Super Heavy Land Raider Exterminus Project Mk II

Shortsonfire79

I think it looks awesome, but the sponsons look silly in the assembled pic.

*I have no experience with sponson guns so I cannot help you there*

But when the four lascannon sponsons are attached, the one in front severly limits the fire arc of the one behind it,

I would suggest fining a way to extend the sponson so all four lascannons could shoot foreword, becasue the back row of them has limited uses.

Nowe that i look at it again, a good way to combat this problem would be to un-twinlink the rear lascannons by removing the inner one, that would allow a little more or a fire arc.

Thats true and all...but then..that would basically just make this a mondo Terminus Ultra Land Raider...backwards... =-P. And I just sold one of those (BAH!)

I might have to play the sponsons with a slightly smaller ark of fire, and anyways...the rear ones wouldn't be able to fire through the one in front anyways... I might leave it...but that does bring up a good point.

YEAHH!! Mick is finally going to remove them damn mold lines!!!! YESS!!!!

With all due respect, you gotta do something about those sponsons, they look really silly to me.

Maybe having two sponson guns per side just wasnt ment to be. It just doesn't make sense. The terminus ultra setup would be a great way to deal with the lessened fire arc of the rear guns, you could always twin link the front gun vertically to keep it from becoming a souped up Terminus ultra.

BUT your monstrocity of a tank may be able to pull off two sponson on one side. You already have the two layers of tracks (the inner, long ones and the outer normal ones) right?

So, if you put one sponson attached to the outer layer and one in front of the treads in the inner layer...

..ahh, so hard to explain...

Here, a pic should help

gallery_37209_2845_1090.jpg

Not only would your lascannon be able to have a good fire arc, the flamestorms would be much more effective up there. A lascannon up there or hurricane bolters would work nicely as well. I have no clue of the size of the sponsons versus the space i have crudly drawn them into, so you may just have to create a custom sponson to attach the front weapon, or at least heavily modify the existing structure. But that shouldn't scare you, after all, you are the guy who it kitbashing a super heav landraider.

Thanks Omfris and Dibbzi.

Fishspit: I understand what you're saying (with the silliness). But I don't think theres really any other way to get 2 sponson on both side without it looking twice as silly. The twin-link lascannons vertically, would be quite tall, and I think, would look sillier than a normal sponson.

The frontal flamestorms was a good idea, (next to the hatch area), except that it won't fit, or ever look good. The gap that was left is a bit too small to fit an entire sponson, which means that there'd be more cutting and fitting to do.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/LRE/IMG_7764.jpg

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/LRE/IMG_7765.jpg

I could make it fit, but it doesn't entirely look right, and if you look at all other Space Marine vehicles, all the weapons are mounted in the middle.

If this were brough up way earlier, I might have been able to fit the flamestorms where that white piece of plasticard is, behind the second track set, and move the trackset back. That actually might have looked kinda cool!

I also just thought about hard-mounting the flamestorms on the front, but that looks tacky.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/LRE/IMG_7766.jpg

I could make frontal sponsons, but I don't think that would work either (for fluff's sake). Because the way the tracks are angled, there would be several wheels to make that angle, so there would be no space for a weapon emplacement.

Maybe I could work on mounting them on the front, top gun, where the Heavy Bolters or Assault Cannons usually go? It'll be a bit more power than normally allotted, but it looks quite fitting up there.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/LRE/IMG_7767.jpg

I actually like the look of it up there. Good job Fish and Shorts! AND! I can still use that frontal track space for some awesome Dark Angels Iconography.

I've started working on the top plate. This is going to be a daunting task...

And also, heres a size comparison.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/LRE/IMG_7768.jpg

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/LRE/IMG_7769.jpg

The flamestorms look great up there! Some may accuse you of being cheesy becasue of their proximity to the assault ramp, but I think they belong there.

It STILL leaves you with silly double sponson sides however... Maybe you could move of set of lascannons to the top panel? What is the top going to look like anyway, will it just be a bigger LR top or will your beast have a superstructure to it?

The flamestorms look great up there! Some may accuse you of being cheesy becasue of their proximity to the assault ramp, but I think they belong there.

It STILL leaves you with silly double sponson sides however... Maybe you could move of set of lascannons to the top panel? What is the top going to look like anyway, will it just be a bigger LR top or will your beast have a superstructure to it?

Double silly will probably have to stay...1, too much work to remove (though, I could just put doors there), 2, the double twin-linked weapons make it look heavier, 3, I'm not too much a fan of putting the sponsons in the very front like that...

Maybe I can invent long barreled Famestorms!! =-D

The top will most likely be expanded LR top..unless I can find more to put on it, and there will be a Whirlwind Missile Battery on top.

What kind of superstructure do you speak of? I've added supports so that the top plate doesn't bend, but I don't think thats what you're talking about.

I whould make it like option 1. Ofcourse remove the falling in part of the sponson.

Okay Mick, I'll take that into consideration...but..falling in part of the sponson?

