 template love if/when the libby decides to get out of the land raider.

• 1 month later...

I wanna point out in support of the vehicle damage rules that the lowest result you can get no matter what you roll is a SHAKEN result. You do NOT go below this EVER!

Wether you glance or whatever, you can have minus modifier -10 and still it will be SHAKEN. Read the damage rules carefully.

I play necrons and though i'm new to necrons in general I somewhat know my Monolith rules. And the monolith does NOT ignore shaken/stunned results. They still affect the Gauss Projector (a shaken/stunned monolith will not be able to shoot it's pretty weapons that surround it's 4 corners)

However it is still possible to use the particle whip as it is part of the power matrix that a monolith can ALWAYS use unless it chooses to use it's power matrix to teleport a unit of necrons. So Machine Curse can stop a monolith's multi-shoot firing but not the particle whip as you can't armament destroy it nor shake/stun it to prevent it's use.

I wanna point out in support of the vehicle damage rules that the lowest result you can get no matter what you roll is a SHAKEN result. You do NOT go below this EVER!

Wether you glance or whatever, you can have minus modifier -10 and still it will be SHAKEN. Read the damage rules carefully.

You know, that was 7 months ago in this thread when they were arguing it, just when 5th Edition was released.

Good point, though to be fair that's half the fun of a new edition, right? :)

As far as the Libby is concerned though, I'm quite partial to a vanilla Librarian w/ JP, Avenger and Force Dome. He usually rolls along with my Assault Squad, which I find he is more of a force multiplier for than a JP chappy. Blasphemy i know, but that template seems to do more damage than all the rerolls from the chappy's Righteous Fury or whatever it's called, and FD helps keep them alive to get there. Not to mention his FW to deal with the occasional multi-wound guy. I've also been toying with the idea of a terminator-Libby to tag with my Assault Termies and drop Vortex, but that may be overkill.

Good point, though to be fair that's half the fun of a new edition, right? <_<

As far as the Libby is concerned though, I'm quite partial to a vanilla Librarian w/ JP, Avenger and Force Dome. He usually rolls along with my Assault Squad, which I find he is more of a force multiplier for than a JP chappy. Blasphemy i know, but that template seems to do more damage than all the rerolls from the chappy's Righteous Fury or whatever it's called, and FD helps keep them alive to get there. Not to mention his FW to deal with the occasional multi-wound guy. I've also been toying with the idea of a terminator-Libby to tag with my Assault Termies and drop Vortex, but that may be overkill.

That does sound like a nice combo with the Assault Squad and JP Libby.

Archived