Actual Scale Captain Orar (using Doghouse's Tutorial)

Pig Of Sparta

very nice, the colors are clean, the gs work is smooth pretty good, okay how did you make the chest eagle?

thanks mate, the eagle is from the baneblade transfer sheet, but i think it's also on the space marine vehicle on as well.

Its a transfer from the IG/SM tank sprue, I think.

Very clean, and great gs :P

thanks lord_bunny, I'm hoping to get him finished soon, I need to get on and paint my 'normal' scale marines.

Pig Of Sparta: Dude that looks so freakin' cool!!! I am sooo envious! That Maximus helmet looks class :P and the body armour looks top class! Really hope you do a couple more and make a squad of these dudes! Paint job is top notch, superb stuff my friend!

@Dorn's Padawan: cheers, I'm glad you persuaded me to do a mark iv helm, I really think it was the best of the three I painted. I may do more, once I get my regular marines painted, I really have to do them first cause pretty much my entire army is unpainted just now.

Ok, I need a little help now, do I put him on a 25mm base or a 40mm base? I know in for gaming he really should be on a 25mm one but his feet hang off the sides, and it looks a little silly I think..... please let me know your opinion on this ;)

James

The modeling is superb and the painting is very nice and clean.

In fact my only criticism is that its... too clean. This is the legendary Captain Orar, I think you should bling him out some more. He should be bedecked with honor badges, trophies, personal heraldry and so on and so forth. The model is superb but it could be truly fantastic and characterfull with some more detail.

Pig Of Sparta: 40 mm mate, that way you can add some decent skulls or destroyed lives as scenery. Cause you gotta quality model, you can do loads with the base!

lord_bunny: Well said that man! :P

I kinda also agre yet disagree with Vash113. I think less is more, you don't want to 'clutter' him up with too much but then again maybe add a little something extra to mark him out from the rest (maybe paint a chevron on the armour or another icon to indicate his rank?).

PS - I agree, the MK IV helmet makes him look the nuts!!! :D

AWESOME.

I am getting tempted to do a single true-scale marine using this method for my Necromunda in Space (working title for the EEF project) 'Rogue Space Marine' (NOT Chaos) hired gun - just to really make him stand out from the others. On a scale of 1-10 how hard would you say this method is to do for a GS AM?

I think if you are going to say this is Orar then he needs bling, however leaving him as a normal marine/sgt. he is fine (just add packs).

Have you thought about mounting him on a Dread./IG Heavy Weapon base? As you are only doing 1 then you should go to town on a display item (screw using him on the table - this guy deserves diplay status) I think a detailed scenic base would work wonders (currently think a WW1 style job, with mud, barbed wire, craters, skulls etc. would look gnar if combined with some heavy weathering).

Again awesome job and DAMN YOU FOR MAKING ME WANT TO DO TRUE SCALE!!!

@lord_bunny: not what I wanted to hear, kidding, but I do really have to get back to my army soon (stares at growing ranks of unpainted mini's with despair in eyes) :D

@vash113: I hear what you're saying about the bling, but I like to think that there are some ranking marines that prefer to be judged by their actions rather than their accolades, and I think Orar would be one of those, according to what little we know of him; 'he was tireless in his efforts to defend the eastern fringe' (paraphrasing) I don't think he'd have had time to recieve medals, however he will have an Iron halo and Iron skull on his shoulder guard, He also bears the Imperial Laurel, as well as a skull and motto badge for his efforts. I might add a couple of trimmed down purity seals as oaths of moment as well, but that's not definate at the mo.

@Dorn's Padawan: I can understand your abivilance (sp?) over vash's comment, but as you probably know, I usually go with the less is more philosophy as well. I know there are some who really like their characters to stand out, but despite the accolades they recieve, I don't think there are many senior marines who'd really want to look like walking trophy cases. ("that's my marksman's badge, my iron skull of course, then there's honouris alpha, that's the inter-company darts competition, that's the Primogenitor Golf Tournament medal...") I might add a little something as I said above, but I really don't want to over do him.

@Blackjack13: go for it, these guys make a really nice change from regular mini's. On a scal of 1-10 I'd say they're about 4 1/2 to 5 for GS amature's. I'm not that great with it myself, but if you take your time with it, you'll grow to love it, just remember to have a dish of water with you at all times, it's amazing how long greenstuff'll take your finger prints for. I've got a few ideas for basing him, that range from having him surrounded by traitor's corpses that have taken a righteous powerfist smiting to him stod atop some shattered building wreckage. However I do like the idea of mud and barbed wire. I found a couple of sites that sell resin display bases so I'll post a couple of designs and see what everyone thinks.

James

Not very much achieved today, got the banner done, although I'm not 100% happy with the symbol's position, and it still needs a little touching up. The shoulder pads are proving to be more of a problem. I originally planned to do them the same way I've done the banner; by adapting an ultramarine transfer, however as I'm sure many people have found (and cursed as I have) there are many transfers that do not fit on to marine shoulder guards without warping, crinkling or otherwise looking poor. So I'm gonna have to try and freehand them, which I didn't want to do as I suck at freehanding. If anyone can offer any tips, I'll be eternally grateful.

Banner:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/q.jpg

-edit- I figured out how to do the left shoulder pad, cut the transfer in half! that way I wouldn't have to worry about it crinkling :HQ:, yay!

left arm:(still needs a little tidying up though)

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/r.jpg

now all I've got to do is figure out how to do the right one...

please feel free to leave c&c

James

Lookin' ace, Pig of Sparta. Still nice and clean, especially the white areas (how do you do that?! :rolleyes:). I third the less-is-more approach for this model, it looks great. :) For freehanding, you could try practicing on a sheet of paper or something first... Actually, spare models would probably be better, so you can get used to working with a curved surface. I'd start by making guidelines, and then filling it out. Start with two thin lines for the bottom, like this: _ _. Make a dot where the apex of the curve will be. On one side (probably the opposite side of whatever your dominant hand is, so you can make sure both sides look the same while you're painting it), starting from the bottom, make a ( going from the inner edge of the _ thing up to the dot, mirror that on the other side (again, starting from the bottom), and then when you're done with that, go ahead and fill out the shape. Shouldn't be too difficult with practice. And don't worry about the placement on the banner, it looks perfectly fine to me.

