White Scars Army

BrotherAtrox

gallery_23932_2775_513792.jpg

I call him Huleglu the Destroyer.

This is the first test mini I've done for the Scars and the first time I've ever painted white as a base color. It turned out better than I expected, although there were still some issues.

-Spray White

-Blackline with thin Badab Baclk Ink

-Thin Astronomican Grey in shaded area

-Thin Skull White/Grey 1 to 1 mix

-Thin White final

I'm aiming for a relatively quick method of white that still gives me tabletop quality. What do you guys think? Is there something wrong with my recipe? Anything suggestion at all would be welcome. And yes I'm aware of the mold lines, but I was too lazy for just a test fig.

almost identical to how i've seen some done round my neck of the woods. Only suggestion i can make is dropping the astro grey. if you are careful you should be able to do the blacklining and almost feather the edges to give you those tones that you want to achieve with the astro grey. should save time and give a much smoother effect.

Looks good tho as they are and more then adequate for a gaming army.

Looks great! Are the White Scars decals as much of a bugger to get on properly as the Ultramarines' are?

They can be a pain, but I got some Testor's Decal Set and it makes it a lot easier. I also make a small cut, sometimes two, on the top of the decal before I soak it in the water. This helps it fold to the contour of the pad a bit more.

I still need to find some way to sort of "seal" the paint and decal on to make them scratch resistant. Will a varnish coat do this? I've also been told that varnish, in general, makes the model look a bit cleaner. Is this true and if so, how does it work?

almost identical to how i've seen some done round my neck of the woods. Only suggestion i can make is dropping the astro grey. if you are careful you should be able to do the blacklining and almost feather the edges to give you those tones that you want to achieve with the astro grey. should save time and give a much smoother effect.

I will have to try that on the next mini. I've just finished the blacklining phase with him. Pictures before the weekend, hopefully. After that I'll finish the squad and finally get around to building their ride. A brand new Drop Pod. ;) Many thanks for all the feedback. If I can get some extra cash around Christmas time I intend to buy the Ravenwing box set and use that to set off a White Scars army.

a squad of those will look good together on the battlefield,you could do the eyelens dotting to make them pop and drill out the bolter,you can always just dot it with chaos black afterwards

Eye lens dotting is something I could use help with - where do I put the dot? For some reason when I try it I end up getting a marine who looks cross-eyed. ;)

Nice, very crisp white and I love the WS knee pattern.

Green Purity seal shows excellent contrast

Show More

Brother Vespasian

Thank you very much Brother.

Cool Nice looking Marine ( really nice)

But can you do super frik'n fast just like all other things the White Scars do?

Yes! I actually painted this mini in 5 minutes. :lol:

Nah, in reality it took me about an hour and a half. Hopefully that'll go quicker as I paint more, though.

Looks nice.

My only suggestion would be to use some Reaper Master Series black or blue liner paint and a liner brush to do the black lines.

Another thing you can do is get a fine tipped Gundam marker made by Gunze Sangyo of Japan. They are very fine tipped paint pens which are a wonderful tool for black lines. Check your LHS or an online hobbyshop to find them.

Nice, have you considered the red trim that GW did on there white scars?

On the shoulders? Yeah I had but I've also seen a lot of pictures with white and even some (far fewer) with black trim. I just thought White looked better.

My main problem left is figuring out Brotherhood markings. I was thinking about trying to find a Mongolian alphabet and doing something simple...does anyone know of one? Why do I want to say the steppe nomads of Chogoris don't have an alphabet?

Also for basing I am thinking a mix of dead-ish looking grass and snow. It should fit the steppe theme well.

Archived