Yeah Dibbzi: I want to make another one, without half as many mistakes as this one.

I mean the

I---------- I

I < I-------I

I < I

I < I Flamer

I < I-------I

I---------- I

That side where the arrows are facing to part :pinch:. So the little part that falls ''in'' the LR usually. Sorry my english isnt that good at the early morning <_< .

Edit:

Bah now the right side falls back to the arrows but i atleast hope you understand. Now i reread your post about the sponsons i see you kinda say the same lol

he means the bit that embeds into the LR door slot to hold the sponson in place.

And by superstructure, I mean some sort of turret or conning tower. I don't remeber which superheavy LR thread it was but i remember someone suggesting putting a rhino chassis on top to act as a sort of control room.

I think a stormlord top would look pretty sweet up there too, you could have a partially open topped landraider there too.

I agree with you on the flamestorms, i drew my diagram with little knowledge of the sizes of the sponson VS the space availible.

(Edit: 100th Post! Woot!) B)

he means the bit that embeds into the LR door slot to hold the sponson in place.

And by superstructure, I mean some sort of turret or conning tower. I don't remeber which superheavy LR thread it was but i remember someone suggesting putting a rhino chassis on top to act as a sort of control room.

I think a stormlord top would look pretty sweet up there too, you could have a partially open topped landraider there too.

I agree with you on the flamestorms, i drew my diagram with little knowledge of the sizes of the sponson VS the space availible.

So, its still in the top sponson thing, but its mounted there. I'll think about that.

No turret/con tower. Period. Dogma's original plans were really to make this into a super heavy transport. Like multiple squads. Not a rolling death box.. (though, that would be pretty sweet). The suggestion for the Rhino chassis on top of the other LRE, Dogma's. Neither of us were big fans.

Images supplied by other members.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/SuperTankfront.jpg

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/SuperTanksamll.jpg

There was another I've seen, with a huge demolisher cannon on top..it looks quite...original. I must admit, cool concept though.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/birdseye.jpg

I won't have the LR open at the top, because I didn't bother to deal with internal details, so it looks like crap. #2 will have internal details. YES! #2.

eather A make a twin linked auto cannon for thoes side sponsons, or B thoes 6 twinlinked bolters... frogot there name dang. they would make good defence weapons.

There will be a plethora of different sponsons, it just depends on the materials I acquire. I am still in search for 2 flame storm cannons, and I've been waiting for Hurricane Bolters (thats what they're called =-D ) for almost a month now...the guy needs money to ship them.

Assault cannons (not autocannons, auto are a bit too powerful for what I have in mind) sound like a good idea though. Thanks for that...and I have all the pieces I need for those. =-D

And... A Land Raider Exterminus Decimator's armament is officially 4 twinlinked hurricane bolters(sponson), top heavy bolters.

So I commenced with the Assault Cannons. I really like the look of the Heavy Bolters in the LRP (Prometheus), and I wanted that same look with the Assaults. I can already feel the flak coming at me for certain things..good thing I've already provided my rebuttle.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/LRE/IMG_7802.jpg

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/shortsonfire80/LRE/IMG_7803.jpg

So what is this...2, twin linked Assault Cannons vs 2, twin linked Heavy Bolters (IA2 rules)

Now, I know theres a difference between 3, str5 shots, and 4, str6 shots..with rending..BUT, theres two ways you can look at it.. With the Assaults, the range is reduced by a foot....wow..thats my only arguement! hahah! shame...

Well, "its still over powering" you say...but wait...what about 4 sets of twin linked lascannons? And..what if I throw another set on top?! Like the Terminus Ultra? Ohh ho ho..you sly cracker!.... "but wait, thats only 5 shots, if you mount all 4 of the Assaults on this thing, thats 36 shots! with rending!" you say back..but oh?...its a 'super heavy' no? So..couldn't something like this be able to dish out the anti-infantry?

I'd like to see someone flak me with that..just so I could see what I missed.

And for the actual model, there won't be huge gaps or wrong angles, I used a blue tac equivalent.

Edit: And Fish...man... (can't remember your name), this would be great for the rear sponson set. Since the cannons prevent it from pointing true forwards anyways, it can sit in the back, where it won't need to point full forwards.

Four twinlinked assault cannons, Twinlinked Volcano cannon flamer thingy, Two twinlinked lascannons, forgive my orkish but THATS ALOT OF DAKKA.

Also don't worry too much about making it overpowered, it IS a superheavy after all, you can always throw random rules and up the points cost or something.

ok, stormlord top would be excessive (excessivly awesome!) but I'm in a phase where i'm absolutly obsessed with Vulcan Mega Bolters. It will pass.

A huge rolling death box, as fun as that woud be, would proboly never be allowed by opponents. The AC sponsons could go behind the lascannons and look good, it's just the double lascannons that seem ridiculous to me.

I personally think the rhino top looks great, but i'm sure you have something sweet in mind for the top plate.

(at this point, there isn't much that could make it worse)

Archived