@RazakelXIII: My white technique is a closely guarded secret, I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.... just kidding :P I used two methods, for the shoulder pads and helmet I just kept the white undercoat as clean as possible and then used several layers of thinned down white to bring it up. For the banner and all the little skulls and stuff I painted them space wolves grey, shaded them with thinned down shadow grey and then again used several thinned coats of skull white to finish them off. You're looking for a consistency something like milk, or maybe thin milkshake.

Thanks for the tip for freehanding, it will come in handy, any ideas on how to free hand an Iron Halo would be appreciated though.

@True Thorn: Thanks mate, I'm hoping to make him a bit more impressive before I'm done though. I kind of like the bolter looking dwarfed by him, I think it makes him look more dangerous when his primary firearm looks a bit like a toy in his hands, sort of makes him all the more superhuman.

My thoughts have returned to basing and I still can't decide what to do with him, so for your edification I have found 3 that I kind of like produced by various stores on the web, let me know which one, if any you think would look good on him.

base one:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/base3.jpg

this is a 25mm detailed base insert on a scenic display base, this is my least favourite because of size and adaptability, I don't think I could add much to this one.

base two:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/basea.jpg

this one I kind of like, I could squeeze a traitor's corpse on here but I think it's too flat...

base three:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/baseb.jpg

this one's kinda my favourite just now, although the skulls pose a bit of a problem, I think a couple of bodies could be strategically positioned to cover the front one in such a way as to suggest that they were hurled down there by the Cap'n. The ones at the back a re a little more problematic, but I guess some greenstuff or something could be used to obscure them.

Alternatively I could always make my own base, and while I'd really like to do this, I'm not very good at making scenic bases myself, so this is kind of a (cop out) last resort.

As usual, let me know what you think.

James

:D Wait, you brought a NEW issue of White Dwarf? wow...

Anyway, he still looks amazing - for the bases if I had to pick I'd say go with option 2 and forget about the body, I think it will detract from the mini which should be the focal point in my opinion, if you want to put something what about a head/helmet? Option 3 is good to but a little tall for a fella who is already on the large side (which in all fairness he should be), I think this would make him look precarious, balanced atop the rocky outcrop with his size. Option 1 is too bland, I agree with you there.

Scenic bases are surprisingly easy to do (at least I think so) - for the WW1 style trench on I said earleir all you'd need to do would be to stick a couple of 'supports', barbed wire, skulls, helmets, larger rocks etc. down then spread putty across it, it not mattering if you slightly cover what is down as it will look more realistic, then clean up the rim (what I will be doing if GW don't ruin the Imperial Guard with the new 'dex...). The only issue with this is that he will look a little 'clean' and out of place for the conveyed setting... (and I doubt you want to battle damage him up)

Actually as you are in the UK check this link - http://www.wargamesworkshop.com/GroupList....=1&DivID=77 - for some more really cool bases (60mm as it will look so good! My personal favourites for this guy would be either 'Tech'/''Ruin #1'/'Old Factory'/possible 'Temple').

Hope I have been of some help

@blackjack13:Thanks for the tip on the website. I was thingin of using a FW renegade miltia mini for the body on base #3 and trying to blend it into the base by using muted colours. I'll have a good think about it and see what I come up with, I think a minimalist base might work, just a chaos helmet or scrap of armour lying around might help keep focus being drawn to much.

I'm in two minds as to whether to rough up the cap's armour or not, I think it'd look good, but only if I got it spot on and I don't want to ruin this guy, I think he's one of the best mini's I've ever painted. I'll see how I feel once I highlight him. ;)

I realy like the model and the way you painted him but if thats Captain Orar That means he should be painted in an ultramarine colour squeme. Captain Orar died ,then a the chapter Sons of Orar was made.

But A very good red (even through I think it looks Orangey but that's probably just me :HQ: ).

Thanks

I realy like the model and the way you painted him but if thats Captain Orar That means he should be painted in an ultramarine colour squeme. Captain Orar died ,then a the chapter Sons of Orar was made.

But A very good red (even through I think it looks Orangey but that's probably just me :lol: ).

Thanks

thanks Drake, I think it could be the way the photos are lit, it really is a very pure blood red.

While I agree with you in principle I think there's scope in the established fluff to allow that an Ultramarine could wear another colour apart from blue. There's several references in the HH books for example, to members of a legion wearing a different colour to those of the rest of their bretheren because of their status or role within the legion (the first couple that spring to mind are the Justaerin of ther Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus, they wear glossy black suits of terminator armour and Sigismund, the original Emperor's champion, who wore black and white despite being an Imperial Fist).

The other reason that I went with him wearing the same colours as his 'sons' was because when the Imperial Fists split into the Crimson Fist and Black Templars during the second founding, The black templars took Sigismund's colours of black and white as their own, so I went out on a limb a little and figured that other chapters probably took their colours from their first masters as well. So I 'back engineered' Orar's colours as it were.

Finally, while I don't dispute your interpretation of the fluff, mine was (based on the new marine codex) that the Sons of Orar claim him as a spirtual patron, but don't know if there's a definate link to him because no records from the time exist. It's entirely possible, although unconfirmed that he fought with the marines who would later take his name, and so they could have taken his colours as well.

James

Archived